Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
antkn33@gmail
New Member!
Male 

13-11-2017, 01:07 AM

Creative Ideas for potty areas

We have two chihuahuas and this will be our first winter with them. They HATE going outside when it’s raining, especially going in the wet grass. I can imagine they will hate the snow even more.
They have a dog door that goes on to a deck then in to out yard. They poop on the deck when the weather is bad. That’s not ideal but better than the house... they will not pee on the deck though. The way our house is set up, it would be difficult to let them out any other way.
I am wondering if anyone out there has any creative solutions for similar dogs. Thanks.
Gnasher
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-11-2017, 08:20 AM
They are dogs first and foremost ... they need to go outside to relieve themselves and outside they must go! It wont kill them, be firm ... if you must you could put coats on them, but best not be soppy! My daughter has 2 chis both of whom dont like the bad weather but have no choice in the matter ... they are put out into the garden every morning and hopefully walked, then repeat performance at night. Weeing on the decking I can understand .. could you put down a large tray for them filled with soil? Esp if they are males, they will need a post to pee against! But treat them like dogs, not pampered lapdogs, and they will be much happier for it ... persist, it wont be easy, but they will learn just like Gucci and Diesel! Gucci at a very young age went for a 6 mile walk on Putsborough beach in January with no coat, running like a looney with our Malamute cross in and out
Of the sea, rockpools all the while pouring with rain!!
aerolor
Almost a Veteran
Female 

19-11-2017, 01:23 PM
It is best that they go outside - good or bad weather. You could try getting some artificial grass and putting it down on your deck. Take them to it each time and hopefully they will perform. You can easily keep the artificial grass free from snow and hygienic by washing down. Once they get used to going there and their scent is on it you should be OK. A piece about 1.5 metres square should be plenty for two little dogs. Other than that you could try proper turf, but have a go with the artificial grass first. As Gnasher says a post for males is helpful.
Dibbythedog
Dogsey Senior
Female 

21-11-2017, 05:12 PM
Put coats on them when they go out .

You could artificial grass down on the deck .
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Golden-Moon...for+dogs&psc=1
Besoeker
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

21-11-2017, 10:22 PM
Originally Posted by antkn33@gmail View Post
We have two chihuahuas and this will be our first winter with them. They HATE going outside when it’s raining, especially going in the wet grass. I can imagine they will hate the snow even more.
They have a dog door that goes on to a deck then in to out yard. They poop on the deck when the weather is bad. That’s not ideal but better than the house... they will not pee on the deck though. The way our house is set up, it would be difficult to let them out any other way.
I am wondering if anyone out there has any creative solutions for similar dogs. Thanks.
I don't know if you will post here with any results you get from the good advice you have been given in this thread.

But, FWIW...
Ours is also sometimes a bit reluctant to go out in the rain. Puting him on the lead seems to make him more confident to go.

And he has a good raincoat.
Skylar Bryant
New Member!
Female 

28-11-2017, 07:34 PM
If the best solution is to go potty outside, than make them wear a waterproof boots or something to protect their feet/paws! It could be a hassle putting the boots on several times in a day, so get like an easy velcro type!