Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Collie Convert
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-01-2011, 02:01 PM

Argggh, neutering harassment!!!

Maverick is 9 months old now, when i go to training or get chatting to various people at shows or out and about i always get asked "is he neutered?" i tell them "no" then get asked when he is being done- when i tell them i have no intention whatsoever to get him neutered people look so shocked!

why? ...because if it aint broke dont fix it! is my attitude, then i get the usual "he will become male aggressive" ...ermmm, i dont think so, i happen to know my dog very well and know that if anything, neutering would make him less confident (he slightly lacks confidence) and more likely to become fear aggressive.

And besides that- he is only 9 months old- very much still a baby both physically and mentally.

It just irritates me so much that i feel i have to explain my decision to people. I think if it carries on i will be tempted to ask these people to go into detail about their reasonings for neutering their dogs so young!

rant over!
SLB
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-01-2011, 02:13 PM
I get this about Louie, "How old is he?" 8 months "Isn't he done then?" not yet no - "well they should be done at 8 weeks" yeaah whatever! Although after he turns 1 we are going to think about it. I don't want him wandering off after a bitch in heat around where we are going to be living. Plus he is a mutt, I don't want him for breeding or showing so he doesn't really need them - plus and it may be his teen stage, but he's getting difficult now but hopefully he'll calm down soon and if he does he won't be having them took off. I'm in two minds I guess - I do want him done for his safety but then I'm in your mind frame - if it ain't broke don't fix it...
Julie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-01-2011, 02:16 PM
I'm afraid I would be one of those asking the questions - better to ask and perhaps prevent someone having unwanted puppies than keep quiet I think. Sorry if that offends.
lozzibear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-01-2011, 02:17 PM
I think it is wrong people behave like that (nothing wrong with asking IMO but they shouldnt persist), and it is a decision people need to make themselves. I do feel your post is criticising those who do neuter, especially at a younger age. Maybe i am reading it wrong coz you are frustated and angry...
TomtheLurcher
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-01-2011, 02:20 PM
Completely understand where you guys are coming from Tom was not done when I got him from the rescue , it was a condition of the rescue to get him done, I conformed and the deed was done but to be honest it has made no difference to his behaviour and given the choice he would still be intact as thats how we was born and I wouldnt have changed it , I would have been conscious about behaviour around in season bitches and dealt with that but stick to your guns guys , do it if required but only for the right reasons and for the best interests if the dog
mad4jacks
Dogsey Junior
Female 

13-01-2011, 02:29 PM
every dog is different. you know your dog so you will know when its time (if ever) to get him done!
Collie Convert
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-01-2011, 02:33 PM
Originally Posted by Julie View Post
I'm afraid I would be one of those asking the questions - better to ask and perhaps prevent someone having unwanted puppies than keep quiet I think. Sorry if that offends.
Originally Posted by lozzibear View Post
I think it is wrong people behave like that (nothing wrong with asking IMO but they shouldnt persist), and it is a decision people need to make themselves. I do feel your post is criticising those who do neuter, especially at a younger age. Maybe i am reading it wrong coz you are frustated and angry...
I dont mind being asked- it just annoys me when people keep asking and questioning my decision.

Im not criticising those who get their dogs neutered at a younger age- its their decision and they obviously have their reasons. What I dont do, is insist upon knowing those reasons, and i dont go into the health affects it can have- as people tend to about a male being entire...when in fact their are really not many benefits health wise to neutering a male.
Tupacs2legs
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-01-2011, 02:36 PM
...that makes me laugh..cos u know as well as i layla...the minute your name gets known well in agility or he gets placed lots..it will be the opposite question asked
mad4jacks
Dogsey Junior
Female 

13-01-2011, 02:38 PM
i havent had my boys done and they are a fab pair.
they behave, Russell is abit ott but thats just him.
they are both good around any dog or bitch.
so it can work!!
Collie Convert
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-01-2011, 02:41 PM
Originally Posted by Tupacs2legs View Post
...that makes me laugh..cos u know as well as i layla...the minute your name gets known well in agility or he gets placed lots..it will be the opposite question asked
Haha, yes i know!

It is actually mainly people that have rescues that are questioning my decision.
Page 1 of 11 1 2 3 4 > Last »