View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
labradork
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-07-2011, 06:11 PM

Walks: stressful, enjoyable, or a bit of both?

This seems to be a hot topic on a lot of threads at the moment, so I thought I'd make another.

Generally speaking, what are your walks like?

For me it a complete 50-50 split between walks being stressful and enjoyable. The 'stress' comes from the fact I have three dogs with entirely different issues and personalities. I have one that is slow, lags miles behind at times, scavenges for poo and humps other similar dogs. Another that is extremely excitable and has chasing issues (which can be managed, but is a case of being on the look out and vigilant all the time) and one that is completely obsessed with rabbits and is small enough to go down rabbit holes and dissapear.

Mine don't do all of the above all of the time, but at times it feels like I'm constantly trying to keep one step ahead of them. Sometimes they are great, other times its just...urgh. I'll own a Lassie-like dog one day.
katygeorge
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-07-2011, 06:24 PM
a mix of both for me. Phoebe has issues and we managed to find ways around it so we could both enjoy a walk, but now we have moved house and were trying to find new ways to cope as the old ones dont suit here. Its going ok but i do find walking her quite stressfull, which makes me kinda sad but i also know its my own fault as i never did anything about the behaviour in teh beggining
K'Ehleyr
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-07-2011, 06:28 PM
Id say half and half too. More stressful with staffie as shes more naughty than the pup. Started letting pup off lead and thats stressful but her recall is great so far so Im not as stressed now.
Baileys Blind
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-07-2011, 06:46 PM
It depends on who we see out walkies - if we have a good one where we don't see anyone else then they're stress free. A stressful walk is if we see loads of other people/dogs and unfortunatley it's usually Bailey who causes the issues and the 'it's ok (insert name) is friendly' brigade!!
Ripsnorterthe2nd
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-07-2011, 07:16 PM
It's 50/50 here too, although as Oscar gets older the stressy walks are becoming less frequent. That said like you, with two relatively young, excitable dogs I do have to keep one step ahead especially on walks in parks surrounded by people.

Isla's pretty good full stop really, the only slight problem I have is she has a tendency to be quite bolshy so if they both meet a small timid dog it turns into a bit of a free for all with the little dog trying to get away and my two brutes trying to "catch" it!

Oscar is also obsessed with other dogs and will go running up to have a play regardless of whether the dog wants to or not.

So basically as long as I keep a look out and put one of them on the lead if we see an off lead small dog or just an on lead dog then the walk is pretty stressfree!
K'Ehleyr
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-07-2011, 07:21 PM
Originally Posted by Ripsnorterthe2nd View Post
It's 50/50 here too, although as Oscar gets older the stressy walks are becoming less frequent. That said like you, with two relatively young, excitable dogs I do have to keep one step ahead especially on walks in parks surrounded by people.

Isla's pretty good full stop really, the only slight problem I have is she has a tendency to be quite bolshy so if they both meet a small timid dog it turns into a bit of a free for all with the little dog trying to get away and my two brutes trying to "catch" it!

Oscar is also obsessed with other dogs and will go running up to have a play regardless of whether the dog wants to or not.

So basically as long as I keep a look out and put one of them on the lead if we see an off lead small dog or just an on lead dog then the walk is pretty stressfree!
Are you kidding! You have near death experiences on your walks. Very stressful
Jackie
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

25-07-2011, 07:22 PM
My walks are stress free, as we are billy no mates,and walk in isolated areas, early in the morning , before everyone is up.

Over the years the stress of owning/walking a DA dog has pushed me into this direction... some may say , I am wrong ot do this, but to be honest, at this point in my life anything for an easy life.
Insomnia
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-07-2011, 07:47 PM
Mostly enjoyable to be honest. A little bit of stress but mainly enjoyable. If I was doing ratios I'd say 80/20.
K'Ehleyr
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-07-2011, 07:51 PM
Originally Posted by Jackbox View Post
My walks are stress free, as we are billy no mates,and walk in isolated areas, early in the morning , before everyone is up.

Over the years the stress of owning/walking a DA dog has pushed me into this direction... some may say , I am wrong ot do this, but to be honest, at this point in my life anything for an easy life.
I used to walk my rottweiler late at night. A policeman shouted at me for it and told me not to come out this late on my own
Moobli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-07-2011, 07:57 PM
Mine are mostly very pleasurable. In fact one of my greatest pleasures in life is walking my dogs I tend to walk in very quiet, rural areas.

My stress levels do rise a little if I walk in busier areas such as the beach or woods when I have to be extra vigilant to watch out for other dogs on the horizon, as Yogi is prone to charging up to strange dogs in an overbearing manner!
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 > Last »