register for free
View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
View Poll Results: What are you views? (PLEASE READ IN-DEPTH, EXPLANATIONS BEFORE VOTING!!)
1) NO - keep them the same! 21 35.59%
2) Just get rid of the top ten box! 14 23.73%
3) Get rid of the top10 box AND the green Squares (but leave details in User CP) 13 22.03%
4) Keep same - but give points to those who have been here longer to make up for lost time. 2 3.39%
5) Get rid of it them together 9 15.25%
Voters: 59. You may not vote on this poll - please see pinned thread in this section for details.

Closed Thread
Page 3 of 14 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 13 > Last »
Roxy
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

08-07-2005, 07:52 AM
I voted for no. 2 , I think the 10 ten post thing should be abolished.
Meg
Supervisor

08-07-2005, 08:04 AM
Originally Posted by Emm
I voted for no.3 - take away the top ten and the green squares but keep details in the CP
I just feel that you help people because you want to and not because you want to get some public recognition for it although it is nice to know when people appreciate what you say so for me I would be happier if it were kept more private
I feel exactly the same as Em and I voted 3 (not now last night)
I really don't like points at all for a number of reasons...
but I can see others do so rather than get rid of them I would vote for a compromise...
ii they are ever revealed maybe do so just at Christmas or New year for one day

EDITED TO SAY If points are kept I would like to see mods/prefects removed from the list, I think people realise we have proved ourselves to be Mods/prefects anyway.. and it would 'free up' the list a bit
Carole
Supervisor

08-07-2005, 09:09 AM
I voted 3 The top 10 causes too much competition
Hayley SBT
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-07-2005, 09:14 AM
but rep points should just be a feel good and fun thing! I cant really see what the problems is

but when graemes say about people with high rep points, i agree it dont mean they know a lot!
Ashlady
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-07-2005, 09:20 AM
Originally Posted by Graeme
Ditch them. They don't in my opinion accurately reflect reputation.
  • If someone doesn't post much, but the posts they do make are very helpful then their reputation doesn't reflect their knowledge
  • If someone posts enough meaningless posts then they are bound to pick up more points than would do normally
  • If a group forms they can increase each others reputation by giving points to each other every day
  • If you think a post is helpful why not just say that in the thread? Give the person a boost publically. You can also still PM them. In either case a discussion may follow that is important.
  • Why do we need them? We know who's good and who's not. New members would be unlikely to realise the reputation system exists.
  • Just because someone has a high reputation it doesn't mean the know what they are talking about
  • It discourages people who have a low reputation from taking part
  • If someone makes what they think is a good post and they get no points it discourages them from continuing to take part.
IMO there are just too many flaws

Graeme
Totally agree Graeme, but voted 3 by way of a compromise for those who enjoy receiving/ giving them
Kimbles
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-07-2005, 09:30 AM
i quite like the post scheme!!

like some of the others said its just a bit of fun,, i personally post to help people out if i get a point then hey bonus its not a big deal,, just harmless fun

and quite a few of us seem to like the points scheme

so plz azz keep it

kimberley x x x
zero
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-07-2005, 09:42 AM
well in the case of rep points should we also ditch the 'ranks' we are given when we reach a total amount of posts??...

and should we stop congratulating people for reaching said amount of points??...that could encourage people making pointless posts to get to a higher rank aswell couldn't it...

I know that posts made in games and jokes etc don't count to your status but people can still make meaningless posts elsewhere if they want and rack there total right up...

I mean if we are that concerned maybe we all should have a completly blank canvas and no differences at all...

Personally I think the rep points should stay as they are because I don't look at the top 10 with envy and think 'right I must do all I can to knock so and so off' I think if anyone does that they are stupid...

Rep points are a nice extra way of showing someone what they said or did made a difference...and they are fun...

They shouldn't just be handed out just because you are in a 'group' or anything like that or whatever and they definitly should not be begged for but when someone feels as if they want to hand one out to you because they enjoyed what you posted or you helped them out or simply made them smile there is nothing wrong with that.

God I think I can handle the top 10! and I can handle not having as many points as others, I'm a grown adult! but I like getting the ones I do get...

Like Jeanette said there will always be people who make a competition out of anything...in this forums case it could be to make more posts than other people, to reach a certain rank before someone else, to have people think they are more helpfull or entertaining than other members, to post more pictures than other people to receive more kind comments than someone else got when they posted a picture, to make a post that receives the highest amount of replies ever!...

The list is endless...Just because the rep points are visable it doesn't mean competition doesn't exist elsewhere and it doesn't mean it wont exist without them...

You can moderate a board so much and do all you can to make it a friendly and helpfull place to be, but then there is just going over board and being a net nanny We all should be able to handle these rep points, appreciate them when you get them and don't focus on them when you don't

Carole
Supervisor

08-07-2005, 09:47 AM
and should we stop congratulating people for reaching said amount of points??...that could encourage people making pointless posts to get to a higher rank aswell couldn't it...

I know that posts made in games and jokes etc don't count to your status but people can still make meaningless posts elsewhere if they want and rack there total right up...
some good points Myschievous I also think that as most of the meaningless posts are in off topic then they should not count. That might stop some of the posts.
Lucky Star
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-07-2005, 09:55 AM
Good points again Mysterious
Oops I mean Misgives
Or is that Maestros?

It could get really complicated and have different types of points for different types of contribution.

Red points for health advice
Green points for behaviour advice
Gold points for making someone laugh ....
zero
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-07-2005, 10:07 AM
Originally Posted by Lucky Star
Good points again Mysterious
Oops I mean Misgives
Or is that Maestros?

It could get really complicated and have different types of points for different types of contribution.

Red points for health advice
Green points for behaviour advice
Gold points for making someone laugh ....
...lol...don't start!...

You did crack me up with that last night

...yes why don't you go ahead and add your two pence worth to try and make things EVEN more complicated...lol...although I do kinda like the idea

P.S: Misfit might be a better one if you really do need to c**k my name up...lol
Closed Thread
Page 3 of 14 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 13 > Last »