Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
lovemybull
Dogsey Senior
Female 

20-08-2014, 02:31 AM

Small Dogs? Big Dogs? Both? Why?

Interesting question...which do you prefer smaller dogs or large ones? Some of us got our dogs by chance, but usually we have a preference one way or another.

I prefer to own larger dogs, although I love Westies and corgis. We live in an iffy area and I feel safe walking with a serious looking dog (even though I know they're marshmallows inside).

The other thing I like about big dogs is that you can give them an adult sized hug. There's something really comforting too about having a sleepy body next to you that's almost your length snuggled close.

It might be because we have cats as well. They get carried about and sit on our laps. The dogs walk on their own but are happy to share bed space with the cats. I love the big guys but if someone left a basket of chi pups on my porch I'd fall in love again
kaydaraider
Dogsey Junior
Female 

20-08-2014, 03:10 AM
My family growing up always had bigger dogs so I might be biased but I prefer medium to big dogs! Really large dogs can be difficult to own, but I like a dog that I can rough around with, and that wants to go on long runs with me, and that overall (in my opinion) just looks tougher. A lot of friends have small dogs that I love, and are adorable, but I prefer the ones that look majestic.

Also, and I know this doesn't apply to all small dogs, I couldn't stand to live with the constant high pitched yaps. Hopefully a dog is trained not to bark all the time either way, but if it did I would definitely prefer to hear the lower bark.
LMost
Dogsey Senior
Male 

20-08-2014, 03:18 AM
Very large dog person.
Mastiff person, so anything under 150lbs I consider a small dog.

Just always leaned toward dog without the high energy levels. My current and past have always been 2 30 min walks a day Monday thru Friday and 3 45 min walks Saturday and Sunday.

There natural guardians generally, and with some work the wife will be able to walk Mouse even when he is 200+.

As long as you put in the work, there pretty easy to train.

I'm a large person and I always worry about stepping on or accidently hurting a small dog.
Fourlegz
Almost a Veteran
Female 

20-08-2014, 09:21 AM
I love a largish dog and have only owned one smaller one - a Cavalier. He was a lovely little thing but a bit dense and ways thinking 'bout his belly!

Agree with the 'hug' you get & receive from a bigger dog even though space on the bed can get tight at times !!

Little dogs quite often seem to have something to prove when they encounter big dogs as has been discussed recently and it never fails to bemuse me.
chlosmum
Almost a Veteran
Female 

20-08-2014, 10:33 AM
I've got a medium sized dog and a slightly smaller dog, both of which I'm happy with. My Shar-Pei girl is 18 inches tall and weighs 38 pounds, and my little black devil, a Miniature Schnauzer boy is 13 inches tall and weighs 19 pounds. I'd never go back to owning any dog larger or smaller than my two who are absolutely perfect for me.
Fourlegz
Almost a Veteran
Female 

20-08-2014, 11:56 AM
It would be a very boring world if we all liked the same things.
Timber-
Almost a Veteran
Female 

20-08-2014, 01:29 PM
Large to giant dogs all the way. From my personal experiences, I find large dogs are easier to care for.
mjfromga
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-08-2014, 04:18 PM
I like medium-large dogs. I hate to say this, but my beloved Nigredo, who is just such a wonderful and special boy, and who I'd never trade for anything... is WAY too big for my preferences! At over 85 lbs, he's just massive.

Kids are often scared of him (he's black), people always act skittish around him, I always get comments of "WHOO, that's a BIG dog!" And he's not overly TALL, he's just built VERY thickly and his feet are big and he's a solid looking dog. He eats a ton, everything costs more, he's goofy, he's hairy, he's slobbery.

When I got him at the shelter, I was told he'd be about 60 lbs, the size of my last dog, had they told me he'd get above 80 lbs... I might have picked another puppy. Ongoing costs really build up, I must say.

MOST people here have pit bull sized dogs, around 50 lbs or so, like my Jadey... so he is a rarity. I take him into places where dogs are allowed, too where you only see smaller dogs and everyone is scared to come around us or gives us funny looks.

Thing is, he is the best behaved dog I've ever owned (or really even ever seen). He doesn't make a sound, he is gentle and loving, and he's such a joy to be around and when people bother to get to know him, they LOVE him and I always think to myself "Don't judge a book by it's cover".
BlueJay
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-08-2014, 09:04 PM
BOTH!

Ripley is my smallest a 7.5kg (ideally... a bit tubby at the mo). Realistically, I dont think I'd go for a dog much smaller than her. She's solid and sturdy enough to give proper cuddles too lol. With toy breeds, I think I'd be constantly worried about getting harmed in any situation!
They are easy to transport, cheaper to feed, collars etc are smaller so cheaper too, less poo to pick up, most places seem more welcoming to smaller dogs and they can share the bed without squishing you

If push came to shove though... I think I'd pick a big dog. No idea why, just love 'em lol!
I'd always for for tall over bulk though - slinky dogs are just gorgeous for starters, but you get the big size without the massive food bill, crippling tackles and potentially fewer joint issues too
Borzoi > mastiff, for example!
lovemybull
Dogsey Senior
Female 

21-08-2014, 01:29 AM
The thing I'm jealous of is that people around here take "portable" dogs everywhere. The supermarket even, virtually everywhere someone will have a small dog.
Sophie would be happy as a lark if I could put her in a front carrier and take her with me. Seventy pounds strapped to my chest or in a carry bag...nope can't do it.
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >