View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
jols
Dogsey Junior
Female 

18-12-2010, 10:09 AM
I am truly sorry for Snorris predicament.

But if you live somewhere where the snow always comes you have to make provisions.

I live somewhere where we hardly ever get snow but two days ago it was forcast and it came so the day before I got some vital supplies in.

School was open I went work.

Maybe next year people will prepare themselves more although didnt this happen last year as well??
Fernsmum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-12-2010, 10:11 AM
Originally Posted by jols View Post
We all chose where we live.

I chose to live somewhere close to schools, shops and work..............thats all I am saying.
Sometimes we chose to live somewhere when we are able bodied then our circumstances change .
It's not that easy for a lot of people to then live somewhere else .
Losos
Fondly Remembered
Male 

18-12-2010, 10:12 AM
We all chose where we live.

I chose to live somewhere close to schools, shops and work..............thats all I am saying.
And I hope that your 'work' will enable you to continue living where you are, but even at your age I would suggest that you think about a plan B and plan C 'cos nothing in life is ever fixed in concrete and things can and do change in our lives, often suddenly and without our consent
Fernsmum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-12-2010, 10:16 AM

But if you live somewhere where the snow always comes you have to make provisions.

I live somewhere where we hardly ever get snow but two days ago it was forcast and it came so the day before I got some vital supplies in.

Maybe next year people will prepare themselves more although didnt this happen last year as well??
It's very difficult for people living in small flats without a big fridge , freezer etc to stock up
jols
Dogsey Junior
Female 

18-12-2010, 10:18 AM
If you live somewhere where this happens every year buy a big fridge or freezer.
Benzmum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-12-2010, 10:23 AM

Re above thats where you are very fortunate you are able to act on advice and warnings - if Snorri needs supplies he has to plan exactly how and when to get them he can't simply pop out to get his supplies. So all the warnings and the forecasts in the world only serve to provide him with information but often he can not act on the information.

As for myself and preparing myself for next year....I do all I can to prepare when I here of bad weather and I am sure many others do to, however I can only do so much I can not clear the motorways I can not grit the streets, I did dig the snow up off the pavement outside the house and I did with the help of neighbours dig a channel through the road so cars could be shoved out onto the road that is a bus route and was therefore eventually treated. I can only do so much as an individual the council and roads maintenance teams need to be more prepared - yes that is true but apart from my election vote I can have no influence over there policy nor preparation.

Yes I (amnd many others)have food stocked (both for me and the dog and cat) yes I have suitable clothing and footwear yes I listen to forecasts and advice from police etc and yes if I have to I walk to my work to clear more snow and ice there (as I have been doing since 26th November) around schools hospitals and road junctions and bus stops and yes I have walked home again.

The amount of snow seen here has been the worst in 30 years that was not predicted yes we were warned of snow and yes people prepared but sometimes preparation can be fruitless as you may prepare for the worst but then the worst is far worse than you imagined.
Fernsmum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-12-2010, 10:23 AM
If you live somewhere where this happens every year buy a big fridge or freezer.
And put it where , in your bedroom ?
Emma
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-12-2010, 10:27 AM
Originally Posted by Fernsmum View Post
why not
jols
Dogsey Junior
Female 

18-12-2010, 10:27 AM
lol.....rather than starve ............yes!
angied
Dogsey Senior
Female 

18-12-2010, 10:28 AM
yes if need be!!
dont you have neighbours snorri?? sorry but if i had a neighbour that couldnbt get out and snow was forcast id have made sure they would have had everything they needed even if i had to store it in my freezer. my sil livesin the orkneys on a farm and she helps her neighbours ans do they all her local shop is also the local pub!!!
we dont usually get snow but have done in the last year or so here so when its forcast i have plenty in and if my neighbour runs out then they get what i have (as long as my kids have got something as well).
Page 4 of 18 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 14 > Last »