Our sister sites
Our sister sites
MarchHound
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-05-2011, 03:38 PM

Dogsey! Where should pup sleep?

Hi Dogsey!!

Am in two minds about where my pup should sleep when she comes home on Saturday. I love dogs, and usually have them in the room (and sometimes in bed.... ooops!).

Pup is young, and not fully housetrained.... so I have two options!

1. Pup sleeps in her crate down stairs. Hopefully she won't pee/poop where she sleeps or wake the neighbours.....

2. Pup sleeps in a deep sided box next to the bed. Hopefully pup will whimper if she needs to go out and will feel less loney as shes in the bedroom?

Im torn? I will want her in the bedroom with me, but is it best for her?

Murf
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

19-05-2011, 03:41 PM
We went with a small travel crate in the bedroom ..
worked well for us ..
sarah1983
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-05-2011, 03:46 PM
I'd also go with a crate in the bedroom. I wouldn't allow full access to the bedroom until house trained but I feel it's better for the pup to be in there with you rather than suddenly going from mum and siblings to being expected to sleep completely alone.
labradork
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-05-2011, 04:00 PM
Personally my dogs have always slept downstairs (first crated, then loose in the kitchen) from day one. I prefer not have dogs in the bedroom at night for a multitude of reasons.

As for what is best for the puppy, well I think every situation is different. If you feel the transition will be easier for the puppy by having her in your bedroom to begin with, do what you feel is best.
Sal
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-05-2011, 04:09 PM
My two slept in there crates next to our bed while young pups then we gradually moved them downstairs.

I found it easy to train them to go through the night,if they woke either me or O/H would get up and take them outside to toilet,no talking,etc keeping things low key.We gradually extended the time each night by a few mins till they went through the night.
SLB
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-05-2011, 04:18 PM
Louie started off in the conservatory, it's only a little one. He was paper trained already - so he had the crate to sleep in and the door open and paper - we couldn't hear his cries and we always made sure he was asleep before we put him down. he would have a play and a wee wees then we'd let him drop off and put him to bed. This was about 11pm. We'd then get up at 6am.

We went on holiday when he was 12 weeks, the crate wouldn't fit anywhere in the caravan - so he slept with the older dogs in the room with us - no accidents at all. So despite my protests he has ended up in the bedroom - but I like it - as soon as my eyes open I have two paws over my shoulders - a body on mine and tonnes of kisses.

I think I did it all backwards - he was supposed to stay downstairs but my OH had his way and now hates the fact that we can't have a cuddle on the bed with the dogs there - his fault he can live with it.

It's up to you where your pup sleeps. We can give you advice but it is totally up to you..
Cassius
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-05-2011, 06:49 PM
Personally I dont' allow my dogs upstairs at all. Never have. Just the way I was broguht up with dogs I suppose.

If you'd prefer the pup to sleep downstairs if that's ultimately where she'll sleep anyway, could you not sleep downstairs with her for a few weeks? Or have a small (ish) crate upstairs which you can move towards the bedroom door little by little?
aerolor
Almost a Veteran
Female 

19-05-2011, 08:19 PM
I think I would go for option 2 - in a high sided box at your side in the bedroom - for the early days. Once the stress of moving to a new place and away from the other pups is overcome, you can gradually move your pup to another place. Choosing this option I think it is the quickest way for your pup to adapt to the change and bond with you. Its also easy to pick him up in the night when he wakes and take him out to toilet (if you intend to take him out in the night).
sachenka
New Member!
Male 

19-05-2011, 08:22 PM
Sacha had 3 nights in a box in our bed room, settled her in new smells etc.. then crate in kitchen with cat litter tray, worked well over winter. Now still crated at night with out litter tray. Worked for her and us.
MarchHound
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-05-2011, 10:17 PM
I have prepared her box. Thanks for the help Dogsey! I would be lost (or possibly finding puddles and presents?) without you!!!!!
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >