View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
esmed
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-05-2009, 09:58 PM
Is this the same kind of thing as all these diet patches that are on the market these days?? I've always wondered about those??
Vicki
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-05-2009, 06:29 AM
Originally Posted by IsoChick View Post
I agree. My OH was on Orlistat (under Dr's orders). The side effects are pretty disgusting. Forgive my frankness.

If you eat fatty food, you will have bright orange, oily diarrhoea. Occasionally (and this happened a few times) you don't even realise that you need to go to the toilet. It literally leaks from your bottom into your clothes, and it's just bright orange oil. Gross, it stains, and it's pretty embarrassing as well. Once it's in the toilet, the oil often sticks around for a couple of flushes, and can discolour your toilet bowl (if it's white). Apparantly, baby wipes are required to clean yourself up, as normal toilet paper just won't do.

The diarrhoea can sometimes come on pretty quickly (imagine being in a restaurant and having to RUN to the loo because you're leaking orange oil and know that you're going to have explosive diarrhoea) but sometimes can be hours after eating (long car journey anyone??).

The less fat you eat, the less oily stuff and diarrhoea you get. But since you're eating a healthier diet anyway, you lose weight!

He wasn't losing that much weight compared to some on a diet without pills. The first week or so he lost about 4 or 5 pounds, but he quickly realised that the only way to not have the diarrhoea was to eat a low fat diet. He then lost about 1-2 pounds a week, which is consistent with what you should lose on a 'normal' diet, and is a healthy weight loss.

After paying £7+ for a months worth of tablets for a few months running, and not losing more than I was on a 'normal' low fat diet, plus being sick of the side effects, OH stopped the tablets.

He said that sitting in work praying you don't need the toilet was enough for him. He never felt 'safe' if he wasn't near a toilet (e.g. car journeys, trips away etc).

Once he came off the tablets, he carried on eating a low fat diet, and we've both managed to lose about 1.5 stone up to now.
This would be quite enough for me to head for the hills where this drug is concerned.....

I wouldn't touch it with a barge pole, personally.

Sheree, have you tried joining a slimming club? Sometimes, what "we" do on our own is wrong, and we don't even realise it - we are just very disappointed with the results.

Think about it hon........

x0x
Vicki
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-05-2009, 06:39 AM
Originally Posted by IsoChick View Post
Just cos your on a diet doesn't mean you can't eat nice food!!
This is totally correct!

A work colleage (male) was a huge guy. He joined Slimming World a year ago and has now lost six and a half stone! He says it's the easiest eating plan he's ever tried, and he's never hungry.........

MissE
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-05-2009, 07:54 AM
I don't know if its the same drug, but I did hear yesterday the FDA in the US has recalled all hydroxycut diet products after reports of serious liver problems and a death.

I'd be inclined to join the slimming club first.
Good luck with it, hon x
scorpio
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-05-2009, 03:22 PM
Thanks for all your replies...I don't really like the idea of taking the pills but the doc seems to think my body needs a kick start. I was only telling Clive last night that the thought of uncontrollable bowel movements was really putting me off, he did say that it would only happen if I overdone it in the fatty food stakes but how will I know what foods will do it to me without having to endure the side effects?

Both my sisters went to weight watchers and I had a look at their booklets but they don't really cater for vegetarians in them...I did ask the doc if I was eating the wrong things but he thought I was on an ok diet and that its my hormones that are causing the extra fluid and bloating.

I have my chat with the diet nurse and the doc on Wednesday but, the way I feel at the moment, I don't think I'm going to risk the tablets xx
madmare
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-05-2009, 04:11 PM
Slimming World does cater for vegetarians, there are no calories or points to count either you just eat eat eat.
Shona
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-05-2009, 04:24 PM
im on reductil, compleatly diff to orlistat, though I dont think the doctors are keen to prescribe them very often
alexandra
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-05-2009, 07:08 PM
Originally Posted by scorpio View Post
Thanks for all your replies...I don't really like the idea of taking the pills but the doc seems to think my body needs a kick start. I was only telling Clive last night that the thought of uncontrollable bowel movements was really putting me off, he did say that it would only happen if I overdone it in the fatty food stakes but how will I know what foods will do it to me without having to endure the side effects?

Both my sisters went to weight watchers and I had a look at their booklets but they don't really cater for vegetarians in them...I did ask the doc if I was eating the wrong things but he thought I was on an ok diet and that its my hormones that are causing the extra fluid and bloating.

I have my chat with the diet nurse and the doc on Wednesday but, the way I feel at the moment, I don't think I'm going to risk the tablets xx
My father was on them for a few weeks and packed them in - he did lose a stone in those weeks but he literally couldnt leave the house - he went from butter to flora light, semi to skimmed milk - NO red meat (which for my dad is a massive feat!!!) no oil being used and he still had the side effects....

he stopped and said at 60 he wasnt going to bother ! he is still pretty strong and fit etc - just has a belly! lol

With regards to weighwatchers - if you are vegetarian!! boy are you in for a treat!!!

so many veg are no points so you can have loads!! you should do really well on it and be able to eat plenty and never go hungry!!

im starting back on mine tomorrow! 19 weeks till wedding! its got to be done!

Good luck hun! id give slimming classes a go first! the support can REALLY help!
IsoChick
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-05-2009, 07:44 PM
Originally Posted by scorpio View Post
I did ask the doc if I was eating the wrong things but he thought I was on an ok diet and that its my hormones that are causing the extra fluid and bloating.
If it's your hormones that are causing the fluid retention and bloating and your diet is ok, then the tablets probably won't be as effective anyway.

They don't 'work' on the fat already in your body, just the stuff you eat on a day to day basis.
scorpio
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-05-2009, 09:34 AM
Thanks again guys...I didn't realise that vegetarians were so well catered for..my sisters booklets had hardly anything in that I would eat...but maybe they have different ones for veggies?

I shall still see the diet nurse on Wednesday and see what she as to say, it could be that she can give me some advice as to what type of diet will kick start my system again. I will also take a look at the clubs, especially if I can eat as many vegetables as I want to..I love raw carrots and brussels

Oh Shelley, I'm well disappointed the tablets don't dispurse the fat already in my body..although I did think I wouldn't be able to leave the house for some time after taking one
Page 2 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >