View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
ginnylondon
New Member!
Female 

23-02-2010, 07:46 AM
Thanks everyone for your replies, they have been very useful! I'm glad to see I'm not the only one with this little 'psycho mode' problem!

Originally Posted by wilbar View Post
For ginnylondon ~ I suspect that your puppy is thoroughly enjoying the "Chase me chase me" game as you try to put him in his crate. If you continue to chase him, you may find that this behaviour escalates ~ & what if he uses the "chase me" tactics when you try to put him back on the lead after a walk?! I can always remember a dog trainer telling me that it only takes one "chase me" game for a dog to learn how much slower on 2 legs we are than they are on 4 legs!
Wilbar I think you're completely right, he is baiting me so I'll chase him. It is really hard ignoring him when he is barking and biting at me but I'm trying to just turn my back and not look at him. I did it this morning and at first he just got louder and angrier, then he finally calmed himself down and went off to find something else to do! Phew!

Thanks again everyone, I'll let you know how it's coming along.
wilbar
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-02-2010, 02:52 PM
Originally Posted by ginnylondon View Post
Thanks everyone for your replies, they have been very useful! I'm glad to see I'm not the only one with this little 'psycho mode' problem!

Wilbar I think you're completely right, he is baiting me so I'll chase him. It is really hard ignoring him when he is barking and biting at me but I'm trying to just turn my back and not look at him. I did it this morning and at first he just got louder and angrier, then he finally calmed himself down and went off to find something else to do! Phew!

Thanks again everyone, I'll let you know how it's coming along.
What you have described is a perfect example of what is called an "extinction burst" in learning theory terms . If a behaviour that has previously been reinforced (i.e. the barking/biting is reinforced by your attention of any kind) is suddenly no longer reinforced because you now ignore it, then your dog will increase his efforts to get your attention. In your case "he just got louder & angrier"!! But once he realises that this tactic is not working, and the behaviours are no longer being reinforced, they should fade away.
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2