View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Helena54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-05-2009, 06:32 PM

Training was a blooming nightmare tonight!

Well, I'm thoroughly pee'd off tonight Zena was a nightmare, soooooo stressed out, hid under the chair most of the night, and we had the chance of doing our heelwork completely on our own (because of the state she was in the trainer thought it best!) Bearing in mind I can walk for 3 or 4 whole minutes with her stuck to my left leg like glue looking up at me, no treats, just the ball in my bum bag, I thought we would be top of the class, but nah, she didn't want to know, she headed for every exit going,she wouldn't go near the trainer at the top end, and wanted to talk to all the dogs sitting at the sides of the room completely ignoring me and this is an absolute unknown for her!

Now, 3 things have happened. Today I broke a big vase on my way through a doorway as Zena had pulled me through it onlead, and of course, she was frightened to go back OUT of there when the time came, but I ignored her, and she followed me out. Last Saturday she got flattened by a staffie in the woods and a gsd, but no damage was done, and there were 2 staffies sitting opposite us tonight, and she barked when one came past doing it's heelwork! Then the other week at training she threw a wobbly when the trainer took hold of her and took her away from me and wouldn't let her back to me coz of her behaviour so she absolutely HATES her now, and tonight wouldn't even take a titbit off her!

We started off fine, she sat for a long while, let me move to her left side, all was well. Then she laid down very quietly at my feet whilst we did all the talking part, so it was 3/4's of the way in that we started to do the heelwork session and it was only by this time that she had completely changed???

I dunno, I told the trainer I can walk down the whole length of Cissbury Hill which I do every morning with her close at heel so WHY??? The other trainer told me I'm not to cuddle her so much coz it will reinforce this nervouseness, BUT, she has only ever been nervous tonight and again it was at training, she's never nervous, out and about or at home, or visiting friends family whoever! I don't know what got into her, and quite honestly I don't know what to do now? Should I leave off going for a week and just practice and practice at home out on our walks, or should I stick with it and see how she is next week, and if she's the same because of that one particular trainer she's got into her head she's frightened of, then I'll have to stop going I suppose

Not happy
talassie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-05-2009, 06:43 PM
Sorry to hear you are having problems. In your post you did say Zena did a lot of the training right but just couldn't manage the heelwork tonight.
I think all dogs have good and bad training club days. I would not stop going because she is worried about the trainer as this might reinforce her worries. Better to keep going and maybe get a bit closer to the trainer each week.
Don't be disheartened. From what you say about Zena she is a wonderful girl.
tawneywolf
Female  Gold Supporter 

26-05-2009, 06:51 PM
That is absolutely right, you will have good days, excellent days and total nightmare days, she is still a baby remember. Because she has been such a little love so far has magnified it when things go wrong. I know it may sound daft, but just don't be so intense when you are practising with her, make more of a game of it so she relaxes and doesn't think there is anything important going on!!! (Says me with the Nortiest Girls in The Whole Wide World ) Maybe forget about practice for a couple of days and just have fun with her.
Nippy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-05-2009, 06:51 PM
That is such a shame, you were both doing so well.

My last dog was ruined by a trainer who yanked her away from me and dragged her off down the hall we were in.
I never returned and contacted the boss of the school to tell her why. She apologised profusely and said it was a total no no to take a dog from it's handler/owner.
Hope things improve for you and Zena.
Helena54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-05-2009, 06:52 PM
Thanks Talassi, that's just what Dave said, coz this happened at puppy class, by the 5th week she got fed up with it all and didn't want to know and it seems to me she's doing the same thing again but at the big club! I know it's the trainer specifically though, coz she did fine for a few steps until we got near the top end where she was standing and then she just laid down and refused to budge! (At least everyone laughed though! Lol!)

You just can't believe it yourself though when things have been going exceptionally well, I know it's only a slight hiccup, but it puts me off, I'm quite a competitive person and yes, I suppose, I am expecting her to do well each time, so when she doesn't it phases me!
Helena54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-05-2009, 06:58 PM
Originally Posted by tawneywolf View Post
That is absolutely right, you will have good days, excellent days and total nightmare days, she is still a baby remember. Because she has been such a little love so far has magnified it when things go wrong. I know it may sound daft, but just don't be so intense when you are practising with her, make more of a game of it so she relaxes and doesn't think there is anything important going on!!! (Says me with the Nortiest Girls in The Whole Wide World ) Maybe forget about practice for a couple of days and just have fun with her.
Thanks June, but quite honestly, I wasn't being intense, in fact the complete opposite because knowing what I know and how good she is at this specific task, I couldn't wait to get her up on the floor, especially as we were on our own, unlike the others who had done it in two's, but even when I called her to get her up, she didn't want to come to me, she was really hiding under that chair tonight! I sat up where the trainer is, I always do that, but next week, I will sit right down the bottom end! I know there are good and bad days, but how come I only get the bad days at training club then? She's never bad at home, except with that hose! Lol!

Originally Posted by Nippy View Post
That is such a shame, you were both doing so well.

My last dog was ruined by a trainer who yanked her away from me and dragged her off down the hall we were in.
I never returned and contacted the boss of the school to tell her why. She apologised profusely and said it was a total no no to take a dog from it's handler/owner.
Hope things improve for you and Zena.
Funnilly enough Jen, this is the very same trainer who 12 years ago frightened the life out of Cassie on her first night at training, and I never went back for a 2nd night either!!! I remember it sooooo well, but I doubt whether she does! I can't have her stressed out like this, she's obviously got a very good memory, but I will persist for another week, and if the same thing happens, then we'll just go somewhere else, or I'll get one on one training, or do it myself at home.
Nippy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-05-2009, 07:07 PM
I think you are right H, you can't give up at the first obstacle.
We might be reading too much into it, maybe Zena has no thoughts either way about this trainer, maybe she is just having a girlie off day.
Helena54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-05-2009, 07:13 PM
No, you're right Jen, I've been spoiled with her progress so far, so she's entitled to have an off-night isn't she!! She's sitting here next to me with that sorrowful look as if to say "what have I done wrong mum", coz I'm not playing with her! I will later though and give her some cuddles coz she really is a good girl 99% of the time she just doesn't like school much and nor did I!!!
Wysiwyg
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-05-2009, 09:05 PM
Reading this Helena, I feel kind of angry on your behalf, because it was clear the very first time you wrote about this very stupid trainer telling Zena off severerly for not wanting to leave you (I mean, she's shepherd anyway, for goodness sake, you can't rush it and the trainer should have known that!) then Zena was not going to be comfortable with her presence.

It makes me mad that trainers make what are such basic mistakes. I really wish she could be told just what she's done. Sounds as if she does it frequently and feels no remorse whereas frankly she should be mortified.

Wys
x
bugzy
Dogsey Senior
Female 

26-05-2009, 09:41 PM
Aww Helena, I wouldnt worry too much, from what i've seen you type about Zena on here, she's wonderfull 99.9% of the time everyones entitled to their offday
2 things spring to mind though... isn't it about time for Zena's first season?? If so she could be feeling a bit hormonal, or Zena's got even more brains than you're giving her credit for... and she's picking up something shes not happy with about that trainer
Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 > Last »