View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Lorna
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-05-2010, 10:59 AM
Puppies go backwards and forwards a lot. This new dog has interrupted the routine you had before, and I never ever feed mine in the same room, , and only treat them if its a small tibit taken from my hand for a dual sit or down for example. But if Chase has a larger treat I use it as an opportunity to train puppy so that neither is jealous.

My honest advice, get rid of the dog you're looking after, its doing more harm than good, clearly not up to putting up with a pup and isn't teaching your pup the manners it needs to learn from other dogs.
IsoChick
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-05-2010, 11:20 AM
At 11 weeks old, I don't think the fact that your puppy is a 'Northern' breed has anything to do with it.

I have 2 Boxers, and when Murphy was little, he used to make Max's ears and face bleed from hanging off it with sharp puppy teeth. He bit my trousers, my hands, sleeves, Max's tail etc

Rough play is part and parcel of it. He is just testing what he can and can't do. Same goes for the taking treats off the other dog. Max would let Murphy take food off him, to a point. Then one day just went berserk at Murphy as if to say "No, I've had enough, this IS mine...."

Just because you thought you'd got the training/house training/bite inhibition nailed, doesn't mean it is. He is only 11 weeks old. You wouldn't expect an 11 week old baby to be toilet trained. A puppy won't have complete bladder control until at least a few months old.

With regards to the training, again, just cos he could do it a few weeks ago, doesn't mean anything!
Max is 4 and apparantly very well trained.... until you take him to do his Good Citizen test, and he apparantly can't even remember what sit means (or down, or come, and he wouldn't consent to being examined by the tester either.... )

I think that Northern breeds can be a bit like bully breeds - stubborn, strong-willed and physically strong, do their own thing when they want to, they play hard and rough regardless of who they're with.
Lynn
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Gold Supporter 

28-05-2010, 11:28 AM
My dog isn't a northern breed but is a very stubborn breed.

I agree with the others he is a baby as for house training my previous dog was very good he was 5 months old when house trained until then we had the odd accident in the house.

Ollie was 12 months. He would wee and pooh on the rugs so out they went and we just had too keep persevering no shouting, just no Ollie in a calm stern voice then straight outside and every time he did do one outside treat even though the next half a dozen would be in the house.

I don't want too sound rude but what did you actually expect from a puppy what ever the breed they are hard work and you have too be prepared to put the work in, 11 weeks old is nothing .

Did you research the breed you have and the hard work and the stubbornness they would repay you with till they are mature.

Have a cuppa and a think and decide if you have the patience too actually deal with this problem (which isn't really a problem just a pup being a pup) if you are stressing now wait till he hits the teenage stage. You really will have your work cut out.

As for the paw on the other dogs neck if they were a lot older and had a bit of a spat in an open space and were both on their feet I might be inclined to agree it was dominance in as much one would be telling the other I am taking charge had enough of your pestering back down and go away.

I do believe but stand corrected if I am wrong Northern breeds much like the mountain dogs use their paws a lot in communication with other dogs and humans it is not dominance and certainly not from an 11 week old puppy.

Sorry if I have offended you that was not the intention.
TangoCharlie
Dogsey Senior
Male 

28-05-2010, 12:03 PM
Originally Posted by Steve + Nanook View Post

I'm trying to get him to do the things that up until a few days ago, he had no problem doing. Sit, stay, down, paw, leave etc. it's only been a few days since he is frequently spending more time peeing in the house than outside, thankfully it's not the number 2's.

If his behaviour has so suddenly change I would take him to the vet and find out if there is an underlying health issue going on here.
Have you changed his food recently?

And it's puppy behaviour. Although breed comes into it, what you describe is pretty normal puppy behaviour. You have to manage situations and allow for set backs. He is v young and he is not planning on taking over the world!
TangoCharlie
Dogsey Senior
Male 

28-05-2010, 12:12 PM
Are there any breeds that behave well as puppies. Everyone I speak to has a 'difficult, stubborn, head strong' breed!
Labman
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

28-05-2010, 12:16 PM
Nothing wrong with having an older dog in the house that doesn't want to play. In Aster's last 5 years which she spent with us, we introduced 6 new puppies plus many visitors. Each one took many lessons on both her part and ours to get the puppy to leave her alone.

Samson joined us this year at 8 years old. He is still quite active and seems to enjoy playing with Raven. But he will be aging and in future years, will find our puppies too much. He will provide them lessons that not all dogs want to play, and no means no.

I am not sure why you have the older dog, but see no problem. We have sometimes sat older dogs including Aster's mother. It is a valuable experience for the puppies.
ClaireandDaisy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-05-2010, 12:34 PM
Originally Posted by Steve + Nanook View Post
P.S. From those who replied, I see none are current owners of a northern breed. I presume you all have had experiences with them, right?
`northern breeds` are not specially difficult
All breeds have their characteristics of course, but that`s just what you work with - like GSDs and Rotties guard and gundog breeds carry stuff about, and terriers dig.
So since your breed has a lot of GSD in it - yes, I have had experience with one of the breeds that have gone into `northern breeds`.
werewolf
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-05-2010, 12:40 PM
Originally Posted by ClaireandDaisy View Post
It`s a dog - what do you want it to do? Play its X-Box? Young dogs are hard work. You get the benefits later. It`s no good moaning about it behaving like a dog.
Three weeks of stress? Get a grip, man. If you want a peaceful life get a goldfish. If you want a lifetime of fun, despair, heartbreak and joy, get a dog.
You get back what you put in.
Good post xxx Pups are pups xxxxxx
labradork
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-05-2010, 01:03 PM
I take it the other older dog isn't a permanent addition to your household? perhaps try keeping your puppy on a long line when in the presence of the older dog. That way you physically have control of him before he gets over the top. I know with my dogs as pups, I would always encourage them to settle on their beds in the house and leave all the wild games for in the garden and walks. I drilled in the 'lie down' and 'on your bed' command from day one. This did involve lots of very boring repetitiveness; me sitting on the bed with them to encourage them to settle, using a long line if need be, rewarding them for quiet behaviour when they are laying down nicely, etc. Not easy with a stubborn pup with an attention span of a gnat, but we got there eventually.

Regression IS normal for puppies of ALL breeds. One day they will be little stars, the next they will be total horrors and you'll be asking yourself why you thought getting a pup was a good idea; that is dogs for you. With all breeds the first year is the most difficult. As others have said, if you think now is bad, wait until he hits 'adolescence'.

Do you have anyone you can meet up with for doggy play dates? I'm not familiar with Malamutes, but understand that males especially can be assertive with other dogs. So, he needs all the help he can get really to nip this OTT behaviour in the bud. The only way he can learn 'nice' doggy manners is to interact with lots of his own kind.
Dobermonkey
Almost a Veteran
Female 

28-05-2010, 01:34 PM
How is he with 'other' dogs?

the paw on the shoulder thing, my boy does that but for him its more of a 'stick your paw in cause its safer than sticking your chops in to gauge reaction' and if the dog doesnt tell him to f off then RESULT LETS WRESTLE! (and dobe and EBT wrestling to the uninitiated could be construed as out and out dog fighting but its how they 'play')

Have you spoken to your breeder about your concerns? What were his parents like in the temprement department?

The only experience I have of northern breeds is DC the Malamute who thought i was erm 'hot'

3 weeks is a drop in the ocean mate seriously. Never train when you arent in a calm frame of mind i was always told. And the monsters do regress on a regular basis and with another dog in the mix you are even less interesting than you were to start with (4 legs are after all way more fun than 2 legs!)

Have you had a puppy before?

edited to say: that was a lie about 1 malamute actually one of the agility trainers has one! He seems like a nice guy (shes getting a second one shortly and her first is only a few months old) behaves well with the other dogs and has wild wrestles with one of the spaniels.
Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >