View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Phil
Fondly Remembered
Male 

05-10-2011, 11:31 PM
What do I hate most about picking up poo ?

The fact that I find about half a dozen kids socks per month and have done for 10 years.
1cutedog
Dogsey Senior
Female 

06-10-2011, 12:43 AM
It doesn't bother me picking up poo but then again I wouldn't have a great dane or a st bernard or anything as the bigger the dog the bigger the amount I use thin sandwich bags 800 for £1 from Poundland, they are very thin and I can get loads in my pockets. I don't mind picking up poo as long as it's fresh. In winter I find it great as a handwarmer Put it in the bag and then clutch the bag in my hand and it warms up my frozen fingers.

I used to have a poop scoop years ago and found it handy if the dog pooped in the garden at night in the dark and I couldn't pick it up until the next morning as I hate the feel of the cold ones.
DoKhyi
Almost a Veteran
Female 

06-10-2011, 09:09 AM
Originally Posted by doggirl View Post
I know what u mean with cold poo! my naz has a nasty habit of doing his business on top of a poo thats not been scooped.
Aaaagh! Naughty Naz! I think I must be the only one round here that picks up after my dogs and many a time I've reached down and grabbed the wrong turd. Icky icky icky!
DoKhyi
Almost a Veteran
Female 

06-10-2011, 09:15 AM
Originally Posted by Phil View Post
What do I hate most about picking up poo ?

The fact that I find about half a dozen kids socks per month and have done for 10 years.
It can be quite an adventure seeing what comes out. My first shar-pei used to eat remote controls and many a time she's produced a lovely poop bejewelled with bits of green circuit board (thank god she never ate the half with the batteries in). She ate CDs, a mirror, a sanitary towel she saw in the street, pens galore, toy stuffing, you name it. How she didn't end up in the vets with a blockage or perforated bowel I have no idea. The TM is not quite as bad, but as a puppy there's many a time I've had to pull stray bits of rope toys out of his bum or he'd eaten stones out of the yard and it sounded like a senorita playing castanets when it hit the floor.
wallaroo
Almost a Veteran
Female 

06-10-2011, 10:51 AM
I have poo bags in my trousers, coats, waterproofs, bag, car etc they are small, cheap and easy to carry. I'd only use a scooper if there was some reason I couldn't bend down far enough.

I know its disgusting but I actually prefer to hold the poo (once its in a bag obviously!) and often give it a little squish just to check its texture and check if he's been eating anything he shouldn't! Cold poo is the worst if he's been out at night and I've waited for daylight before collecting it, especially if its been rained on. Not much you can do with diarreah, except rinse it off where possible.

p.s. I prefer the black bags, usually 100 for £1 or cheaper depending where i buy them
SuperBarkBolt
Dogsey Junior
Female 

06-10-2011, 11:41 AM
Can i let everyone know that they can get Doggy poop Bags FREE from there local libraries they are red and you can't see thru them reason why i know this is my mum works in the library and always brings them home for myself and my brothers Dogs!

They aren't Scented mind but once you tie up the bag you dont smell it , Thumbs up to the councils for free poo bags,
Only totally agree on the poop bins not enough of them, As i use old Faithful Hand in a Bag
Also the owners of Dogs that DON'T pick up their dogs poop i always say if i see someone walk away "Are you going to remove that ?" then they say "I don't have anything," and then I pull out a Bag and Hand them it!!!!
1cutedog
Dogsey Senior
Female 

06-10-2011, 06:44 PM
Free bags are possibly not available over all the UK. From what I've heard our local libraries no longer do the free bags and I have to say I'm glad they've stopped them. I've never agreed that poop bags should be given out free. Why should they, you can buy cheap bags and it's part of being a dog owner and as the money is probably coming from council tax why should non dog owners have to pay for something that the dog owner should pay for themelves.

I've seen piles of the free bags all over the park at times. When things are free, people abuse the privelige of getting it free and so it ends up costing too much money.
Harry25
Dogsey Senior
Female 

06-10-2011, 08:44 PM
I use Tesco value nappy sacks, and take a carrier bag to put the full nappy sack in. The thing I hate the most is when it's raining, the poop can be difficult to pick up if you're not quick and it's started to get wet. Also having to carry it round for the rest of the walk due to lack of bins, but that's why I take a carrier bag, so it's not so obvious what it is
MarchHound
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-10-2011, 08:59 PM
As a dog walker, lover and carer, I will admit I have no issue with picking up poops in a bag. The only thing I dislike is having to carry the bag until I find a bin which can sometimes be a chore.

Would rather pick up in a bag than step in some
Northernsoulgirl
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-10-2011, 03:35 PM
I've got one of those pink bone shaped thingies that you can clip to the dogs collar or your own belt. The bags inside are pink too - I always mean to take it with me because I think it's a great idea BUT always end up with the common old carrier bag in my coat pocket. The only trouble with those are, you have to check for the odd holes that sometimes appear in the bottom, then I use 2. Pooper scoopers IMO are a waste of time, messy and useless.
Page 6 of 8 « First < 3 4 5 6 7 8 >