Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
sarah1983
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-12-2011, 01:42 PM

Kidney failure

Ruperts kidneys are failing. At the moment they're giving him IV fluids today and tomorrow but whether or not he's going to pull through we don't know. I'm in shock at the moment, I had no idea he was this ill, he's slowed down lately but we put that down to age. Can he have some good thoughts please? He's home at the moment, we have to go back this afternoon and then again tomorrow for him to be put on the drip.

Any info anyone has about kidney failure would also be appreciated. I know nothing about it and we have a bit of a language barrier at the vets.
Fivedogpam
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-12-2011, 01:44 PM
No experience but really sorry to hear this. Thinking of you and Rupert.
rune
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-12-2011, 01:51 PM
So sorry for you both---I am really sorry but I think that kidney failure is not good. Try on line for info.

I was told when my cats had it that they were not in any pain.

Lots of thoughts to you all.

rune
Moon's Mum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-12-2011, 01:55 PM
Oh no, I am so so desperately sorry to hear this this is what my darling Moon had. If you look at my old threads then you'll see what we went through. We thought he has a tummy bug as he was throwing up, but he'd gone uremic. They hide it so well

Do you know if it is acute or chronic? Acute is sudden and often reversible, usually bought on by an infection or eating something like chocolate or raisins. Given his age it's more likely to be chronic I imagine, meaning his kidney function has been decreasing over a long length of time and only showing signals now. This depends on how far it has gone. If his kidney function is partly decreased then the drip wil flush his blood (what his kidneys aren't doing) and then it might be able to be managed with diet and medication. He may need to go on a drip again if his bloods go up again.

Moon wouldn't eat and was throwing up. Apparently it's important to ensure that they do eat and in the end we fed him anything (including KFC popcorn chicken) so he had something in his stomach. He needs low phosphate foods (I think white rice, green tripe and egg were good of I remember rightly, wholegrains are bad so no brown pasta or rice) and the vet should be given phosphate binding powder on meals. Hills do a K/D kidney diet, Moon wouldn't eat the kibble but would eat the tinned food.

Sadly I don't have any experience of dealing with this long term but Velvetboxer's girl Katie is living with it so I'm sure she'll give you advice.

My prayers are with you and I really hope the drip helps Rupert feel better.
youngstevie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-12-2011, 01:56 PM
So sorry to hear your news xx

Rune is right its not the best of news, but it can sometimes be helped via diet control, although the Kidneys do not repair unfortunately but in some cases managed right it can give them more time.
My late JRT had an extra 12 months via diet control xxxxxx
Velvetboxers
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-12-2011, 01:56 PM
Katie is in stage 3 renal (kidney) failure. If they can get him stabilised, there is a good chance with a renal diet & phosphorous binders, he will be able to cope as Katie is doing - for the present

My thoughts are with you. xx

PS tripe is a no/no as it's too high in protein.

I do mix Butchers tinned tripe in to her renal food - only little of it, to encourage her to eat it. Renal diets are very low protein & low phosphorous.
Moon's Mum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-12-2011, 01:58 PM
Originally Posted by rune View Post
So sorry for you both---I am really sorry but I think that kidney failure is not good. Try on line for info.

I was told when my cats had it that they were not in any pain.

Lots of thoughts to you all.

rune
My Moon was definately in pain when he went uremic you could hear his stomach bubbling and he just sat all hunched up. It definately depends how far it has gone but the end stage is unpleasant. Sorry, this probably isn't what you want to hear. I hope theyve caught Rupert early enough
Laura-Anne
Dogsey Senior
Female 

23-12-2011, 01:59 PM
Had no experience of it with dogs but I've had acute renal failure aNd my gran has chronic renal failure. What age is your dog?

Sending lots and lots of healing thoughts

X
Jugsmalone
Almost a Veteran
Female 

23-12-2011, 02:17 PM
I'm really sorry to read this Sarah. We all have our fingers and paws crossed here that ruperts going to be okay.
GirondeDeb
Dogsey Senior
Male 

23-12-2011, 02:22 PM
Sorry to read this. I can't help on the renal failure, but I get my vet to write down the vital terms whenever there's anything serious, so I can come home and check with the dictionary that I have understood properly. (She's Spanish and we speak in French, so there's a double language barrier)

Fingers crossed for some good news.
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >