Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
mjfromga
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-08-2014, 04:12 AM
Originally Posted by lovemybull View Post
The thing I'm jealous of is that people around here take "portable" dogs everywhere. The supermarket even, virtually everywhere someone will have a small dog.
Sophie would be happy as a lark if I could put her in a front carrier and take her with me. Seventy pounds strapped to my chest or in a carry bag...nope can't do it.
Everywhere Nigredo is allowed that I go, he goes. He loves car rides, and he is quiet as a mouse, never makes a sound. Dogs are banned from most places here, so big or small... there are not many places that welcome them here.

No public transportation, no public indoor facilities such as shopping malls etc., certainly no restaurants, and unless they are built FOR dogs, nearly no places allow dogs.
lovemybull
Dogsey Senior
Female 

21-08-2014, 04:56 PM
Isn't that interesting? We lived in a small town in PA and it used to be like that. Like I said here it's totally different. The store I work in is big and busy around the clock and people bring dogs in carts and dogs on leash as well.

As long as there's no fighting or biting they are all welcome. It also keeps people from leaving dogs in cars, something way frowned on. The police will open cars and take dogs if you leave them in the parking lot. I've paged customers by license plate to tell them that.
Bobble
Dogsey Senior
Female 

25-08-2014, 02:17 PM
I love all dogs and there are advantages of both small and large. I'd never turn a needy dog away on account of size or lack thereof!
HollyG1
Dogsey Senior
Female 

26-08-2014, 03:29 PM
Definitely large dogs!!
My last dog was 18kg and 16 inches as the shoulder and I thought she was on the small side. New dog is currently about 20kg (not weighed yet) and 22.5inches and think she's perfect.

Needless to say I wouldn't turn down a small dog if it needed a home.

Best thing with large dogs is training is easier I.e. treat to nose. And if they're walking well you can give them a fuss as you're walking along

I was half looking at getting a sheltie as they're the only small dogs I really like but my fave breeds are greyhounds, Newfies and Bernese mountain dogs and there is a greyhound rescue near me so went there and walked out with a saluki haha
Jcarpentier
Dogsey Junior
Female 

01-09-2014, 10:06 PM
I prefer large dogs. Currently my boy is about 55 pounds or so but he is the perfect size for our small house. I would absolutely love a bigger dog but have to be realistic with the amount of space we have. Also, like a lot of people have already said, I could not turn away a small dog if it needed a home.
gordon mac
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

01-09-2014, 11:22 PM
Big dogs (deerhound type lurchers) have always been my favourite, I have 2 at the moment, but I also have a little fell terrier bitch only a foot high. She has really won my heart, she is courageous beyond belief yet to look at has the face of a little angel, all black curls and shiny boot button eyes. Whereas the lurchers are happy to leave me alone to do my own thing and will cheerfully go back to the kitchen to sleep all day on their duvets, she never leaves my side (providing there is nothing furry to terrorise) she is currently coming up to 14 months old and is an absolute joy, even sleeping right next to my side of the bed. So there you have it. Love Big 'uns an Little 'uns too.
manydogz
Dogsey Senior
Female 

03-09-2014, 04:04 AM
I've had everything from huge, oversized mastiffs to a 2 1/2 pound Chihuahua. I love them all. Currently I have a 55lb. lab/basset hound mix and 6 Chihuahua's. I don't have a size preference. I go entirely by personality. And if a dog comes along that needs me I'll take it no matter what.
Tommyboy
Dogsey Junior
Female 

03-09-2014, 02:03 PM
My basset weighs about 65lbs and its all muscle! I find him quite difficult to walk, because he is a puller, nose down and off! I love him to bits and he is so comical, but my preference has always been lab mixes. We have got this with Tommy our recent addition, he is 13 weeks old and currently weighs 17lbs. We got him when we lost my beloved Piper, a collie/lab cross and we have clicked. My husband prefers a 'proper dog', like our basset, so it's kind of a his dog, my dog situation in our house. I love them both in different ways and wouldn't be without them.
Strangechilde
Dogsey Senior
Female 

03-09-2014, 11:18 PM
I am a big dog person. I like having a proper lean and a good, whole-hand snoot rub. I like big faces and big feet. I like a spine I can curl around at night. That said, we both adore our tiny dog beyond measure. I suppose that at 17 kilos of solid muscle she isn't that tiny, but she seems quite little to me. I'm not fussed about the 'tough-looking' aspect, though I do admit that I have benefited in the past from being surrounded by three good-sized animals, and I know Akitas have That Reputation.

I do like small dogs too, and several individual small dogs (one tiny miniature Yorkie who would easily have fit in Laszlo's mouth, and who was a dear friend of his, springs to mind in particular). I do have some issues with some small dog people, though... there seems to be this weird idea that if a dog is small, aw, they don't really need training, poor widdle things... but they do need protecting from all those bad old big dogs. I'm sure you'll all recognise the type: they scoop up their dogs and give you the evil-laser-nail-gun look for daring to exist on the same physical plane with your Lab-sized mutt. I love people who treat their little dogs like dogs. I recently met someone out on a walk that wasn't our usual one-- they were out with their Chihuahua puppy. I was expecting the old scoop-up-and-scowl routine but no, she was all "Go on, say hi!" Puppy did, tails were wagged, all was good. That's the best.
lovemybull
Dogsey Senior
Female 

04-09-2014, 12:09 AM
Funny, I remember walking in the park one day and it was perfect weather. All the little pups were out, some people had two or three out together. There was a gentleman relaxing on a bench and as me and Callie passed he smiled and said " Finally somebody with a real dog!"
Considering the people who tend to see Callie in an unkind way, it was refreshing...
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >