View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
stefanei4l
New Member!
Male 

22-09-2014, 02:06 AM

Help! My pup mongo is abusive and gets bored easy.

So I have a rescue pup he is a lab chow mix , just over two years old. He is absolutely great. Loves being around kids and other people. I found him at 5 months (vet estimated) since then he has been my man. Going hiking, road trips, fishing. We spend a lot of time together. The thing I want to help him with is playing. If I want to get down on a all out battle with him he is always ready. I push him once and it's on. Bites, jumps, scratches, and everything else painful. But we both enjoy it. But sometimes I just want to throw a ball or if I have to leave give him something to occupy his mind. I've tried a lot of things, balls , bones, dog puzzles. He just doesn't enjoy them, or I'm not giving them the right approach, I'm not sure. He lays down and gets mopey. But as soon as I engage another 30 minute battle he is all in. If anyone has any ideas I would love to hear them. I can't always be wrestling him but still want him to have fun. We have another dog as well who he plays with occasionaly.
jCrisp
New Member!
Male 

22-09-2014, 07:27 AM
Hi there stef,

How often do you walk Mongo? I think you guys needs a walk everyday, morning and evening. Sometimes dogs needs to have different activities.
stefanei4l
New Member!
Male 

22-09-2014, 07:52 AM
Thank you very much for the response .We have gone on a walk every evening(2-4 miles) besides the select few were I am not available to, for the past year. Being at work or a night out. In the mornings our routine is a big grass park were he gets to run free if he chooses to. But he would rather just get in a wrestling match. Don't get me wrong I love to wrestle with him, just wish I could get him interested in some toys to take his mind off me not being there all the time, or interested in playing a different game. I understand not all dogs enjoy toys as much as others, just makes me sad to see him mopey.
Malka
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

22-09-2014, 09:17 AM
Hello Stefan and welcome to Dogsey from Pereg and me.

I do not understand why you say Mongo is abusive though, especially as you are the one who initiates the "battle" with him.

In what way is he actually abusive?
Dobermonkey
Almost a Veteran
Female 

22-09-2014, 11:26 AM
why play with a stooopid toy when he can play like he loves to with you? You are his best mate why hang out with anyone/anything else?

My boy loves a good wrestle predominantly with me (he will often come and lean his head up against my bum when im doing the dishes (aka ignoring him) and he will make silly noises and poke me with his nose in an attempt to get a reaction i ignore him he will then nip my butt (like the miNUTEst nip) que me 'shouting' thats it your gonna get it! and chasing him round the livingroom much to his delight

what were chows bred for out of interest?