View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
HollyG1
Dogsey Senior
Female 

12-09-2011, 08:16 PM
I'd prefer they're left as they are there for a reason such as sensing object if they have poor eyesight - although no where near as good as a cats they still aid the dog.
I don't like it but i don't consider it cruel
Gnasher
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-09-2011, 08:17 PM
Found this interesting piece of info:

"Whiskers serve as delicate sense organs of touch and are believed to be as sensitive as our fingertips. They are sensitive to vibrations in air currents. As the air moves, the whiskers vibrate, and dogs use messages in these vibrations to sense the presence, size and shape of nearby objects. Whiskers help protect the eyes. Any touch to the whiskers causes the eyelids to blink."

Off to see if touching Tai and Ben's whiskers causes them to blink!
smokeybear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-09-2011, 08:20 PM
When this came up originally on another forum we all went off and did it, it makes no difference to my dogs nor did it for many others.
Gnasher
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-09-2011, 08:20 PM
Very interesting - gently stroking Tai's whiskers without actually touching his body resulted in blinking. With Ben, he just thought this was an excuse to mouthe me! So hard to tell whether he was blinking or not!
Gnasher
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-09-2011, 08:22 PM
Originally Posted by smokeybear View Post
When this came up originally on another forum we all went off and did it, it makes no difference to my dogs nor did it for many others.
Definitely did to Tai - he blinked, but as I say with Ben, it was just an excuse to have a mouthe!
Tassle
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-09-2011, 08:36 PM
- just spent a bit testing it on mine and it all seems to trigger the blinking!!

Although it is hard to touch just the whiskers! Siren is the easiest one to see it on as she has Huuuge whiskers (I have debated trying to teach her to move them on cue - we are part way there as she does a very pronounced movement when she does a hand target)

ETA - I love my dogs whiskers and would hate for them to be chopped off - but I groom a few dogs who have their faces trimmed or even shaved and it does not seem to bother them in the slightest
Gnasher
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-09-2011, 08:39 PM
Originally Posted by Tassle View Post
- just spent a bit testing it on mine and it all seems to trigger the blinking!!

Although it is hard to touch just the whiskers! Siren is the easiest one to see it on as she has Huuuge whiskers (I have debated trying to teach her to move them on cue - we are part way there as she does a very pronounced movement when she does a hand target)
It is difficult isn't it, but Tai is lying sparko in the hall and I focussed very hard on just touching his whiskers and immediately his eyelids flicker and if you continuously stroke them his eye lids sort of go into a spasm of continuous flickering such that they are seemingly still, so fast are they flickering - very interesting indeed.
Gnasher
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-09-2011, 08:40 PM
Just as a matter of interest - why on earth would anyone want to trim their dogs' whiskers in any case?
smokeybear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-09-2011, 08:41 PM
Show ring.
Harry25
Dogsey Senior
Female 

12-09-2011, 08:42 PM
I have "trimmed" one or two of Poppy's whiskers from time to time, but only if they are poking her in the eye, and then only snipped the offending end off.
Page 5 of 21 « First < 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 15 > Last »