Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Ms. M
Dogsey Junior
Female 

27-10-2016, 01:51 PM

DIY Halloween Dog Costume Ideas

Hi guys! Any plans this coming Halloween?

I'm planning to make DIY costumes for Peach and Lucky. Since Peach is an average size dog and Lucky is a bit large, I specifically looked for those sizes.

I found two great resources after few hours of looking around the web and thought it would be great to share them here.

http://www.metroeastrba.com/halloween-dog-costumes/
http://www.metroeastrba.com/27-large...ween-costumes/

I'm planning to make the ladybug costume for Peach and the Ninja Turtle costume would look cute with Lucky.

You can always experiment on it though. Happy crafting!
Gnasher
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-10-2016, 09:55 PM
Wouldn't it be better to just dress yourself up and leave the dogs as nature intended? Sorry to be a killjoy, but personally I hate to see dogs wearing any sort of clothing in this way.
Chris
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-10-2016, 11:07 PM
If your dog is happy to wear it, then it's all in good fun.

A little reminder though, there are fireworks going off around Halloween so please don't take your dog out trick or treating after dark.
Gnasher
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-10-2016, 08:16 AM
None of the dogs in the pictures looked in any way happy ... just the opposite. Even if they jump with glee into their outfits, I still think it is anthropomorphic and very wrong to put clothes onto dogs, except for husbandry issues. Dogs are not extensions of their humans, they are animals in their own right and deserve to be treated as such.

I'm not a killjoy, and if the dog is not frightened of fireworks and loud noises, then brilliant, no harm in taking him trick or treating, but please leave him "au naturel" and not dress him up as a human extension!
Trouble
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

28-10-2016, 12:22 PM
Normally I wouldn't put clothes on dogs as I don't like it but two of mine have worn T shirts after surgery and loved it. Frank wore a bright pink T shirt belonging to my grand daughter and I left it on the side one day and he picked it up and brought it to me to put on him. He had the vets in stitches he was so proud and happy in that T shirt it was unreal, his tail never stopped wagging.
The other one was Rio female Dobermann who wore an enormous bright orange T shirt belonging to my son, with don't worry be happy on it, it was knotted to make it snug and the others kept trying to get it off her but she thought it was wonderful.
I don't think most dogs like wearing things on their heads though like hats and antlers etc but the dog with the Lion's mane looks cute.
Chris
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-10-2016, 12:48 PM
As said, if the dog is happy then why not?

Mine wears a coat in winter. She's happy in the coat, but unhappy without it.

Not an extension of me - just a dog that is happier when warm
Gnasher
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-10-2016, 03:24 PM
Fine, as i said, for medical reasons , warmth or protection, but not for "dressing up" or ridicule, to be laughed at. As Trouble says, they particularlu hate stuff on their heads
lorniec
Dogsey Junior
Female 

28-10-2016, 04:04 PM
I'm posting as this post is an example why people join up post and then are never heard from again.
New members or those less well known barely get a response the only time there is much traffic is when someone starts an argument (eg Nicky Ann)

My Louis wears jumpers when it is cooler for a number of different reasons
He is short haired and when clipped gets chilly
He really isn't bothered by it at all
He likes putting it on as it signals a walk
It encourages people who don't like dogs to talk to me and get to know him ( has happened many times)
It generally makes people smile ( not laugh at him but smile)
It gives him some protection should an aggressive dog go for him as they may just grab the jumper
Finally and mainly it does him NO HARM what so ever as they are always comfortable styles and makes me happy and makes him part of the family as my young nieces love him in a Halloween jumper or Christmas jumper and teaches them that dog are a member of the family - NOT human but part of the family all the same.
Chris
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-10-2016, 06:15 PM
Dogs really couldn't care less if we laugh at them - in fact, to them it is just happy people around them and they like happy people.

Live and let live. If people want to have fun with their dog and their dog is happy, then why on Earth not?
Trouble
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

28-10-2016, 06:39 PM
Originally Posted by Chris View Post
Dogs really couldn't care less if we laugh at them - in fact, to them it is just happy people around them and they like happy people.

Live and let live. If people want to have fun with their dog and their dog is happy, then why on Earth not?
I agree, I laugh at my dogs all the time, they like it, they're better than any anti depressants. They make me laugh every day and I can't imagine not sharing a giggle with them.
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >