Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
tumbleweed
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

24-09-2014, 09:51 PM

Labradoodle????

Why is it the "in " thing to think these mongrels are something special? they are crossbreeds by accident originally and yet many pay top money for these mutts.

Absolutely stupid
Azz
Administrator
Male 

24-09-2014, 09:54 PM
They are not 'mongrels' they are crossbreeds

Each to their own - there are pros and cons for everything. Closely bred dogs vs genetic diversity, being fairly sure of what you might get (in terms of looks and personality) vs taking a chance, etc.
Tommyboy
Dogsey Junior
Female 

24-09-2014, 10:56 PM
We have a pedigree basset, but we also have a cross breed. Tommy is a cocker/lab cross. I agree that they should not be hyped as designer dogs with designer prices, but they can still be wonderful dogs. I love both my boys! We paid the kind of price for Tommy as we did our rescue dog. Both my boys came with health problems, which have been sorted now, so buying a pedigree is by no means the safest option. There have been times where I have felt that I have to apologise and justify bringing Tommy into our home, because some people don't think he is a 'proper' dog. Tommy needed a new home and security and he has that now and I am so glad we got him.
Oldgal
Dogsey Junior
Female 

24-09-2014, 11:49 PM
Someone I know of not far from here sells her first cross Doodles for nearly £1,000. I admit like some of the Poodle crosses, but would never pay that much for one, even if I could afford it.
Some people still think crossbreds have got to be healthier than purebreds, but I really wish these folks would have the sense to do their homework first.
FluffHippo
Dogsey Junior
Female 

25-09-2014, 07:25 AM
I have a jackapoo but to be honest as far as I'm concerned he's a mental mongrel that beats up malamutes.
Nippy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-09-2014, 07:58 AM
My neighbour has just paid £300 for a 2 year old JRT x Chihuahua
It is a little darling, but......
Imana-Banana
Dogsey Senior
Female 

25-09-2014, 08:20 AM
The original Labradoodle wasn't an accident, they where bred to try and fit a need. The problem was once the idea got out there every body and his dog (excuse the pun) decided to breed them to make money from an allegedly "non shedding, non allergy" dog.
griff
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-09-2014, 08:31 AM
all these breeds you just slap a daft name on it and people will pay stupid amounts of cash, not so long ago these would have been litters advertised free to good home
FluffHippo
Dogsey Junior
Female 

25-09-2014, 09:05 AM
I don't think I've seen a free to good home advert in about 20yrs!
I paid £350 for my mutt and even though he is cross poodle he sheds his fur all the time and when I first got him I was really allergic to him but thankfully my body adapted and its all good now.
tumbleweed
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

25-09-2014, 09:58 AM
Azz no matter how you dress it up crossbred dogs are mongrels under a different title
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >