View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Kerryowner
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-11-2011, 09:26 PM
We had Parker neutered at almost 2 years old. I had him neutered just because that is what always happened with male dogs-I think if I had another male then I would "wait and see" how it interacted with other dogs etc.

We met a man with an entire JRT today and it was a menace as it would not leave Parker alone, despite the owner repeatedly calling it. It jumped up at his back in the end and Parker had enough and snapped at it. The owner said "serves you right" and I said "Your dog still has all its bits then?" Have met this dog before and it is a pain in the bum and the owner admits it is always after other dogs to try and mount them but he won't have it neutered!
Surely sometimes it is the right thing to do, though not always.
lozzibear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-11-2011, 09:55 PM
I don't think it is fair to ask the OP why they are wanting to get their dog neutered, it is the owners decision. I, personally, always will get my dogs neutered/spayed... I have a neutered male who has never had an issue with humping.

My dog was neutered at 6 months, some people don't agree with that but my previous dog was neutered by the SSPCA at the same age, and he never had any problems... neither does my current dog. I'm not sure what I will do in the future, I might wait until later and they are fully matured...
PB&J
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-11-2011, 10:21 PM
I had Gelert done at six months, having intended to wait until he was older, because he was so incredibly pushy with me I was worried he'd only get worse and I wouldn't be able to cope. My mum talked me into it in the end. In hindsight perhaps it was normal adolescent stuff I should have worked through but it did seem a little too much, too soon. I still have my doubts over whether it was the right thing to do but I think it helped his behaviour and we got on much better! He's grown into a normal, happy, outgoing dog anyway.
Normally I would prefer to wait until a dog is fully physically and mentally mature if at all possible but there are always exceptions.
sarah1983
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-11-2011, 10:59 PM
Personally I'd wait until the dog was completley mature regardless of whether it was a dog or a bitch. Except for medical reasons of course.

I read yesterday of a litter of 4 week old pups who have already been spayed and neutered
Jenny
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-11-2011, 11:22 PM
Unless a dog needs to be castrated early for medical reasons, it should be left until they are physically mature. The larger the dog, the longer it takes for them to mature. If possible (in my opinion) wait at least until your dog is 2 years old.

I'm in a total quandary as to what to do about mine - two males, same age but one has a heart murmur! I've got to get his heart scanned to see how much of a risk him having an anaesthetic will be. Not wise for me to have one done and not the other!! Also they both still think they are 'top dog' Anyway, that is another story and they are still only young.
smokeybear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-11-2011, 11:29 PM
I am not sure why ou believe it is not wise for you to have one neutered and not the other?
Jenny
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-11-2011, 08:32 AM
Hi Smokeybear, I'd been told by various people who have two males, and have read articles on-line that if you castrate only one you automatically make the 'entire' one top dog. I'd love to be told that that is not necessarily the case. Inside the house Rucksack (the one who is fit) appears to be 'top dog' etc etc, although when off lead outside Flash (with heart murmur) is top dog, so by having just one 'done' will I be upsetting he status- quo?? They get on fantastically well and we've had no real scraps, only what you'd expect to get between brothers. We took Flash on as a 'rescue' as the breeder knew he had a heart murmur. I look forward to any comments.
sarah1983
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-11-2011, 10:55 AM
Well nobody told Wolf he was top dog once Shadow lost his furry plums. In fact the idea of Wolf dominating anything is laughable. Nobody told Shadow he was no longer the king either. The regular dogs on the field didn't change how they behaved with him, nor was he ever "dominated" by a strange dog.

I don't believe dogs have a rigid pack hierarchy though, I believe it changes from situation to situation depending on what is important to the dogs in question.
Jenny
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-11-2011, 11:52 AM
Thanks Sarah. My two have such different personalities anyway. One is more of a couch potato and one never stays still for long (the one with the heart murmur!!) I'll wait until they are fully mature (if they ever will be..ha..ha.) and then just get the one done.
x-clo-x
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-11-2011, 12:20 PM
i wouldnt get a male dog neutered to sto him mating, as i think that you as an owner can prevent that yourself.

however if you do want it done, id wait until the dog is physically mature and id wait until at least 18 months, if not two years.
Page 2 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >