Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Miikiiiiiiii
New Member!
Female 

23-08-2017, 03:01 AM

Getting a dog from another country?

Hi,

I found this breeder from USA (I live in Canada) that has an appealing puppy that I seem to like. If we were to get it, it would take about a one hour flight here.

The only problem is, one of our family members feels that getting a dog from another country is too much of a hassle (I have already looked through possible breeders in our area and the only one has a litter due late October with only one spot left meaning last pick which isn't a very good situation)

I do not see the reason to overthink it too much. If anyone has gotten a dog from another country, please tell me if there was any hassle or trouble. From the description and the many pictures I received, she seems to be a sweet dog.

There is no problem with returning her in case she has a health issue, we will not have to pay for the flight back.

As for her arriving here, she can be delivered right to our door. Is there truly a problem?

(Another thing is, I've already contacted the breeder and I would feel guilty for leaving him hanging after he went through the trouble to reply to all my messages with lots of details)

Thank you for taking the time to read this, I hope you can give some further insight for me ^^
brenda1
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-08-2017, 07:34 AM
Hm have you seen the pup? Are you sure it is coming from this breeder and not a puppy farm? I ask because there are so many scams around with selling puppies, especially for those that can deliver to the door!! Just out of interest what bred is the puppy?
tumbleweed
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

23-08-2017, 08:36 AM
Have you seen any vet reports on the puppy or seen the puppies mother or rest of litter. Not a good idea buying by "post" anyway. Bet you havn't even seen the puppies pedigree of if it has been registered with any organisation.

One thing about getting from a "local" responsible breeder is you can always go back to ask questions and also let the breeder see how the puppy is getting on with the new owner. You can't do this going the distance your going. What about import papers and quarrantine? yet more expense ,No doubt your puppy would need a vet check requirement in entering your country.
Why does he/she want to sell so far away? do you know his/her reputation regarding animals and puppies sold already? Is he a licenced breeder or just a "back street" breeder out to make money
Besoeker
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

23-08-2017, 09:07 AM
Originally Posted by Miikiiiiiiii View Post
Hi,

I found this breeder from USA (I live in Canada) that has an appealing puppy that I seem to like. If we were to get it, it would take about a one hour flight here.

The only problem is, one of our family members feels that getting a dog from another country is too much of a hassle (I have already looked through possible breeders in our area and the only one has a litter due late October with only one spot left meaning last pick which isn't a very good situation)

I do not see the reason to overthink it too much. If anyone has gotten a dog from another country, please tell me if there was any hassle or trouble. From the description and the many pictures I received, she seems to be a sweet dog.

There is no problem with returning her in case she has a health issue, we will not have to pay for the flight back.

As for her arriving here, she can be delivered right to our door. Is there truly a problem?

(Another thing is, I've already contacted the breeder and I would feel guilty for leaving him hanging after he went through the trouble to reply to all my messages with lots of details)

Thank you for taking the time to read this, I hope you can give some further insight for me ^^
I wouldn't do it. There are around 6 million dogs in Canada.
Losos
Fondly Remembered
Male 

23-08-2017, 12:24 PM
Marina you are the perfect punter for this breeder, you are what these breeders call a 'mug punter'

This is the worst possible way to buy a puppy, indicitive of the 'I want it and I want it now' syndrone.

If you go ahead you will have to take the puppy to the vet very soon after you get it, the vet will tell you it needs a lot of medication, you won't be able to afford it, so the poor dog will end up in a rescue (or worse.)

Look, you (and regretably me too) are living in 2017 not 1916 with the internet it's so easy for these crooks to operate, no one, no government or law enforcement agency, is getting even close to fixing the problem and while there are mug punters around like yourself they will never be able to close in on the fraudsters and crooks.
Losos
Fondly Remembered
Male 

23-08-2017, 12:33 PM
Originally Posted by Miikiiiiiiii View Post
NO Marina that's NOT details that's just electronic characters on a screen in front of you, it's rubbish, he could write anything.

What you need is:-
a) paper authentication
b) written (on paper) references from at least three customers
c) photos of all the puppies, the mother and father
d) American breed association confirmation of him being a genuine breeder
e) full medical records of mother and father

And loads more stuff, why don't you look in your local area like one of your family suggested.
Miikiiiiiiii
New Member!
Female 

23-08-2017, 06:04 PM
Yeah, I don't think I was thinking very clearly before.... anyways, I've decided against it so everything's fine and we will continue to look for one in Canada ^^

Again, thank you all because I feel rather stupid for feeling that way
brenda1
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-08-2017, 08:31 PM
Don't feel stupid. Heart was ruling head but you asked for help and that made your head think. Good luck in your search. What breed are you looking for?
Miikiiiiiiii
New Member!
Female 

23-08-2017, 10:25 PM
A cavapoo.
brenda1
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-08-2017, 07:52 AM
Hi If you put in cavapoo canada lots of breeders come up. Good Luck with your search.