Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Tang
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-01-2013, 06:23 PM
Oh here you go lol!

The most prevalent species of venomous spiders in Israel are the brown recluse and the black widow. Although the black widow is more notorious than the recluse, for every bite by a black widow there are hundreds of recluse bites reported. Despite the numerous bites, there is little awareness amongst physicians with regard to the clinical signs of recluse bites, and very often the wrong diagnosis is made, resulting in complex and unnecessary treatments. The basis of this error stems from the numerous clinical diagnoses which closely imitate a recluse bite, the relative scarceness of documented recluse bites and the fact that in most cases the spider is not witnessed by the victim. The following article describes three cases of children admitted to our department, presenting with high fever, a necrotic lesion and an extensive maculopapular rash. The children were eventually diagnosed with brown recluse bites. Furthermore, the article summarizes the literature regarding the clinical signs of recluse bites, possible complications and treatment options. The objective of this review is to increase awareness towards recluse bites, thereby preventing misdiagnoses and unnecessary treatments.
Malka
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

18-01-2013, 06:28 PM
I wish I had not read that...
Nippy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-01-2013, 06:59 PM
Originally Posted by Tangutica View Post
lol Nippy - I now hate SPIDERS so much that I don't even like reading your name 'nippy'
Hahaha sorry! My Nippy is fast not bitey.
Hope it improves soon.
Tang
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-01-2013, 09:31 PM
Malka you make me laugh. You should DEFINITELY NOT google Brown Recluse spiders and ABSOLUTELY not watch any of the vids lol!

*of course I did at first and thought I was DOOMED - I am now apparently not only going to survive but survive with my hand and all my fingers too!
Malka
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

18-01-2013, 09:36 PM
Originally Posted by Tangutica View Post
Malka you make me laugh. You should DEFINITELY NOT google Brown Recluse spiders and ABSOLUTELY not watch any of the vids lol!

*of course I did at first and thought I was DOOMED - I am now apparently not only going to survive but survive with my hand and all my fingers too!
Too late - I already did at your first mention of a Brown Recluse Spider...

...and now I dare not go to bed!
Tang
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-01-2013, 09:39 PM
The good news is you don't have to go wearing yourself out getting rid of cobwebs. It doesn't spin a web. And only bites if pressed up against you. I think I put my hand on it when I picked my bag up from the ground. That or it was on my steering wheel when I got back in the car - I'd parked under overhanging bushes for shade and left window open (won't be doing that again!)

People usually get bitten if it is in a shoe or boot and they squash against it when putting them on. It doesn't actually go around looking for people to bite. In fact I believe it is quite 'reclusive' lol!

*hates reclusives now as well.

would have been a lot worse if it had been my little dog that got bitten. She would not have survived it. But it was her fault. I was only down there in the scrub walking her!
Bitkin
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-01-2013, 09:48 PM
Oh my goodness..........you poor poor thing. What a horrendous experience, but thank goodness you are still alive and still have all limbs etc. intact.

*views spider on wall of study with great suspicion
Tang
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-01-2013, 12:10 PM
Update - pleased to say that my last visit to the doc was on Friday and he was very pleased with it - just dot plasters over the weekend and now the hole has completely closed over and no dressings required. It's a bit 'leathery' and I guess I will have a scar - but it is pain free and clear of all necrosis and infection. Itches like mad but no worse than you itch when you've peeled after sunburn. Here's a pic I took yesterday. You can see how big it was at it's worst as the 'edge' is still visible. Haven't let it put me off the Salt Lake - was there again yesterday but I avoid the BUSHES and undergrowth like the plague!

tawneywolf
Female  Gold Supporter 

30-01-2013, 12:26 PM
Looks at piccies and runs away and hides
Tang
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-01-2013, 05:17 PM
Don't hide - that's what these spiders do - they don't spin webs they just hide - that's why they call them 'brown recluse' lol!

*don't think they've migrated to the UK yet
Page 4 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >