Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Sal
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-04-2011, 05:03 PM

Leaving a baby in a car

Ok this isn't the first time and I am looking for some advice,neighbour came back a few weeks ago after school and left her 11 month baby in the car for a good half an hour in the heat,unattended.

Anyway the same has happened tonight,she has come back got all the kids out the car apart from the 11 month girl,this vehicle is parked at the rear of the property in direct sunlight,ok the windows were left open and the boot it's a 7 seater thing,and they have a 6ft gate which leads into the back garden this gate was closed and locked and the 11 month is left all alone in the car whilst it's mother goes in the house for nearly an hour and leaving the others playing in the garden,now they can't see over that fence and gate so anyone could have stolen that baby or worse it could suffer from the heat.

I was going to ring the Police but decided against at the present time,due to personal circumstances I am however going to be contacting ss on Tuesday....

What would you do ?
Velvetboxers
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-04-2011, 05:33 PM
Are these the unpleasant neighbours? If not i would tend to have quick word as they might just be thoughtless & not realise cars can be like mini ovens
Sal
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-04-2011, 06:36 PM
Yes it's the not so nice neighbours........
lore
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-04-2011, 07:04 PM
Contact social services, as far as I am concerned that is just sheer neglect. Mum is leaving baby in a car without supervision for too long. So no, I'd be contacting social services, that's out of order.
ATD
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-04-2011, 07:17 PM
Leaving in the car no problem with in the heat shear stupidity. Give Social services a ring
ATD x
Lucky Star
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-04-2011, 07:29 PM
The baby is being left unattended in a car outside the property boundary (so nobody can see or hear him, even if he cries), in the heat for extended periods?

My goodness! I think the mother needs someone to have a chat with her and explain why this is a bad thing, i.e. the baby is being put at risk.
Jackie
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

24-04-2011, 08:36 AM
30 years ago I used to leave my sleeping babies in the car on my drive, and worse than that my parents (and their generation) would put babies on the doorstep in their prams to get some fresh air, terrible parents that we were

My guess is the baby is asleep and she does not want to wake it, leaving in direct sunlight is not good , if I was you I would have a word about the sun directly on cars , she may not be awAre of the danger .

Not sure I would go as far as reporting her,
Ripsnorterthe2nd
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-04-2011, 09:06 AM
Originally Posted by Jackbox View Post
30 years ago I used to leave my sleeping babies in the car on my drive, and worse than that my parents (and their generation) would put babies on the doorstep in their prams to get some fresh air, terrible parents that we were

My guess is the baby is asleep and she does not want to wake it, leaving in direct sunlight is not good , if I was you I would have a word about the sun directly on cars , she may not be awAre of the danger .

Not sure I would go as far as reporting her,
My Mam used to do exactly the same thing with me when I was a baby, if I was asleep she'd leave me in the car until I woke up. Although she could see the car from the kitchen window! Different world back then I suppose?

I would perhaps have a word re the heat, but given what you've told us so far I'm willing to bet she'll just tell you to **** off and mind your own business!
Sal
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-04-2011, 09:10 AM
Been in a pram outside is different to leaving a baby in direct sunlight,in a vehicle which is parked at the rear of the property behind a 6ft fence and gate and is a garage site for local residents.

Sleeping or not I wouldn't leave my baby in a vehicle which is unlocked in direct sunlight,anyone could have taken it.

I would have a word but we don't speak for good reason,these are the nightmare neighbours who don't listen to a word you say,but I did have a word with another neighbour last night,who knows this womans mother in law and she is going to have a word,she has also told me if it happens again and she's about to call her and she will report it along with me and also go and tell the mother.
lore
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-04-2011, 10:38 AM
See, leaving your bairn in the car if you have a private drive is one thing, or where you can see the car and it's within immediate reach...and leaving a baby in a pram...well yeah, we all did that, Davie was always in his pram in the back garden (fenced and a gate, very secluded). In fact, my health visitor told me off for being wary of putting him outside in his pram.

My mother used to wrap us right up, put us in our pram (and it was the big old fashioned beasts - you know, the ones you'd mistake for a Sherman Tank) and put us out in all weathers, she told me once she went out to get my brother and there was a pile of snow on the pram...yes, not impressed but hey ho we are still alive.

From what Sal is saying this is a public carparking area, the woman cannot see the car from her house and can't get to the car quick in an emergency. No, sorry, I'd not be happy about that at all. I think contacting the mother in law in a roundabout manner is a good idea, it may avert any further action.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >