View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Florence
Almost a Veteran
Female 

21-07-2014, 10:56 AM

How much do you accept your dog/s being protective of you?

I'm wondering about this because I don't actually know what the law would say about it, so if anyone knows for sure, I'd be happy to be told!

Ella is quite protective of me. To me, this seems a good thing because it means if I'm out with her, I feel really safe.
But how much is acceptable? I was walking down a short path from a field onto the main road in the half dark the other day. I'd cut the walk short because she seemed a bit agitated (it was the evening before the thunderstorm, that probably had an effect). As I was walking down the path, a guy jumped out from behind a hedge on the main road, laughing and shouting something at someone in the pub across the road. He then ran up the path past us, and Ella was really startled, barking and lunging at him.
She's done this before, when a friend of mine (very stupidly, and even though I told him firmly not to) pretended to 'attack' me to wind Ella up. She barked and jumped up, clacking her teeth just in front of his face. I told him it was his own fault and if she had wanted to bite him, she would have but only gave him a warning instead.
Obviously she's always on a lead whenever I walk through busy areas, and when I can't see ahead, so I always have her under control. But it makes me think that if someone was to attack me, she would defend me.
Would I be in the wrong if she bit someone who attacks me? Would she then be classed as a dangerous dog? Or does that count as self defence by myself?
How much do you think it's acceptable for dogs to be protective? Ella is obviously very sensitive and overreacts easily, hence why I'm trying to keep her arousal level low. She's also never bitten a human and never been in a serious dog fight.. I'm just wondering what other people's opinions are on this issue..?
mjfromga
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-07-2014, 11:32 AM
Would I be in the wrong if she bit someone who attacks me? Would she then be classed as a dangerous dog?
Here, as long as your dog bites someone when you're not on your own private, gated/fenced (and properly marked with a BEWARE OF DOG sign) you are liable for all damages and the bite is your fault. They won't put your dog down unless it's a pit bull or has mauled or maimed someone, though. Rarely do dogs here get put down for their first... or even subsequent non severe bites.

I like protectiveness, but at the same time.. I don't want legal trouble or people out to get me, such as poison my dog etc. which is more of a threat than the court ordering I put the dog down.

As for my home, I know that Jade would badly bite anybody who comes in here on her watch and all she would get from me is a "GOOD GIRL!!" and plenty of treats. Jade has also never bitten anyone and never been in a serious fight.

I'd be happy if my dog attacked someone I was struggling with, but it does not mean I'd not be liable for legal damages to the person. But I'm a big person and always carry something to defend myself with. I also often muzzle Jade when I know many people will be about, but not if it's night or we're secluded.

At the end of the day, I think that dogs who don't trust everyone are usually good... for not everyone is to be trusted, but you have to exercise good judgment. As your Ella is a Staffy, it would look BAD and get twisted out of proportion (people tend to take the side of anybody saying a bull breed is dangerous) if she were to bite someone, especially badly.

Jade is the same way, as a black and brown GSD type looking dog, I'd already be on the wrong side of defending myself because she "looks" dangerous because of her breed. I think in cases like this, it's best to prevent any bites at all.
lovemybull
Dogsey Senior
Female 

21-07-2014, 11:22 PM
Laws are different in the US. If Callie attacked someone in my defense anywhere who I perceived as a threat to my well-being...he is innocent. If he attacks someone climbing over our fence...private property and he is innocent. We don't want to encourage our dogs to be hostile to strangers but they can be a G-d send if you feel threatened for real. Callie makes me feel safer than anyone else ever could.
mjfromga
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-07-2014, 12:29 AM
In GA under the one bite rule... Jade would be at fault for any bites because I know she has a nasty side to her (she has snapped at kids and other dogs before, but never bitten) and didn't take proper caution to prevent bites.

A quick temperament test would conclude that there is no way I'd have been able to not know she could be dangerous. Anybody who cornered her would get snapped at or viciously barked at.

Nigredo would not be at fault because he's never displayed any aggression in his life. They'd let me off with a warning and classify my dog as dangerous or potentially dangerous for future problems.
lovemybull
Dogsey Senior
Female 

23-07-2014, 02:43 AM
We live tri-state, NY, NJ CT and I guess around here there are so many dogs they tend to side more with owners and dogs unless an attack is unprovoked.
mjfromga
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-07-2014, 06:39 AM
Originally Posted by lovemybull View Post
We live tri-state, NY, NJ CT and I guess around here there are so many dogs they tend to side more with owners and dogs unless an attack is unprovoked.
Ah, yes. Well they often side with owners here, too... those are simply the laws. But I can say this, they don't really play around if it's a pit bull. They'll put him down without really stopping to ask questions. They are a big problem here because most people who own them don't train them at all or teach them to fight and be aggressive.

If my Lab mix bit someone... I'd get a slap on the wrist and be told to "work harder next time" or something, if it was Jade, I'd be given a fine and an ordinance of muzzles in public etc., but if it was a pit bull, I'd probably have to agree to have him put down.
Florence
Almost a Veteran
Female 

23-07-2014, 10:44 AM
Thanks for your replies. However, I live in the UK so it would be good to hear if anyone knows of the situation over here.

Of course the devil would be painted on the wall if my dog bit someone protecting me, because she's a staffie.
On the other hand, I've heard of stories where staffies have saved their owners lives and gone unpunished: a woman was walking her staffie in the forest when she got attacked by a man who'd previously raped women, he hit her over the head from behind with a piece of wood. Her staffie attacked him and she managed to run away and hide. That dog was proclaimed a hero, but I also think he didn't inflict massive wounds.
mjfromga
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-07-2014, 10:50 AM
Well, Florence... and this is no offense at all but I find most people on this site have dogs that have their CGC certs and are well rounded and well adjusted dogs in all areas. And can stand still and not defend their owner while a strange man gets very close etc.

I'm NOT saying your little Ella is not a well adjusted dog (she seems to be to me, I've seen her in the pet store etc.), just that I don't think most people here have dogs that would actively protect them so they may not be able to weigh in as well. This is just my assumption, and I could be wrong.

I think if the bites aren't that bad and the dog is defending their owners... you'll probably be let off with a warning.
Florence
Almost a Veteran
Female 

23-07-2014, 11:11 AM
Actually, Ella isn't so well adjusted, really. She's easily stressed and over-aroused. I rarely take her into the shop because she'd bark at customers who come in and if they bring their dogs, it would get too much for her.
She's happy meeting strangers though, anyone is her friend really. As long as they don't behave in a threatening way. It also depends on my body language, if I go to greet someone she's not met, she'll be happy to greet them like she's known them for years. If it's someone I don't know running towards me in the dark, well understandably she doesn't like that.
LMost
Dogsey Senior
Male 

26-07-2014, 03:12 PM
I would check the new uk laws, there pretty extreme.

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk...n-9392507.html

https://www.nawt.org.uk/advice/chang...-advice-owners

Also with many Guardian Breeds a CGC does not mean they will just sit there if your attacked.
You really need to learn the dogs body language, to get a better read on them.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >