Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Insomnia
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-04-2011, 01:24 PM

Where does your dog go with you?

I was just thinking about this the other day. I know there are some dogs who literally never leave the house, there are others who only ever see their block and on the other end of the spectrum, dogs who go literally everywhere with their owners...
Where do your dogs go with you?
These last 2 weeks alone, Axel has been on the train to Macclesfield, Shrewsbury, Warwick and Nuneaton from Wolverhampton. He's been on buses and stayed over at my friends house in Preston, my sisters house and my Mum's house.
Other times it's quieter for us and he'll have his walks in the local area and be at home. I'm lucky that he adapts well and is happy whereever he goes so long as he's with us.
Do your dogs enjoy going everywhere and anywhere with you? Or do they prefer staying at home or only places they know?
Just interested to hear about different dogs and what they like/are comfortable with in terms of busy places/quiet places, etc.
smokeybear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-04-2011, 01:30 PM
They go anywhere and everywhere, all over the UK at all sorts of venues. Totally at home in any sort of venue (and I can't think of any situation they have not been in off hand).

They are very lucky I think to have so many different places to explore, things to do, people to meet and dogs to greet!

Be it outdoors or in, by sea, river, lake, hill, valley, crowded arena, village hall, town street, game fair, show, trial etc

(WEdo not really do public transport except for training purposes though)
krlyr
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-04-2011, 01:37 PM
Now I have a decent car and proper guards on their way, hopefully we'll have some more trips out. They often come with me to my nan's if we go over for dinner though, and used to come to my mum's but with Casper being too OTT for her pup we had to stop that for a while. Now she's a little older we can start walking them together more and hopefully Casper will be welcome back at his "grandma's" house once more
In terms of public places, I don't tend to take them to many places because they're big (and hairy! I try not to inflict Casper's ability to shed a billion hairs on people if I can help it), and Casper's reactivity rules places out - we've been to the local pub a couple of times but to be honest when it's "sitting outside the pub" weather it's normally too warm for the dogs to be that comfortable.
Baileys Blind
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-04-2011, 01:38 PM
I used to take Poppy n Kiara everywhere with me, it got so bad my friends were disappointed if I didn't turn up with them

Since Bailey moved in they tend to stay home much more as Bailey gets really stressed out in places he doesn't know especially if it's loud and noisy.

Seeing as I'm at home mostly now they're with me anyway
SarahJade
Dogsey Senior
Female 

27-04-2011, 01:59 PM
Can vary for Cookie. We used to do a lot of travelling on buses, mainly to OH house, but now I drive he hasn't been on one for over a year.
We spend most of the week with my parents, but weekends at OH's. We have been to house sit for people and Cookie always comes with me. He doesn't care as long as I'm with him.
Walking wise he is much better in quiet areas, or places he can go off lead. He still pulls when he has too much energy, but will walk nicely after a quick run. So I take him round lakes, to parks, long trails etc then we can sit at a pub. I don't mind sitting out with him what ever the weather as long as it is shaded (in summer) or sheltered (in winter) and he doesn't seem to mind either way.
He sometimes comes to friends, and family houses, but most days it's just a walk round our village and a run at the park down the road. Speaking of which now it's slightly cooler we are off to the park. It's got a nice shaded wood area where he can merrily trot around.
kammi_sparky123
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-04-2011, 01:59 PM
I prefer taking Alfie with me as much as I can, as although he is more than happy to stay alone for a good few hours, I would still rather he was there too.

Last xmas we went to my uncles in england for a few days and he came too, if we go to my aunties about 30-40 mins away he comes too. He is excellent in the car which helps. Trip to xmas was about 4 hours drive, and with only one stop, and he didn't make a sound just settled and slept.

In my old job I could take him to work so used to come on the bus with me and was fine too.

Even if I am just going to the bank/building society/chemist he comes too as he can go in there

He settles/adapts pretty much anywhere
k9paw
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-04-2011, 02:15 PM
We haven't really been to many places in the past year but she has been on car journeys and trains to different areas, visiting friends/family, some quiet and others busy(town centres). She seems to cope well and not really phased but interested to explore(little over excitable at times, and bit of a bark sometimes but soon settles down) Am glad Axel is is doing so well and enjoying adventuring with you
TomtheLurcher
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-04-2011, 02:17 PM
I take Tom and Bella everywhere with me to the extent if they are not with me people ask where are the doggies !

They are adaptable to wherever they go and my friends fortunately always expect them to be with us , my only issue is my son races a motorbike and they are not allowed at race meetings so not a lot I can do about that one.

They have been to work with me in London and had a doggy sitter for the day while I been at work and then a walk in Hyde Park in the morning and evening with me. I try to fit them in wherever I go as they are part of our life and our family and wouldnt exclude them unless I had no choice and our hols have been arranged to accomodate doggies too hence the doggy friendly france and spain trips later this year !

My daughter reckons they are my new babies and she now has to bark to get attention ! she is grown up now but she may have a point !
Wozzy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-04-2011, 02:28 PM
They go out on walks with me and they go training, they dont go anywhere else. I'm taking them on holiday for the first time this year but in general day to day life they dont go anywhere else with me, I dont see any reason to take them.
TomtheLurcher
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-04-2011, 02:32 PM
Originally Posted by Leanne_W View Post
They go out on walks with me and they go training, they dont go anywhere else. I'm taking them on holiday for the first time this year but in general day to day life they dont go anywhere else with me, I dont see any reason to take them.
I am surprised Leanne, I thought you would have your doggies by your side always, please dont take that the wrong way , you seem so close to them , I cant imagine you without your woofs !
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 > Last »