Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Besoeker
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

17-08-2017, 09:47 PM

New dog

Those of you who look at my posts will know that we have a very loveable big beast. a gentle giant. Max.

We may have the opportunity to be gifted with a little dog. Out in the park, Max gets along with it brilliantly. We'd love to home the other dog. Just not quite sure how Max would take it. I think OK Could be the companion he needs
Chris
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-08-2017, 10:24 PM
I don't know the circumstances, but it sounds like you know the owner of the dog? If so, would they be willing to let you have a 'trial run', ie have the dog stay with you for a week or so before making a final decision?
Besoeker
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

18-08-2017, 04:30 AM
Originally Posted by Chris View Post
I don't know the circumstances, but it sounds like you know the owner of the dog? If so, would they be willing to let you have a 'trial run', ie have the dog stay with you for a week or so before making a final decision?
Yes, that would be perfect. I don't know the whole story either except that the dog isn't being walked now. The owner/keeper doesn't have the time/inclination. Full time job and too tired when she gets home.

Watch this space.....
Besoeker
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

18-08-2017, 05:39 AM
I have had a chat with my dear wife who has now researched the breed. Needs regular grooming, can be bossy, not too many other issues. Could be interesting.............
brenda1
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-08-2017, 08:00 AM
Personally I think you will lose what companionship you have with Max. A lot to think about.
Trouble
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

18-08-2017, 10:34 AM
I've never found having multiple dogs ever had any effect on my bond with them as individuals. If you are happy to take the little one on and Max is agreeable then go for it.
brenda1
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-08-2017, 10:51 AM
If you have multiple dogs to begin with then yes I agree but Max is so special to Besoeker not sure. Probably but always best to make sure.
Trouble
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

18-08-2017, 10:58 AM
Besoeker has had Max for about a year I think, he came as an adult. I've usually left around that long between adding another. I didn't start out with 7 dogs but dogs adapt easily when made to feel welcome and given individual attention.Ruby my latest addition arrived as a 2 year old about 8 months ago and firmly attached herself to me from the very beginning.
The new addition might well bond with Mrs Besoeker.
Besoeker
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

18-08-2017, 03:19 PM
Originally Posted by Trouble View Post
Besoeker has had Max for about a year I think, he came as an adult. I've usually left around that long between adding another. I didn't start out with 7 dogs but dogs adapt easily when made to feel welcome and given individual attention.Ruby my latest addition arrived as a 2 year old about 8 months ago and firmly attached herself to me from the very beginning.
The new addition might well bond with Mrs Besoeker.
We've had Max for a bit over two years now. It some ways it seems to have flown by but, on the other hand, it's hard to remember not having him. A new dog might very well bond with Mrs B. As she says, Max is very much my dog but I think he sees us as a unit. If we go to the supermarket, Max and I will have a stroll then wait outside with his eyes are glued to the doors. Not even an act of Parliament would get him to move until she comes out.

Anyway, the jury is still out on the little black cockapoodle....
Losos
Fondly Remembered
Male 

18-08-2017, 04:34 PM
Originally Posted by Besoeker View Post
Max is very much my dog but I think he sees us as a unit. If we go to the supermarket, Max and I will have a stroll then wait outside with his eyes are glued to the doors. Not even an act of Parliament would get him to move until she comes out.
OK I know I'm always banging on about this but of course Max sees you three 'as a unit'

You could have used the word 'pack'

However one describes it, the fact is that dogs are social creatures and have a deep inbuilt desire to 'join a pack' so you ask "Why" and the answer is simple, a big pack is a strong pack so the bigger the better.

But each dogs physical size within the pack does not matter, your little cockerpoo might have the 'leader' gene and will want to boss Max around (In the way humans don't often understand) He (or should that be she ?) might exhibit some 'dominance' behavior, that is all about dog heirachy (another thing many humans don't understand)

I can't see any problems in fact I would say your new 'pack' (i.e. you, your wife, Max, and the new dog) will get along fine.

Having said that, if the opportunity to have the new dog for a few days arises then why not. Is the new dog male or female ? is it much younger ? Healthy ?

Go for it
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >