Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
JoedeeUK
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-09-2009, 10:51 AM
Originally Posted by Promethean View Post
Since we already have evidence that this isn't so, the "likelihood" of you being right is approaching zero.

This suggests a self willed evolution and we know nature doesn't work this way. Evolution and nature does not 'care' about needs and for reasons far too technical to go into the dog cannot go "backward" any more than human populations could become Homo habilis.
Where did you dig up that gem of wisdom ? So dogs don't form hunting packs when there is no human/human food supply ???

So why do abandoned dogs hunt sheep etc & how can dogs survive when there is no human rubbish to feed from ? As in dogs lost in remote areas were there is no ready human food available that are subsequently found fit & well months later-especially in the more remote areas outside of the UK-this includes dogs found on uninhabited(as in no humans) islands-why didn't they simply starve to death ? They must have lived off something that they had to kill ! I know my Cavaliers can kill as they often go mousing with the cats & beat the cats to the kill !
ClaireandDaisy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-09-2009, 10:53 AM
I`m not going to join the discussion about hypothetical pack behaviour because I thought the original thread was about aggression in individual dogs - am I wrong?
Aggression is a response. So is fear, submission, freezing, pleasure etc., etc.
Remember the old saw - cet animal est mechant. Quand on l`attaque, il se defend. (this animal is vicious - it defends itself when attacked).
TangoCharlie
Dogsey Senior
Male 

14-09-2009, 11:09 AM
Originally Posted by ClaireandDaisy View Post
I`m not going to join the discussion about hypothetical pack behaviour because I thought the original thread was about aggression in individual dogs - am I wrong?
Aggression is a response. So is fear, submission, freezing, pleasure etc., etc.
Remember the old saw - cet animal est mechant. Quand on l`attaque, il se defend. (this animal is vicious - it defends itself when attacked).
Oh yes, back to aggression!!

Here is a biggy! I've heard it said by top behaviourists that ALL AGGRESSION IS FEAR BASED!!

A sweeping statement but they remain adament!
Promethean
Dogsey Junior
Male 

14-09-2009, 11:10 AM
Originally Posted by JoedeeUK View Post
Where did you dig up that gem of wisdom ? So dogs don't form hunting packs when there is no human/human food supply ???

Try reading research journals.

You seem to getting your "info" from comic books, rumours and tv.

Your questions are repetitive and annoying since they have been addressed. Why don't you get on Google.Scholar and look up this stuff?
Hali
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-09-2009, 11:14 AM
Originally Posted by TangoCharlie View Post

Here is a biggy! I've heard it said by top behaviourists that ALL AGGRESSION IS FEAR BASED!!

Apologies for going OT - perhaps we should ask the mods to split the thread.
Krusewalker
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

14-09-2009, 11:22 AM

i think it answered that one earlier.

evne human psychologist will state all aggression is based on some sort of fear

ie, we might run out of oil, lets invade next door

but that's not the same as the label 'fear aggression', which is very specific, and like the label separation anxiety, not very common and just an over-subscribed currently trendly buzz word to explain away all sorts of things that just come down to circumstances, situations, and management
fluffymummy
Dogsey Senior
Female 

14-09-2009, 11:34 AM
An interesting discussion!

When I was visiting this city in eastern europe there were large groups of dogs hanging around. What I could gather that most of them were abandoned or escaped so they formed a group that scavenged together. At the time I could not see an organised "pack" behaviour or aggression towards people, as after all, the dogs depended on people's rubbish and leftovers to survive. But some were wary of people and rightly so - these dogs were considered as nuisance and targeted themselves. I've heard stories of them attacking people and kids, but I'm more inclined to believe that they were defending themselves. When I came across them, some of them would come up and sniff me and some stayed away or just followed me hoping for handouts.
But it was interesting to see that 15-20 dogs (different sizes, breeds) would roam the streets together both day and night.
Promethean
Dogsey Junior
Male 

14-09-2009, 11:36 AM
I tend to agree and fear accounts for nearly all cases where aggression is seen. As I stated earlier, animals will do aggressive display and when that information is ignored by dog or person we get aggression.
ClaireandDaisy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-09-2009, 11:52 AM

Which `top` behaviourists would these be? When did they say it and what is the thinking behind it? When do they remain adamant? How have they been challenged?
You seem to be quite good at sweeping statements yourself.
TangoCharlie
Dogsey Senior
Male 

14-09-2009, 01:04 PM
Originally Posted by ClaireandDaisy View Post
Which `top` behaviourists would these be? When did they say it and what is the thinking behind it? When do they remain adamant? How have they been challenged?
You seem to be quite good at sweeping statements yourself.
I'm not naming them but they haven't just done an on-line course. They have degrees in behaviour. They said it at the weekend. I challenged them and they remained amament by telling me to read up on it.

Quite as irrelavent as your post wasn't it?!
Page 6 of 6 « First < 3 4 5 6