Our sister sites
lotsforus
Dogsey Senior
Female 

07-04-2007, 10:12 AM

Unsure pup

After some advice.
Loki is 4 months old now.
He seems a bit unsure of men for some reason. I think it may be beacuse they just tend to rush up and rough him on the head and he doesn't like it where as women stand and talk to him then offer a hand out to sniff then stroke him this is what i have noticed in the last few weeks.

The other evening I was at the park with the children and a man can over said hello mate and put a hand out to touch loki and loki put his heckles up and backed away doing little barks. I pulled him back to my heal and the man then started to talk to loki and then was able to stoke him just fine.

Is there anything I can be doing to make him more confident in this situation?
inkliveeva
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-04-2007, 10:46 AM
I think firstly that it is really good that you have picked up on the cause of his behaviour some people would just presume he did'nt like men, so well done for that, I think what you should do is tell the men he does'nt like touched first get them to talk to him and see how he goes...You don't need to give Loki extra confidence, its the humans you need to whip into shape with Loki lol...Good luck with him, Elaine x
GSD-Sue
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-04-2007, 10:49 AM
Between you,the man & yourself have already done a good thing by teaching him A) that barking & backing away doesn't make the problem go away & B) the end result was not something unpleasant.
What you need at present is to make sure that you don't accidently reward him for his fears by fussing him when he is doing it only praising him when he accepts the fuss, A lot of puppies go through a phase like this & he's had a few problems already in his short life hasn't he. With the right approach I'm sure he'll grow out of it. Menwhile perhaps you could stop the humans overpowering him by asking them to show him a hand first,as you say he is happy with this approach.
Heidi1
Dogsey Senior
Female 

07-04-2007, 01:08 PM
Could you get them to give him a treat too when saying hello so he is rewarded for it. Ours is the opposite - too friendly.
lotsforus
Dogsey Senior
Female 

07-04-2007, 03:50 PM
Thankyou all for the advice.
I never thought about the treat thing I will give it ago.
I may hang around in town over the bankholiday get as many people to stroke him as possible.
Wysiwyg
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-04-2007, 05:06 PM
Originally Posted by lotsforus View Post
the man then started to talk to loki and then was able to stoke him just fine.
How was Loki then? what was his body language like? did he tolerate this or was he enjoying it do you know?

Wys
x
lotsforus
Dogsey Senior
Female 

08-04-2007, 07:20 AM
Originally Posted by Wysiwyg View Post
How was Loki then? what was his body language like? did he tolerate this or was he enjoying it do you know?

Wys
x

Yeah he was fine then even pulled to see the mans child and I was talking to him for quite a while.

He really goes mad to see people we know its just strangers hes not expecting.