Our sister sites
Our sister sites
DenverGirl
New Member!
Female 

21-01-2009, 09:15 PM

Gargling or "glug, glug" sound coming from dog's throat

Hi everyone,
I am trying to make this as short as possible. I have a 6 year-old GSD rescue. On Sunday night, she let out a yelp when I touched somewhere on her neck or head. She slept soundly through the night, but I heard this strange gargle coming from her throat a lot during the night and day. When she yelped out again at touch, I brought her to my vet, who said to give her 1/2 a Rimadyl (I have on hand for my 14 yr-old guy) and some Benadryl, because my GSD also had a bit of a swollen lip. I brought her back later that day when she started getting restless and my vet said to continue above treatment--it might be a pinched nerve or something that would blow over. Yesterday, I decided to take her to a different vet. They did a neck and vertebrae x-ray and blood work. All looked good. They gave me Tramadol (100mg) and a muscle relaxer. It has not worked so far. She woke up in the night whining, looking for me for help. Still the "glug, glug" sound coming from her throat. She eats, she drinks, bowel movement, urination all good. When I took her for a short walk, her tail was wagging and she sniffed and seems pretty alert. But inside the house she follows me around, moaning and giving me the "please help me look." There is more to my dog's history, but I do not want to make it too long. Has anyone experienced this mysterious pain that pain meds can't take care of? And what about this sound? I keep thinking it has something to do with it.
freckles211
Dogsey Junior
Female 

21-01-2009, 11:22 PM
Hi DenverGirl

I dont know if i will be much help? My JRT Freckles had a trapped nerve in her neck. I came home one day to find that she could hardly move, i took her to the vets & they said that it was either a brain tumor or a trapped nerve in the end thank god it was the latter.

The vet put her on steriods which i wasnt very keen on but they worked a treat & she was only on them for about 2 -3 weeks. The steriods worked really quickly which was nice to see.

I am afraid i have never come across the glug glug sound you are describing, but i am sure someone on here will be able to help they have been very good to me.

Hope this helps & good luck

Amanda
DenverGirl
New Member!
Female 

22-01-2009, 12:02 AM
Hi Amanda,
Thank you so much for your reply. I am actually hoping that it's something like that as well. I just started her on steroids today because she is still moaning and hiding in a corner--hasn't yelped again due to my touch, however. How long do you think before I notice that the steroids are working? I am giving her 40 mg twice a day ("the big guns" as the vet called it). What I didn't write before is that I adopted this girl 1 1/2 years ago and when I did she showed signs of wobbler's disease or spinal myelopathy. She had been left in the garage of an abandoned house, so you can imagine, she came with all kinds of psychological issues. I've never had a spinal tap and MRI done, because even if I find out she has the disease there is no cure. But now my vet kind of focuses on this solely, saying that the disease could finally have turned painful. (From one day to the next???) But she jumps (as she did just now when our neighbor's dog barked viciously at her--she was going to jump right over the fence to get to him). So I'm hoping to prove the vet wrong and that she has something that resolves itself. But I keep thinking what if it's something in her stomach or throat (because of the sound) and it's not being focused on.
freckles211
Dogsey Junior
Female 

22-01-2009, 01:26 AM
Hi DenverGirl

I have to say i noticed a difference in about 1-2 days, not long at all. I have never come across wobbler's disease or spinal myelopathy before.

Poor Girl people can be so cruel, it makes me so very angry, as no matter what, there is no excuse for cruelty.

I have just done a search on W/D & Myelopathy . I noticed that GSD's are prone to it.

I must admit i would be a bit concerned about this glugging noise she is making. See how she goes on the steriods, but if you are at all unhappy get back to your vet, dont be fobbed off.

I know how stressed you must be feeling. I sadly lost my boy two weeks ago today, over the 5 days he was ill i was totally stressed out as you constantly worry yourself sick about them & constantly watch them.

Keep positive & let me know how things go.

Amanda
DenverGirl
New Member!
Female 

22-01-2009, 01:34 AM
Hi Amanda,
Thanks for your kind words. I know about the GSD diseases. I had a German Shepherd until I lost her last year at the age of 10. that's when I went out and adopted this little girl, knowing that she may come with some issues down the road. It's not absolutely clear if her wobble comes from the disease, it could also come from a stroke she suffered after, perhaps, having been hit in the head. With the previous owners, this kind of cruelty would not surprise me. I'll try being optimistic--she eats, she drinks, she goes for walks... When my last GSD got sick, she didn't want to do any of these things. this second vet I went to was great--at least he cared enough to take time with us, but he does seem to be terribly hung up on the diseases German Shepherds are predisposed to--and there could be a chance that it is something completely different. Thanks again.
DenverGirl
DenverGirl
New Member!
Female 

27-01-2009, 04:01 AM
Hi Amanda,
I just wanted you to know that my girl is doing much better. I gave her 2--20 mg Prednisone (steroids) twice and by the next day she seemed better. So I reduced the dose by half. She's back to her old self. And that strange sound coming from her tummy or throat is gone. Still don't know what that was all about. I intend to keep her at this current dose for a week and then try to reduce it gradually. Hopefully that will take care of it.
Vicki
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-01-2009, 07:27 AM
So pleased to hear it's sorted
hades
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

27-01-2009, 07:50 AM
Glad shes on the mend!
freckles211
Dogsey Junior
Female 

27-01-2009, 06:35 PM
Hi DenverGirl

Thanks for letting me know.

I'm glad that she is getting better. I remember when Freckles had a trapped nerve she could barely move & you cant help but think that there is something drastically wrong.

I think in total Freckles was on Steroids for 3 weeks.

I'm glad you are seeing an improvement it is so worrying.

Amanda