View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
rosbour
Dogsey Junior
Female 

27-09-2014, 11:06 PM
I agree leaving a dog for so long is not an option and would not consider it by choice and half an hour is not enough stimulation for the dog...if you have not got the time to give do not get a dog.... However I have three and circumstances can change I am now not with my husband and the children just left home and I work full time so my 14yrs old 5 yrs old and 3 yrs old are left all day with a friend coming to see to them 3 times a week whilst at work, but they get a good hours walk and 2 at least at weekends.. I would love not to work to look after my dogs all day but not realistic.. also I do not go on holiday as I don't want to leave my dogs (unless a log cabin which I can take them all with me) and i wont part with them so think deeply before you commit.. they are like children at least 15 years commitment
Azz
Administrator
Male 

27-09-2014, 11:37 PM
Originally Posted by ATD View Post
Both mine are left for that amount of time, they dont suffer are in really good health, as long as the dogs can cope with it there is no problem. I have 1 9yo cocker and a 5 month old husky, some people have to work
ATD x
I know people who work a normal 9 - 5 too, and their dogs seem happy enough. They get plenty of exercise before and after and enough mental stimulation throughout the day by means of toys and games.
muddymoodymoo
Dogsey Senior
Female 

28-09-2014, 01:06 AM
The poster is new to dog owning. I think there is a difference between dogs who have got used to a routine and being left alone. The poster would be getting a new dog, possibly a puppy and leaving alone it all that time? And what would happen to the dog when neighbours complained that the dog barks or howls all day or the poster comes home and doesn't recognise his/her apartment due to canine redesign?

Not advisable.

Anyway - what is a 'house dog'? Stuffed fluffy toy? Then that is perfect, available in many breeds and ideal for those with no time and experience to care for dogs the way they should be.
marley123
Dogsey Senior
Male 

28-09-2014, 09:44 AM
Dogs that are used to being left hours a day or what ever had to start getting used to it at some point, the posters new dog would get used to it the same way I'm sure, I think any dog needs more exercise than that though, apart from maby handbag type dogs. ( sorry no offence ment to owners,)
That could even be trained to use puppy pads during the day if it suited owner
Fernsmum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-09-2014, 03:53 PM
I have a poodle and I would definately not recommend a poodle for anyone who is going to be out most of the day . Thay are very high energy ( even though they are small ) and they do like a lot of exercise . Poodles are also extremely intelligent and need a lot of mental stimulation . A bored poodle is not a happy dog . Poodles are also the most people orientated dogs I have ever known in over 40 years of owning different breeds . My poodle does not pay much attention to my other dogs she only wants to be with humans . I would strongly advise you not to get a poodle in your circumstances . I don't know what breed would suit but maybe someone else knows of a breed who would be suitable .
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2