Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-09-2014, 10:20 AM
fluffyhippo get on gumtree or your local pets page on fbook sadly still happens
Thalice
Dogsey Senior
Female 

25-09-2014, 12:40 PM
I have nothing against first crosses per se. This has been done for centuries to obtain the best of both breeds to do a specific job. However the only reason to do these poodle crosses is TO MAKE MONEY. You cannot guarantee that the progeny will not shed, but you can give it a fancy name and ask for ridiculous prices.
No pedigree dog breeder who is worth his/her salt will allow any of their dogs to be crossed with another breed after all those years of research & health tests and removing unsuitable stock from the gene pool to improve the breed. So no quality dogs will be used for crosses. And what about health tests ? - These cost money and are unlikely to have been done. Poodles do suffer from a range of genetic diseases. Just because it is crossed with some other poor quality example of another breed with other genetic problems doesnt mean the resulting puppies wont have problems. I just despair ! These are not new breeds with no health problems they are money making projects with the potential for horrendous health problems.
I breed pedigree dogs. My last litter was 4 years ago. I know where all my 'puppies' are from over the years. I do more health tests than are required by the Kennel Club and I do extensive research when investigating a potential sire. The only time I have bred a litter was when I was in a position to keep one to further my lines. I have never made money on a litter.
You cannot guarantee that any puppy will be without health problems no matter what the breeding but you can make all efforts to reduce the chances rather than be reckless and make assumptions.
Please think hard before you pick a puppy.

Thalice's Mum
gordon mac
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

25-09-2014, 12:43 PM
Quite right Griff - the Lurcher section of preloved always seems to hold several poor creatures that people wish to dump on someone else for reasons good/bad/indifferent. By the way Tumbleweed, although technically correct (according to OED) you aren,t going to make many friends in the lurcher community by calling those particular cross-breeds mongrels.
Vicky88
Almost a Veteran
Female 

25-09-2014, 01:17 PM
Originally Posted by Nippy View Post
My neighbour has just paid £300 for a 2 year old JRT x Chihuahua
It is a little darling, but......
£250 for Ted, he was coming up to 11 months when we got him. He is a pure bred Shih Tzu and is kc registered.
Same price for Holly, pure bred Border Collie got her when she was 7 weeks old, health tested parents.
What gets me is these 'breeders' who sell these designer breeds at a stupid price, but no health test have been done at all. And some of the names are stupid, I mean jug, really!, worse one I have heard!.
I must admit though that I am not a Poodle fan but some of the crosses are cute!.
LMost
Dogsey Senior
Male 

25-09-2014, 02:18 PM
Ok guess as I've been call a elitist jerk a few hundred times over the years, because I don't rescue, and always get my pups from breeders.
I'll give my issues with the whole designer dog crap.
The crossbreeds a.k.a mutts, many times are not what is expected, so what happends then?
Oh ya they end up in a shelter or some pet shop, or put down? You can't even get a rough guess from the internet. 3-4 million cats and dogs are euthanized each year, so if only half are dogs that 1.5 to 2 million dogs. It's guessed that 10 to 15% of these are the frankensteins created from "Designer Breeding". So your looking at 150,000 to 300,000 killed a year (US alone).

Generally From poorly bred but registered parents, that where not health tested.
So they breed these 2 poorly bred dogs in hopes of making 2 to 5 times more off each pup as they paid for the parents.
Congratz you have a mutt you overpaid for, that you think is cute, that you sneeze less around.
Sorry I'll stick to my pure bred dogs with health tested parents.
If you wish to rescue, great and think you will save a ton of cash.
Azz
Administrator
Male 

25-09-2014, 06:06 PM
Originally Posted by tumbleweed View Post
Azz no matter how you dress it up crossbred dogs are mongrels under a different title
I am not dressing it up...

Crossbreeds are dogs where each parents is of a different breed, hence the word cross-breed.

Mongrels are where the parents are not of any particular breed or are a mix themselves.
tumbleweed
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

25-09-2014, 06:08 PM
Lurchers are slightly different as they are known as such and accepted generally to be a mixture for a specific purpose ie hunting, not "these so called money making designer dogs"

We boarded many lurchers at the kennels and more friendly dogs you could not wish to meet , but the variety and type varied tremendously.

Azz
take it to the next generation where each parent is what you call a crossbreed, that then makes a mixture of 4 different breeds and you still want to call them crossbreeds?

I would call them mongrels
Azz
Administrator
Male 

25-09-2014, 07:30 PM
Originally Posted by tumbleweed View Post
Azz
take it to the next generation where each parent is what you call a crossbreed, that then makes a mixture of 4 different breeds and you still want to call them crossbreeds?
Then they would no longer be crossbreeds
malwhit
Dogsey Junior
Male 

25-09-2014, 08:42 PM
My Labradoodles are two of the best dogs I have ever owned - calm, obedient, healthy and good tempered. What more could you want in a dog?

I think people need to as themselves why poodles are being crossed with other breeds - I now in my case I have got what I wanted, a poodle temperament and an easier to care for coat. I am sure the costs of grooming a Standard Poodle every 6-8 weeks puts many people off getting one.

If somebody wants to pay a silly price for their dog (and I didn't) then that is their choice. Some of the prices you see for Bulldogs and French Bulldogs to me are extortionate but somebody must be buying them.

At the end of the day, whatever you pay they are still dogs, pedigree, mongrel or crossbreed and the pleasure they give their owners is priceless
Jessiesdad
Dogsey Junior
Male 

26-09-2014, 03:27 PM
I have two lurchers, different mixes, both beautiful, but at the end of the day they're mongrels.
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2