View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
jackiew
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-08-2008, 08:56 AM

Been in Hospital again and treated terrible!!

sorry it is a bit long, want advice at the end

well as some of you know i have a condition called IBH (intercranial benign hypertension) Pressure in my head,
well over the last week it has been getting really bad,saturday was so bad i could not hardly see had not eaten for 3 days and was walking like i had had 20 pints of strong beer, so off we go to A&E, booked in at 8AM saw the triage nurse who thought i was making a fuss over nothing!!!
made me sit in the waiting room till 10.40AM sweating, being sick and almost passing out!!
got called through to the bays and sat on a chair, when the doctor came to see me i almost passed out so they finally got me a bed to lay on, after explaining to the doctor what i have and what has been going on she admitted me and got me a bed on the medical assessment ward, we got to the ward and they were lovely, two nice doctors came and spoke to me and agreed i was very poorly and needed a lumber puncture under xray conditions (need them under xray conditions as i have had so many and my back is a bit messed up from them) then they gave me some morphine and i feel asleep, hubby went home to get me some night clothes and washstuff
could not faul the staff on this ward they were lovely, put me in a quiet bay with only one other person, so there was no noise, and also kept all the lights out cos of my eyes, really thoughtful nice staff.
then another doctor came and said they do not do LP's under xray conditons in the hospital and why do i need them, i explained why and what my neurologist had said and he moaned and said well you will have a long wait cos you will have to be transferred to the Walton Centre
i didnt mind the wait as it is the only way to get into the Walton centre, they do not have a A&E as such.
so i fell asleep again, hubby came and went and asleep i was again
Then at 11.30PM i was woken to say they were moving me to a ward, so off i go, got to the ward i was put in corner and all the lights were off as it was late, the nurse came and took my blood pressure and i went to sleep, only to be woken by someone shouting!! it really hurt my head and i started crying, the nurse tutted at me and went about her duties, now i was burning up and needed a fan, they got me one but it didnt work very well, i told the nurse and she said oh just make do!!
well 6AM came and OMG!! felt like i was in hell, they nurses put all the lights on, so i shut my curtains, then they started to talk to my ward companions (elderly ladies) now nothing against elderly ladies but their hearing is abit low so all the nurses were shouting!!! well i was in tears, and the nurse opened my curtains and said "whats up with you??" i asked her to close the curtains and she said well it is daytime, when i asked her if she knew of my condition she replyed "yes you have a headache"
well that was it, i rang my hubby and told him to get me out of their, he rang and complained and they said they would get me a pair of earplugs and face mask
well i left the hospital very ill yesterday and am now at home awaiting to go into the Walton centre for my LP under xray conditions
am still really poorly but feel i cannot let this drop
we complained to the hospital who were not interested

do any of you know of an independant body that i can complain too as i am not gonna let it go, not this time (this is the 2nd time they have treated me this way over my condition)
Lynn
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Gold Supporter 

12-08-2008, 09:00 AM
That is dreadful Jackie. Have the Hospital got a website most do now and they have a complaints procedure you can do on line.
Hope you feel much better soon.xx
dori-katie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-08-2008, 09:38 AM
That is awful you poor thing.
I do wonder why some people become nurses. so rude.
I agree with Lynn there must be a website to look at and see if there is anything on there.
I hope you get your appointment soon n and start to feel better.
xxxx
shiba
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-08-2008, 09:54 AM
Oh i am so sorry, this bought a lump to my throat.

My mum was terminally ill with a brain tumour for nearly 3 years, i was her carer. We had similar stuff happen to us. At one time the steroids wasted her leg muscles and she couldn't walk, had to use a wheel chair.

I remember the physio people coming to her bed and saying " right, jump out of bed mrs so and so", mum looked puzzles and tried to explain where they interupted and said come on don't be so silly, jump out.

