register for free
View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
View Poll Results: What are you views? (PLEASE READ IN-DEPTH, EXPLANATIONS BEFORE VOTING!!)
1) NO - keep them the same! 21 35.59%
2) Just get rid of the top ten box! 14 23.73%
3) Get rid of the top10 box AND the green Squares (but leave details in User CP) 13 22.03%
4) Keep same - but give points to those who have been here longer to make up for lost time. 2 3.39%
5) Get rid of it them together 9 15.25%
Voters: 59. You may not vote on this poll - please see pinned thread in this section for details.

Closed Thread
Page 5 of 14 « First < 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 > Last »
Meg
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

08-07-2005, 12:37 PM
Originally Posted by mo
I dont actually see any harm in the points whatsoever, so long as people do take it all light hearted, and that really some of the points are not actually "reputation" points for good advice, they are points for possibly making someone smile, which is OK too.
Mo
Perhaps reputation is the wrong word..
I think the reason I do not like the points system is this ..politeness, tolerance and being helpful should apply on websites as everywhere else and this behavior should be the norm ...one should not require a rewards for what is just normal good manners.

Azz Can I just say how nice it is to be asked...most Admin on other sites would not bother asking .
Hayley SBT
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-07-2005, 12:38 PM
lets face it if you cant take your not number one on the top ten list, or you only have 1 rep box, then all i can say how childish is that!
Emm
Dogsey Veteran

08-07-2005, 12:40 PM
I agree completley with your post Mini
eRaze
Administrator
Male 

08-07-2005, 12:45 PM
What if we rename it to 'Karma' ?

So you can add to somones Karma? Would that be more reflective to what they are actually being used for?
Natasha
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-07-2005, 12:49 PM
Originally Posted by Minihaha
Perhaps reputation is the wrong word..
I think the reason I do not like the points system is this ..politeness, tolerance and being helpful should apply on websites as everywhere else and this behavior should be the norm ...one should not require a rewards for what is just normal good manners.

Azz Can I just say how nice it is to be asked...most Admin on other sites would not bother asking .
I agree with minis post, and most of the factors for giving rep points eg politeness advice etc are already done on this board and i think most people on here are polite and helpful because they want to be not because they want to gain points!and thats what special about dw!everyone is so friendly and helpful it seperates this board from others!
And it is great that we are asked our opinion like mini says!
Emm
Dogsey Veteran

08-07-2005, 12:52 PM
I don't think it matters if you do re-name it it will still be seen as the same

I think it is nice to be helpful and polite and make people smile without having a badge to acknowledge that you have done that - jmo
zero
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-07-2005, 12:55 PM
I think 'Karma' would be fine

Mini I agree with you, people should be all these things regardless and I think everyone was before the points came in and haven't changed to much since...We all will be friendly here with or without the points I think...I don't reakon there will be anarchy if they were removed lol...I don't think the points have that much power over what someone wants to say, if they are going to be rude they will be rude...

but maybe there is no harm in adding a little recognition for people being friendly and helpfull...No harm in a bit of praise??...People like praise from time to time, not that they need it but it helps to make the world a better place...

People can obviously give appreciation in their replies in a post but it does strenghen that gesture by being able to add a little something I think

...But yes I think 'karma' is not a bad idea
eRaze
Administrator
Male 

08-07-2005, 12:57 PM
Originally Posted by eRaze
What if we rename it to 'Karma' ?

So you can add to somones Karma? Would that be more reflective to what they are actually being used for?
or how about 'Pet points'! ?

renaming it will alter the way it is percieved - I agree that the word 'reputation' is probably not the most suitible..
mo
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-07-2005, 12:58 PM
Or MMHP for Made Me Happy Points

mo
zero
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-07-2005, 01:00 PM
Originally Posted by Emm
I don't think it matters if you do re-name it it will still be seen as the same

I think it is nice to be helpful and polite and make people smile without having a badge to acknowledge that you have done that - jmo
Emm I agree, but I don't see it as a badge of honour I see it like this, if you want to show your appreciation in the real world to someone you can buy them a gift, pat them on the back, buy them a drink or whatever...Well we can't do that here over the internet so maybe the points are just a pat on the back rather then a badge of honour??
Closed Thread
Page 5 of 14 « First < 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 > Last »