Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
NickyAnn
Dogsey Senior
Female 

18-05-2016, 10:37 PM

Why teach dogs to follow flying birds

If you watch the video, you will see a guy (I call him a clown) having birddogs chase flying birds. Why in the name of God would someone actually teach or reinforce this? as the bird is going to win every time and the dog is 100 percent guaranteed to be wasting his or her time. So why is this guy not conning unknowing buyers?
gordon mac
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

18-05-2016, 11:25 PM
This video is absurd. Why would anyone want to teach something that the majority of HPR breed owners would wish to eradicate. It can teach only bad habits, such as running in or failure to be steady on point.
I cannot, in all sincerety, see what is to be gained from this "lesson" or from watching the video.
NickyAnn
Dogsey Senior
Female 

18-05-2016, 11:54 PM
I actually do see what is gained, and it is that this guy presents what looks like well trained dogs to novice buyers, who have too much money.

When my dogs flush a bird into the air, they stop on that bird and begin the search for the next. I didn't teach this either, they seem to understand that they can't fly and that the airborne bird is already the victor, unless a gun goes off. This video just pisses me off, because these are the same clowns that are crossbreeding German and English pointers and destroying the some German lines completely.
gordon mac
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

19-05-2016, 12:21 AM
Sorry Nicky Ann these dogs don't look anything like trained to me. The kennels are obviously just conning people out of their money.
Novice buyers they may be, but they are also stupid, in that they have obviously not done any sort of research into what is expected of their chosen breed of dog. Even a little light reading on the subject would show up this sort of practice as futile at best.
As regards the cross breeding you mention - why would they ameliorate decent working lines of either breed with this practice?
NickyAnn
Dogsey Senior
Female 

19-05-2016, 12:37 AM
I doubt that this happens in the UK, but here it is common, as the crossbreeds actually win the old style field trials where horses are used, because the crosses run more and faster. There is also a need in the USA with all of it's people and land, that many just want something different, NAVDHA is a relatively new field trial organization that is trying to run different test to eliminate the hybrids. In all reality the hybrids are such great animals, that the Shorthair owners with these dogs clearly could form a breed club and new standard, but they would rather use English studs and a make believe German father to breed to the female shorthair. This is so common here that there is a new German group here now breeding Deutch Kurzharrs and this group will not allow registered pups with any AKC dog.
gordon mac
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

19-05-2016, 12:47 AM
Thank you for the explanation.
To my knowledge there are no traditional field trials held in this country that would allow a crossbreed to enter. All such trials being breed specific.
I cannot criticise people for using crossbreeds for work as I keep and work three large lurchers, which as you will know are crossbreeds. So I have to avoid being hypocritical.
NickyAnn
Dogsey Senior
Female 

19-05-2016, 01:12 AM
The dogs here are crossbreeds genetically, but because of the fake father these hybrids actually have AKC registered pedigrees. So the field trials are only allowing pedigree dogs to enter here as well.

Here is an example, with shorthair colors and tail, and an English pointer head. http://www.dogbreedplus.com/dog_bree...-dog-photo.jpg

http://highrollnkennel.com/pb/wp_eb6...d6e9e7b9f9.jpg
gordon mac
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

19-05-2016, 01:51 AM
I see what you mean - the highroll one in particular. Thank you for taking the trouble to post the pics. I have seen GSPs working over here and was impressed by their drive, and have on occasion shot over them.
My only personal experience of English Ps was watching them working as part of a falconry team with peregrines. Sadly, although they were competent they didn't have the dash of the GSP. So to me it is strange that they should cross the two - well atleast from the GSP angle - where it seems there is little to be gained. I am however not a pointer man and as such am only speaking frompersonal observation.
It is now nearly 3.am here so I'm away to my bed, nice chatting to you.
Jackie
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

19-05-2016, 08:43 AM
Whats with these people and e.collars....... not to mention the cruelty to the birds.

Also it worth pointing out that a hybrid is a cross between two species........NOT two breeds of the same species !