Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Tori
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

31-05-2011, 04:10 PM

Food flavours

Just wanted to know if you feed your dog the same flavour of food each time?

Because of Harveys allergies he's limited to what he can get and i was thinking about changing to fish4dogs the dry food salmon complete, he doesnt like the other one, but i was thinking was it fair to give him the same one everyday because with James wellbeloved i could alternate between the fish and turkey ones.
smokeybear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

31-05-2011, 04:13 PM
Originally Posted by Tori View Post
Just wanted to know if you feed your dog the same flavour of food each time?

Because of Harveys allergies he's limited to what he can get and i was thinking about changing to fish4dogs the dry food salmon complete, he doesnt like the other one, but i was thinking was it fair to give him the same one everyday because with James wellbeloved i could alternate between the fish and turkey ones.
So why change then?
Tori
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

31-05-2011, 04:19 PM
Originally Posted by smokeybear View Post
So why change then?
He was starting to chew his paws usually his allergies and i was worried he was getting to much Turkey and wondered whether to change to see if there was any change.
but to be honest i will probably stick with it, just wanted to see if people always fed the same one.
Duck
Dogsey Junior
Female 

31-05-2011, 05:15 PM
I always feed the same dried food as jasper has allergies and this one seems to suit him. they only do one flavour in the large breed one tho do he has no choice but to have the same one all the time. altho i mix wet food in it and the one i get has 4 different flavours so he gets a different flavour of that every day.

i would say that if the food your dog is on is suiting him then i wouldnt change it as it could flare up his allergies again.
sarah1983
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

31-05-2011, 05:44 PM
I always feed the same flavour dry food, salmon and potato. I've found that if I keep changing flavours Rupert gets really fussy and will only eat if I manage to guess which flavour he wants (that may be humanising him a bit but when you offer each one in turn and he turns his nose up at all but one and that one changes daily.....). If I want to give him a bit of variety I'll buy a wet food he can have and give that for a meal or just add some scraps or veg to his regular food or give him a raw bone.
Hevvur
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

31-05-2011, 06:55 PM
Teagan has been on the same food for 4 years, and in large breed they only do the 1 flavour (chicken and rice), so she's had that!
No complaints from her, she loves it now just as much as she did when it was 'new'.
wallaroo
Almost a Veteran
Female 

31-05-2011, 07:58 PM
toby has salmon and potato all the time, with a few treats to make it more interesting occasionally (ie anchovy, tuna, carrot, tomatoes). He used to be on JWB trkey and rice but has been so much better since we switched to the salmon and potato.

If harvey has only just started to chew his paws are you sure it is the food? Toby is getting his seasonal itches at the moment with all the new plants/grass
Harry25
Dogsey Senior
Female 

31-05-2011, 08:14 PM
Poppy always has chicken and rice or turkey and rice, depending what brand she's on. Lamb and rice upsets her stomach, it's too rich. Fish and potatoe also upsets her stomach.
Kerryowner
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

31-05-2011, 09:19 PM
I changed Cherry and Parker on to the senior version of "barking Heads" and the wind has been horrendous!

I normally feed them home-cooked and have the kibble as a back-up. They have mackerel or whatever fish is on offer/reduced plus wholemeal pasta (i get different shapes each week so they don't get bored ) and veggies plus a bit of yogurt too and some hard-boiled egg. They certainly never get bored with this and they are usually forming an orderly queue near the kitchen when it's close to feeding time!
Tori
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

31-05-2011, 09:39 PM
Thanks everyone, if i did change just didn't want him to be bored but i think i would mix in some wet food or veggies.
I'll stay with JWB just now.

Originally Posted by wallaroo View Post
toby has salmon and potato all the time, with a few treats to make it more interesting occasionally (ie anchovy, tuna, carrot, tomatoes). He used to be on JWB trkey and rice but has been so much better since we switched to the salmon and potato.

If harvey has only just started to chew his paws are you sure it is the food? Toby is getting his seasonal itches at the moment with all the new plants/grass
He was chewing his paws a few years ago and they were more or less bald, so thats when at the vets i found out about his allergies basically he has an allergy to most meat except Turkey and Fish, so i changed his diet and his treats and he's been fine ever since but now he started again but since you said seasonal allergies it made me think because the vet said something about Birch and Elder/Alder? but he never seemed botherd by the outside allergies since i changed his diet so thats what made me think it was the food.

Originally Posted by Kerryowner View Post
I changed Cherry and Parker on to the senior version of "barking Heads" and the wind has been horrendous!

I normally feed them home-cooked and have the kibble as a back-up. They have mackerel or whatever fish is on offer/reduced plus wholemeal pasta (i get different shapes each week so they don't get bored ) and veggies plus a bit of yogurt too and some hard-boiled egg. They certainly never get bored with this and they are usually forming an orderly queue near the kitchen when it's close to feeding time!
Wow this sounds really good, i love that you get different shapes of pasta lol
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >