Our sister sites
Our sister sites
kathleenn
New Member!
Female 

02-12-2016, 06:59 AM

Relocating with dogs?

Hi all,
I have 2 cute little pugs. I had bought them 2 years ago, and since then, they are like my best friends. I literally can’t live without them. Now, we are relocating to a new city, and so, I want to take my pugs along. But, my dad is against this, he is saying that relocating with pets would be really difficult, and he is asking me to leave them here, and to get new pets there. But, I am not gonna allow that. So, I had been researching online on how to safely bring along a pet while relocating. I have heard that there are organizations that help with pet relocation. They will safely move our pets to our new home. Has anyone here relocated with pets? I am so worried, I just want them safely in my new home.
Lynn
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Gold Supporter 

02-12-2016, 08:51 AM
We relocate with our large breed 3 years ago nearly 100 miles away from where we previously lived.
He didn't need to be kennelled while the move was in progress kept on lead and one of us was in control of him at all times. He travelled later here with my husband while I finished the house at the other end.
no problems whatsoever leaving a dog/s behind and then contemplating getting new ones is beyond my comprehension you need to stick to your guns there are no problems with dogs relocating at all if done properly.
brenda1
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-12-2016, 08:53 AM
Where are you relocating to is the first question? Then maybe ask your vet or ask your breeder of the pugs. Also how are you relocating travel wise?
Trouble
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

02-12-2016, 09:25 AM
I think your dad is going to miss the dogs and that's his problem. I'd always take my dogs with me, if they couldn't go then nor would I. Pugs are easy dogs, all they want is to be with you. They are easy to contain on the journey, but you don't say how far you are going or how you are getting there.
Crysania
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-12-2016, 04:13 PM
I see no reason why you shouldn't move WITH them? You said a new city? Is this nearby or in a totally different country? We recently moved from a duplex in the city to a house and of COURSE the dogs went with us. It seems crazy to me to say "Oh just get new pets and ditch these ones." It's not like dumping your sofa to get a new one!
Besoeker
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

02-12-2016, 11:45 PM
FWIW ours travels with us and he seems comfortable with that. Lots of miles, different hotels, not a problem.

My dear wife commented that he seems to like the travelling business.
We stayed in a cottage in Scotland a few months ago. He was perfectly fine with that. He knew where we were.

I think if you love your dog and it loves you you can go anywhere with it.
kathleenn
New Member!
Female 

03-12-2016, 03:11 AM
Thank you for the replies everyone. Like I said, I am planning to hire an organization to help me with this. I checked online and found Armmove , and they provide this international service. H as anyone hired them ? or such services?
brenda1
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-12-2016, 06:28 AM
You are still not saying if you are flying or how far. Can't really advise if you don't say?
Lynn
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Gold Supporter 

03-12-2016, 07:59 AM
Hi again we are mostly a Uk site so would not of heard of the organisation you mention. Here we tend to do roads not flying between states.
Sorry that it isn't much help. I am sure of you do things carefully your dogs will be fine.
Besoeker
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

03-12-2016, 07:31 PM
Somewhat related..........
My wife is from Georgia - the USA one - and we live in UK.
Were were going to go over there this year but, for various reasons, we have delayed it until next year.

The dog can go with us but would need to be in a crate. So we got one. Then I had second thoughts. It's a nine hour flight and he would be stuck in the cargo hold. I just couldn't do that to him.

So, when my dear wife goes back, I'll stay here. All alone. With the dog......
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >