Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Ecarolineelder
New Member!
Female 

18-09-2010, 03:22 PM

Help!!!!!

I am in serious need of advice as I have no idea what to do.

I have my 2 collies, Mya 6 is amazing and June 17 months.

June has had issues with strangers and dog since we got her. She has been to 3 different trainers I've read so many books and watch Ceaser millan s many time. I've spent the last 15 months trying to sort her. She went ot puppy claases from 12 weeks old, But none of this has stopped it. She has shown some improvement recently.

Untill today!!

June went to go for a very large dog that if it had faught back she would have been killed. But she never got the dog as I pulled her back just in time but when she went for it again she got my leg and has left teeth marks through very thick trousers. I have young kids in the house 2 are under 2 years old.

I am scarred to have her around them what if they get in between her and another dog one day!

Is my only option having her put down as no rescue centre will take her.

All advice welcome.
Tarimoor
Dogsey Senior
Female 

18-09-2010, 05:39 PM
I'm responding quickly as I'm just about to go out and get some firewood to light the log burner, but you perhaps need to post a bit more about June, have you had her since a pup?

The other thing I'd advise, is stop watching Cesar Milan, or any other dog training programmes for that matter, and find a good dog trainer. There are oodles of dog trainers out there waving bits of paper around, what you need is someone who has proven training abilities, so you may need to do a bit of research.

If it comes to the worst case scenario of having to rehome her, then you need to go via a breed rescue, and no, she doesn't from that one incident sound unhomeable to me, although she may have to spend a while finding the right home, should you go down that route.

My honest, first, gut instinct reading your post, I've heard of much much worse cases, so I'd try and find someone, a good trainer, to help you. But please, as I said above, forget about any CM methods or anything else, it's so easy to watch television programmes about training, try and apply their techniques, but unwittingly make things worse....

Hope you keep us updated.
ClaireandDaisy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-09-2010, 06:31 PM
Please read a book called The Culture Clash by Jean Donaldson. It will explain how to train a dog.
C Milan is a TV entertainer, not a dog trainer - avoid him!
I see no reason to have your dog pts. She needs training. Your puppy classes were obviously not very good if they didn`t help.
Please have a look for an APDT qualified trainer who will help you with her.
If you are worried about the children use baby-gates to keep them separate.
BTW I don`t see why no Rescue would take her.
cintvelt
Dogsey Senior
Female 

18-09-2010, 07:33 PM
Hi,

I agree with all posts stating that you should ignore Cesar Milan.... especially with BC's! BC's want to work for you, but angry voices or physically forcing them to do what you want will only make them do the opposite.... the CM "flick" if she does something wrong will make her unhappy.... pinning her to the floor will frustrate her... the best training mode with a BC in my opinion is based on positive stimulation.... reward her when she does what you want... ignore her when she doesn't..... she'll learn at an amazing pace...

please please find a trainer who works with positive, reward-based training... and find one quickly (for example... google your nearest recommended BC breeder, call them and ask for their recommended BC trainers...this method worker for me).... you have a potentially wonderful dog.... but negative experiences will not help her.... or you....

good luck!!!!
Lotsadogs
Dogsey Senior
Female 

19-09-2010, 08:21 PM
Ypu definately need to write more about what is happening before anyone can suggest any advice at all. THough avoiding CM is a great start! In my view the average BC is infinately more dog and people wise than CM! As well as being a lot faster!

BCs are my breed. I've owned several 3 (sort of 4) and trained hundreds. Rehabbng them (or adjusting human expectations accordingly) is my fave activity, but there simply isn't enough to go on from your post.

Tell us more of the incident. Tell us more of what the other dog trainers have said and what you have done. Generally tell us more.....
youngstevie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-09-2010, 08:42 PM
Think you have had some really good replies so far.
Sounds like you have had your older girl awhile and she is mature, which is worth remembering too.
June is young, maybe a little stronger willed, and maybe needs a different course of training than your older one did.

I have 4 here, one of ours Tess has had to have completely different approach to the others, I call her dog with learning difficulties which she isn't of course, but she is very sensitive and I have to say I feel if CM's approach was used on her she'd be a wreck.

I think you maybe feeling very frustrated at the moment with her and having her around with these issues and small children, but please don't think of pts, you have a dog with potiential Im sure she just needs some direction. As others have said, there are wonderful places of training classes out there, and rescues, have you tried asking Collie rescues for advice on training classes, Im sure they will be more than happy to point you in the right direction with someone close to you xxxx
Adam P
Almost a Veteran
Male 

19-09-2010, 08:48 PM
I often work with BC that redirect onto people.
Its not that big an issue (to me) and usually goes away once the dog no longer reacts to other dogs in this way.

Ultimatly you need an effective training technique that will make her behave calmly around other dogs.
With the right approach this can be relatively quickly achieved.

Most border collies also need more exercise and stimulation ime.

Adam
Wysiwyg
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-09-2010, 06:38 AM
A few links that might help:

http://www.apdt.co.uk/local_dog_trainers.asp

http://www.apbc.org.uk/help/regions

Wys
x