View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Meg
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

04-09-2014, 04:44 PM
So - when were you ready to get a dog after your dog died?
I have lost many dogs over the years and although I am quite happy if I never see a human for days I can't be without a dog
So for me it is as soon as possible.
LMost
Dogsey Senior
Male 

05-09-2014, 10:15 AM
Don't know there really is a correct time.

Always seems like they find me. Prior to Mouse was about 2 year period without. Had looked at different litters and breeders quite a few times in that period.

Talked with the better half and decided we would get a new mastiff puppy after move. Poof 3 months prior to move stopped by a breeder just to check out his dogs, just so happened he had just had a litter, saw there put down a deposit on Mouse that day, and picked him up 4 weeks later. And 2 months prior to move had a new puppy, exactly when the last thing I needed was a puppy in the middle of packing for a move.

Yep love him and would do it again in a heartbeat.
Fourlegz
Almost a Veteran
Female 

05-09-2014, 02:25 PM
Originally Posted by Meg View Post
I have lost many dogs over the years and although I am quite happy if I never see a human for days I can't be without a dog
So for me it is as soon as possible.
Couldn't have put it better myself Meg.
Tommyboy
Dogsey Junior
Female 

05-09-2014, 07:08 PM
We lost our beloved Piper in July this year. I just couldn't bear the house without her. She was just such a perfect fit for me. We got Tommy 4 weeks ago and although I will never forget Piper, he has melted my heart. Somehow the house feels right again.
PalomaTaco
New Member!
Female 

17-09-2014, 07:04 AM
After we had to put down our beautiful Doberwoman (aged 10), we were devastated and did not plan to get another dog. About a month later, a friend visited with his new puppy and said that there were more puppies available. Hubby and I looked at each other and he and friend flew out of the door and returned with our new baby, a black Lab/Shepherd, Behr. Behr is 7 now and we love him dearly.
squeakzzz
Dogsey Junior
Female 

18-09-2014, 01:49 AM
After my best friend died, it took me a good 8 years to finally get another dog. I think because it traumatized me so much having him die in my arms. I had him since the day he was born. My husband was the one who actually brought me home a new puppy on christmas eve. He came in and had this big ole grin. I asked him what did he do and he reached into his coat, pulled out this beautiful puppy and placed her in my arms.
Vicky88
Almost a Veteran
Female 

18-09-2014, 07:28 PM
I have only lost one dog, and when I did I still had Holly. If I hadn't of had Holly I would of got another near enough straight away. As it was I waited nearly 3 years before I went back up to 2 dogs again.
Moobli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-09-2014, 08:13 PM
I couldn't live without a dog in my life for very long. I have waited as long as a year (although already had other dogs) and as short as a couple of weeks when my only dog died. Everyone is different, but you should never feel guilty about getting a new dog, as you are not replacing the old but, as has already been said, honoring the memory of your old dog by welcoming another in your heart and life.
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2