They mixed her medication up, they sent her home from
a & e saying she had a migraine, she then had a grand mal seizure in the exit door, this list goes on and on unfortunately.

I am not proud to say this but at one point, i chased a male doctor into his room and pinned him up against a wall, again just constantly rude and awkward and i flipped.

Any way i typed a 12 page complaints letter to the women who was in charge of the bristol national health service can't remember her name, but i got the details from the hospital. Ring them up and ask what there complaints proceedure is and who to write to and don't be fobbed off, make sure you put it in writing.

The doctor was looked into and so was all the nurses who made errors, and i have been told that my mums case and symptons are in records in a&e so that they dont make mistakes again like they did with her. Don't know if it is but it made us feel good that all these idiots who treated us so badly had to explain themselfs to someone higher than them.

Good luck, sorry you where treated so bad, if i had one bit of advice i would say make a fuss, noise because things seem to get a move on when you do.
Blackie's Mum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-08-2008, 10:21 AM
we have got a patient advice line and they were helpful when i had problems with the dentist i was going to.

have a look on your health authority website.

so sorry you are feeling ill again - missed you as been following the progress of your baby birds

sue
Lionhound
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-08-2008, 10:23 AM
How awful for you and totally unacceptable.

As Shiba said, phone the hospital and they will tell you their complaints procedure.

I hope you get your LP soon and start to feel human again.

Good luck x
jackiew
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-08-2008, 10:24 AM
just rang the Healthcare Commission, and they say i have to put it in writing and wait for a reply within 25 days and if i am not happy with the reply then they will take it up for me

Thank you Lynn ,PALS came to see me yesterday as i was leaving and said there is nothing they can do for me, they said there do not have many side rooms any more so what did i want???
i tod them i did not ask for a sideroom or any special treatment just for my condition to be taken into consideration

hubby said you wouldnt make someone with a broken leg walk to the toilet and they said that was different!!!!!!!!!!!! how we dont know

Thank you Dori-katie
am awaiting my doctor calling me now to see if he can get my LP sorted soon

Thank you Shiba
That is really terrible how they treated your mum
when we were in A&E and i was being sick and almost passing out the nurses were walking past and just looking at me, and taking people in who had black eyes and who had been fighting before me, i know they are in order of priorty but mine is not self inflicted and can be very dangerous unleft, but they made me feel as if i was putting it on, i told the nurse wish she could have this for 5 mins she would soon chnage her mind
they really made me feel like i was making a fuss over nothing

i still feel so ill and just wanna curl up and not wake up at the moment, instead i am on the pc and phone trying to complain and get some treatment
Louise13
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-08-2008, 10:27 AM
Don't you have a Public Services Ombudsman?? Ask them who to complain to first and if you don't get any satisfaction send it all to them..

Hope you feel better soon Jackie.xx
CLMG
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-08-2008, 10:29 AM
OMG Jackie, what a teribble ordeal for you, I know the staff are under paid and over worked, but there is no excuss for rudeness, I thought nursing was a caring profesion I have no idea who you can complain too, but there must be someone or somewhere you can, I hope you get your LP soon, and start to feel a lot, lot better quickly ((((HUGS))))

In no way even remotely as bad as your treatment, but a good few years ago my lady doctor sent me up the hospital for tests, and when I went back to her she said I had a Hyatus Hernia, and nothing to worry about, and in her oppinion, they were so common they should be rulled out as a medical complaint well I guess she didn't have one, I only hope she's suffering from one know
jackiew
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-08-2008, 12:21 PM
Thanx everyone

i have just written a long letter to the chief executive at the hospital with my complaint, they say he will get back to me within 25 working days

i feel sooo ill right now am considering going back and putting up with the bad treatment

am awaiting my doctor getting back to me, but i called at 9am this morning

oh why did my neurologist take his holiday now, when i need him most
they say at the Walton centre there is no one who can overide me getting the LP at the moment

so i just have to suffer it seems
Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 > Last »