Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Besoeker
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

19-11-2016, 09:42 PM
Originally Posted by Moobli View Post
No, thankfully (by the sound of it) 1962 is before my time
It was the worst snow I'd seen but it was on high ground and about 20 miles north of Dundee.

The dog (not the one I have now, obviously) loved it. All the fields were on a slope so good for sledging. And the dog would pull the sledge back up the hill.

Dogs........the image by the OP reminds me of this which I have probably posted before:

Moobli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-11-2016, 09:52 PM
Lovely photo. He reminds me a little of my old collie, Moss.

The worst winter we have had for a while was 2009/10 when we were snowed in completely for 3 weeks with no electricity, heat or light. We have since bought a generator! Being in the hills we get snow every year but the depth and length it lasts varies from year to year.
Besoeker
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

19-11-2016, 10:48 PM
Lovely photo. He reminds me a little of my old collie, Moss.

The worst winter we have had for a while was 2009/10 when we were snowed in completely for 3 weeks with no electricity, heat or light. We have since bought a generator! Being in the hills we get snow every year but the depth and length it lasts varies from year to year.
Southern Uplands IIRC. Lovely part of the country. I used to drive to Scotland quite often and sometimes preferred the more scenic A702 rather than sticking to motorways. But in wintry conditions.

Being without electricity for three weeks would be a challenge for anyone. (Well maybe not the Tuareg people)

But if your way of life, your habits, are based on it and you lose it even for a day, far less three weeks........

No fridge, no freezer, no television, no lights, no computer, short daylight hours........

There are other ways (UPS systems) but I think a generator was a good choice. Just make sure you run it up, even for a short time, on a regular basis. They are routinely used as standby in water pumping stations and the normal schedule is once a month.

The last thing you want to find out is that it won't start when you really need it.
Moobli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-11-2016, 09:56 AM
Thanks for the tip about the generator, and I will be sure to use it. Yes, Southern Uplands is correct
Besoeker
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

20-11-2016, 10:51 AM
Thanks for the tip about the generator, and I will be sure to use it. Yes, Southern Uplands is correct
You're welcome.
Fuel? I don't know what fuel consumption you will get but you might need quite a lot for three weeks of use. And there may be regulatiions on how much you may be permitted to store or on the storage facilities.

Sorry to go off topic.
Moobli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-11-2016, 11:52 AM
Originally Posted by Besoeker View Post
You're welcome.
Fuel? I don't know what fuel consumption you will get but you might need quite a lot for three weeks of use. And there may be regulatiions on how much you may be permitted to store or on the storage facilities.

Sorry to go off topic.
We have a number (not sure how many) jimmy cans to store petrol (as our quads take petrol too). I think because we live an a farm on a working Estate storage isn't a problem - but will look into it.
tumbleweed
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

20-11-2016, 01:11 PM
Moobi
This is what you need to read

http://www.hse.gov.uk/fireandexplosi...ssociation.htm
Moobli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-11-2016, 03:48 PM
Originally Posted by tumbleweed View Post