Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Sal
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-04-2011, 11:11 AM

Had my Car Insurance renewal

Come through this morning.

I was a little shocked too,they want £387 £17 more than last year.
Then add on the bits and pieces,admin fees,breakdown it comes to nearly £500
So had a few online quotes and I can get it down to £180,a big difference, and even adding on legal cover,breakdown protecting no claims etc it came to just over £300 so still a saving of nearly £200

I ain't paying £495 for a 1.5 Almera Our broker reckons the average policy is now coming out at around £400,I got alot of quotes well under that
tillytheterrier
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-04-2011, 11:15 AM
It will be worth telling your current insurer. When I got my renewel through, I went online and got a cheaper quote so I phoned my company to cancel and they undercut it!
Trouble
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

19-04-2011, 11:48 AM
My renewal came in at over £900 but I shopped around and saved over £400 and still have all the extra's from a quality company. Tis daylight robbery
Kerryowner
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-04-2011, 03:26 PM
I guess we can blame sexual equality for the price rises!

It will have to be age equality soon and people of pension age won't get their insurance any cheaper!
Chris
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-04-2011, 04:58 PM
Insurance is a rip off.

Last year paid £167 for building and contents insurance. Quote came in this year at £900. Apparently, because we live at the coast we live in a high flood risk area and the insurer didn't really want our business. Well, they got their wish, they didn't get it and I got the renewal at £147 from another company.

Village hasn't flooded since the disaster in the 50's and even then the part where we live wasn't affected. Go figure!

Then there was the supermarket trolley saga. One of the damned things flew down a disability ramp on a windy day straight into the front wing of our car whilst we were driving on a main road. My insurance had to cover it as, apparently, B&Q were in no way to blame that their trolley managed to get down their ramp and into my car.

Yep, my insurers coughed up for the damage and then raised my premium the following year to cover it.
labradork
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-04-2011, 05:32 PM
Originally Posted by tillytheterrier View Post
It will be worth telling your current insurer. When I got my renewel through, I went online and got a cheaper quote so I phoned my company to cancel and they undercut it!
I did exactly the same as mine for some reason went up rather than down. I managed to get my existing insurance company to go a bit lower than most of the cheaper quotes I found online. Saved the hassle of switching companies if anything.
Sue L
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-04-2011, 05:55 PM
Had my car insurance through last Friday, gone up from £335 to £507 and nothing happend during the year

Managed to find a quote on line for £321 so phoned insurance company but they could only get it down to £435 so told them what to do with it. Mine is expensive because there are three of us on the policy, me, hubby and eldest son. Can't wait to see what it will be next year
Sal
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-04-2011, 06:30 PM
I did ring our brokers back and told them but they can't get anywhere near the online quotes,so looks like I will be insuring my car with a different company,shame as I have been with these brokers for around 6 years but I ain't paying stooopid premiums

Not really an inconvenience cos I can set up a DD online
kazer
Dogsey Senior
Female 

21-04-2011, 09:24 AM
We got our renewal in March for £575. Went online and shopped around and got £405, then realised that we have a discount card through work and the insurance company linked to it were offering a further 10% off so went with them and down to £365.

Rang our original company to cancel and they asked if they could requote it and see if they could get it any nearer. Came back with £545! Asked me if I be interested in renewing with them and only just stopped myself for asking them if they were having a laugh!

I shop around now every year for the house, car and pet insurance.
Dobermonkey
Almost a Veteran
Female 

21-04-2011, 11:51 AM
ive recently bought a 2nd hand car which is a group 4 insurance (it maybe 6 not 100%) and the insurance was £325 without legal cover. my other car is a group 16! and was £560 last year! I thought my new one would be dead cheap but was shocked at £325 given it is such a low group. hopefully the other one will get sold befori have to reinsure it!!
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >