View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Meg
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

24-11-2006, 05:40 PM
If someone really needs to breed their bitch to produce a working Lurcher presumably they have to find a stud dog and while in the process of finding one they talk to other owners. I see no reason why people can't get together and breed just the occasional litter with all the puppies spoken for as happens with all good breeders .

Whether it is culling puppies or putting down unwanted dogs in rescues it is wrong. The only culling should be putting down very sick animals.

This is one reason why I am against the so called new 'designer breeds' .
Many years ago when most of our old breeds were in their infancy culling was an accepted practice and puppies that were 'not to type' were culled until a standard was establish . If one wished to establish a new breed nowadays any puppies born 'not true to type ' would have to be sold of cheaply or passed on to rescues swelling the numbers of unwanted dogs even more.

There will always be a need for good puppies from good breeders, these are not the ones that end up in rescue because good breeders are always eager to take back their own dogs to prevent them ending up in the wrong hands.

This said I can understand the predicament of some rescues, while people continue to want an 'instant puppy' and are prepared to get one from just anywhere there will always be a market for bad breeders to supply inferior puppies destined for rescues. When the rescues are filled to capacity I guess there is no alternative and sad decisions have to be made.
Hewey
Dogsey Senior
Female 

24-11-2006, 05:53 PM
Originally Posted by Azz View Post
If you are referring to 'die for food' then I can't see your point, as we need food to eat to live
I don't think we need to drink milk or use other dairy products, there are many substitutes and this is why I chose the calf analogy. We choose to drink milk, well I do , knowing that those calves will have incredibly short lives but wishing that that will be dealt with humanely, although sadly for those that go to the continent I fear it is not and I would like to see that ended or perhaps the rest of Europe rearing veal in the same way as the UK (Sorry, I think that is a little of topic ).
All we know about this person is they needed a working dog and all that I believe, due to my own use of dairy calves, I can reasonably wish for is his actions were done humanely which they appear to have been.
Patch
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-11-2006, 05:53 PM
Originally Posted by Borderdawn View Post
Milk is milk it comes from Cows who are repeatedly put in calf and that calf taken away as soon as it is born and is either raised for more milk production or shot or exported for veal.
Soya milk does`nt come from cows and as has been pointewd out many times, is nothing to do with breeding a litter knowing full well there would likely be `surplus`.
If the breeder was determined to have a pup from his bitch, he should have been responsible and patient enough to have a waiting list *first* with at least twice as many people on that list as the number of puppies likely to have been born. Thats what decent and ethical breeders do.
Azz
Administrator
Male 

24-11-2006, 06:12 PM
Originally Posted by Hewey View Post
I don't think we need to drink milk or use other dairy products, there are many substitutes and this is why I chose the calf analogy. We choose to drink milk, well I do , knowing that those calves will have incredibly short lives but wishing that that will be dealt with humanely, although sadly for those that go to the continent I fear it is not and I would like to see that ended or perhaps the rest of Europe rearing veal in the same way as the UK (Sorry, I think that is a little of topic ).
All we know about this person is they needed a working dog and all that I believe, due to my own use of dairy calves, I can reasonably wish for is his actions were done humanely which they appear to have been.
I don't drink milk or if I do it's Rice milk (although I did try lactolite for a short while).

I don't really eat dairy foods either as I (like many others) cannot tolerate lactose. But that's beside the point as like I mentioned, I think it's safe to say that if we had a thread about those culling practises, most of us would be against them too.
Moobli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-11-2006, 06:38 PM
Well ... what a heated discussion!!

Here are my thoughts:-

I cannot condone culling puppies after deliberately breeding them. It just doesn't make sense to me. Having said that, I can understand the breeder in question wanting to know his pups have gone to lifelong, loving homes. However, in my opinion, he should have been prepared to find these homes for however many puppies his bitch had. Otherwise, just don't breed.

As far as Joedee's post is concerned, I can understand rescues culling pups in the situations she describes.

I have conflicting views on culling and am finding it hard to put into words, but basically don't breed if you cannot find homes for all pups ... that is just irresponsible imo.
Hewey
Dogsey Senior
Female 

24-11-2006, 06:49 PM
Originally Posted by Azz View Post
I don't drink milk or if I do it's Rice milk (although I did try lactolite for a short while).

I don't really eat dairy foods either as I (like many others) cannot tolerate lactose.
Then I completely respect your view, although it would, of course, be even more impressive if an intolerance wasn't involved
lorraine
Dogsey Junior
Female 

19-01-2007, 12:02 PM
Sorry have to say this but what B*****DS! How can they do that to poor helpless little puppies. To and animal for that matter. It makes me so mad.
dollyknockers
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-02-2007, 01:03 PM
oh my god .i advise anyone when seeking to buy a puppy to thouroughly check the breeder out and if the said breeder does not agree to this then stay well clear .
Page 16 of 16 « First < 6 13 14 15 16