View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
SibeLuver03
Dogsey Junior
Female 

05-04-2006, 05:34 PM

Oh the horror abandoned dogs must go through...

Hey all,

As some of you may or may not know, I work at my dogs' veterinary hospital. It is a job that I have learned so much from, both good and bad. But basically, I hate it. But that's another story. I just wanted to discuss what I experienced at work today.

My female Siberian husky, Kieron, was due for her annual vaccinations. I asked my boss, the vet, if it would be easier for me to bring Kieron to work with me and keep her in a run, or if I should bring her up on a day I had off of work, that way she wouldn't have to stay. He told me to just bring her with me.

So today, I did. I got her girly pink collar and pink bandana on her and her "I Love Snow" leash. I packed her a bag full of toys and chew bones to keep her entertained. I knew that she wouldn't be happy being stuck in a run all day, much less a cage. But I figured she would be okay.

She was fine, nothing happened to her. But I felt terrible all day long. She was literally screaming and crying the whole time. She was jumping around, trying to figure out how to get out of the run. She was causing all the other dogs to bark a ton, too. She screamed. She hated it. She made me feel terrible.

I mean, how could I put my beautiful baby girl in a cage? How could I? She's my little angel!

Thank goodness I was able to get off of work early so I could get her back home. She is now dozing in the sunshine, acting as if nothing happened.

This whole day got me thinking. Dogs are picked up by dog catchers and taken to the pound every day. But worst of all, dogs are left behind by their owners who can no longer keep them because of one reason or another.

Can you imagine how scared and terrified an average family dog would feel being left behind for good? Lets put together a scenario here.

Your average dog. Lets say its a Lab. He is 5 years old and lived with his family ever since he was 10 weeks old. He is an indoor dog, pampered to no end. Baths, groomings, walks twice a day. He is living the good life.

Then, lets just say, the family finds out it is expecting a new baby. They don't want to mess with introducing and giving extra training to their Lab in helping it except the new baby.

So what do they do? They get rid of their best friend and family member. They take him to their local vet or shelter and just sign his life away.

This dog has never been in a cage before, he had never been crate trained or boarded. But now all the sudden he finds himself in a cramped cage or run. Dogs everywhere are barking and crying, rattling their cage doors trying to get out. The Lab starts barking his own head off, calling for his family. But its too late, they're gone.

Now, whether our Lab gets a new home or not, that's for you to decide when you're done reading this. But just think about how terrified and upset and hurt this loving family dog is.

That's how Kieron was today. She thought I had abandoned her. She's never been boarded, never been crate trained. She is an indoor dog and gets pampered to no end. I would never give her up, no matter the situation. But she didn't know that. She had no idea what was going to happen to her.

But all the dogs in the world, whether they were picked up off the streets or put up for adoption, but have a terrible first few days.

Now I know that tons of dogs are fine with being boarded at the kennels. That's awesome. But oh the horror for the poor dogs who aren't fine with it.

Just my thought for today. What are your thoughts?

-Tara
Brundog
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-04-2006, 06:35 PM
you just made me cry !!

no its totally somethig I think about - it must be awful - I would hate ifmy dog was ever in that position. I would never ever kennel him as he would be so so stressed by it.
Meg
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

05-04-2006, 07:23 PM
Hi Tara sounds as if work is no better huh ? (hug)

I can imagine what some dogs go through at least you were not far away from Kieron ...I guess dogs are like people some more fearful than others...it's the same when you have to leave you baby at playschool or in hospital...luckily with a little extra love and attention they do forget the experience
bens mum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-04-2006, 08:02 PM
ive never put ben in a kennel, and hes only ever been to my daughters, i couldnt leave him, when we go away we always go camping so he comes with us.
but your post brought tears to my eyes, those poor dogs.
Trixy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-04-2006, 08:03 PM
Very sad I hate how these things happen
alexandra
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-04-2006, 09:16 AM
i hate thinking about that, its why i could never get a pup from a breeder, i would have to get rescue, at least i would feel as though im doing something to help put these horrible expreiences aside for one loving family dog that has been abandoned.
Petstalk
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-04-2006, 09:55 AM
It does make you think.

The thought in some countries of posting unwanted dog through dog shoots, horified me.

RSPCA in uk do try to encourage rehoming of domestic animals to more planned.

Min xxxx
alexandra
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-04-2006, 10:04 AM
Originally Posted by Petstalk
It does make you think.

The thought in some countries of posting unwanted dog through dog shoots, horified me.

RSPCA in uk do try to encourage rehoming of domestic animals to more planned.

Min xxxx

what are dog shoots?
KatieB_23
Dogsey Senior
Female 

06-04-2006, 12:49 PM
I know I hate to think about it.
Poor Gadget had a terrible time in the pound apparently (a year before we got him). He was underweight and had kennel cough. I will never ever ever put him in kennels because I would be mortified if he thought we had abandoned him. He loves his soft sofa & beds & cuddles soo much - it really upsets me to think of him in a cold hard cage.
I would rather never go on holiday ever again than put him through that. Fortunately my Mum adores him and is itching for us to go away so she can spoil him again!
alexandra
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-04-2006, 01:41 PM
Originally Posted by KatieB_23
I know I hate to think about it.
Poor Gadget had a terrible time in the pound apparently (a year before we got him). He was underweight and had kennel cough. I will never ever ever put him in kennels because I would be mortified if he thought we had abandoned him. He loves his soft sofa & beds & cuddles soo much - it really upsets me to think of him in a cold hard cage.
I would rather never go on holiday ever again than put him through that. Fortunately my Mum adores him and is itching for us to go away so she can spoil him again!

That is one of my biggest concerns with china, i dont want her to think that she is being abandoned again as she had previously been in RSPCA 3 times before we got her....
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >