Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Hoggett
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

09-07-2005, 08:55 AM

I think i may have an eating disorder

Hi all,

I have a bit of a problem, at least I know I have it so maybe I'm on the way to recovery.

I just never get hungry, and ever since I came out of hospital last year my appetite has been zero, however the last month or too it has got worse.

I feel as though I want to eat - when I plan meals and prepare them I have a normal meal in mind i.e. sausage beans and mashed potatoes (one of my favourites) I can make it and feel as though I could eat it, sit down to eat and I might eat a few forkfulls and that's it, I feel as though I'm having to force it down. This happens at every meal.

Now I am getting soo bad that if I have a ryvita with something on it, it takes me about half an hour to eat it and I feel as though I have had a three course meal.

Now I think I might be taking after my mum - she couldn't eat much due to a duedenal ulcer, she could only eat half a fish, half and apple etc.

What's your thoughts on this. Be as honest as you wish. If you think I need to give my self a shake etc tell me.

Thanks

Ian (it's getting a bit out of hand)
bluemerle lover
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-07-2005, 08:59 AM
aww ian i am sorry that you think you have an eating disorder you must eat to keep your strength up why not try smaller meals like jacket spud,have a little salad,beans and toast even if its just a small amount you are still getting something to eat
pollaton
Dogsey Junior
Female 

09-07-2005, 09:07 AM
it doesn't sound so much like a disorder, more like a physical problem. you sound like you enjoy food, but can't physically fit it in your body. i think a trip to the docs is needed to see if they can figure out what is wrong.

if it was a disorder, you would either be binging on food or completely repulsed by the sight, smell of it.

i really think you need to speak to your doctor though. if its physicl then there is probably something that can help you get over it.

and no i certainly don't think you just need to give yourself a shake.
Het
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-07-2005, 09:12 AM
sounds like you are getting to the stage where you are feeling under pressure to eat, maybe you could try not planning meals too much, maybe not eat at mealtimes as such, ie spontaneously through the day, also eat in different places like the garden , try and break the cycle of not enjoying your food or of it being a routine, especially now that you seem to be getting stressed about it. You could try different foods as well, things that you have never tried, new recipes.
If this carries on though you should see your doc, it will be easier dealt with the sooner you address it, as you have said ian the biggest step is realising you have a problem, well done you.
I'll make you some big Hot Pots and post them to you
Hannah
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-07-2005, 09:36 AM
Im sorry to hear about your problems Ian. It sounds like you should seek some medical help, I know my little brother took along time to get back to normal after being ill but it should be gradually getting better not worse!
In my opinion it sounds like you could be stuck in a circle with it. You've not had much of an appitite from being ill so your not eating much but when it comes to eating your worrying your not eating much and forcing yourself to eat making it an issue causing you to not have much of an appitite.
I had a similar problem with sleeping i wasnt sleeping and was tired all the time but when it came to going to bed i was worried bout not sleeping and that kept me awake was a hard cycle to break.
I hope I have made a little sense hope you get this sorted soon
Hoggett
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

09-07-2005, 09:37 AM
Thanks everybody,
What I am doing now is pick eating if you know what I mean because I know I have to eat something to keep going. When I see adverts for food, meals etc I still would like to eat it, but as some of you say it's the getting it inside of me the problem occurs.

The funny thing is that I can drink anything so I am going to get some meal replacement drinks until I can see the doctor.

Het - I could devour a hotpot - mentally anyway.

Ian
Archaeopath
Almost a Veteran
Female 

09-07-2005, 09:39 AM
My two-penneth would be very similar to Het's. Whether it's psychological or physical, your doctor will be able to help further - and I really think you should consult them. But in the meantime, it sounds to me like you've subconsciously created a block to eating. A similar thing can happen with insomniacs - you know you should do something, that you must eat or sleep, and so you place greater stress on yourself - and that in itself can make matters far worse (you end up going round in circles).

As Het says, try changing your routine, break the cycle. You can also try a little reverse psychology with yourself - tell yourself you've chosen not to eat for a day, to relieve the stress you've placed on yourself. When you do eat, only eat small meals, but tell yourself you won't have more than a small amount, not that you can't. Whatever you choose to do, try not to place pressures on yourself - if you miss a meal, it doesn't matter, eat a bit later instead.

Hope some of this helps - do mention it to your doctor though so all avenues can be explored.

Becs
Het
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-07-2005, 09:40 AM
Originally Posted by Hoggett
Thanks everybody,
What I am doing now is pick eating if you know what I mean because I know I have to eat something to keep going. When I see adverts for food, meals etc I still would like to eat it, but as some of you say it's the getting it inside of me the problem occurs.

The funny thing is that I can drink anything so I am going to get some meal replacement drinks until I can see the doctor.

Het - I could devour a hotpot - mentally anyway.

Ian
No bother Ian, I'll make you one now, mentally

try not too worry too much about it, you need to make eating fun again
Hoggett
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

09-07-2005, 09:43 AM
Hi Becs,

Thanks for your advice, I have read and thought about what you have said and I have just realised I am not exactly stressed about it but I am wound up. I will defiantly try reverse physcology - Good idea.

Ian
Hoggett
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

09-07-2005, 09:44 AM
Thanks Het, I will really enjoy it.

Ian

P.S. I have just realised I feel a tad bit hungry, will go and have a few nibbles on something.
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >