View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
kimw30
New Member!
Female 

16-01-2013, 12:39 AM

Problem with sutures, vomiting and diarrhea (update @ post 11) .

Hey I have a rat terrier dog who is 4 years old and her name is Prissy and she will not eat. The vet says she has pancreatic insufficiency and inflammatory bowel disease and she also has a abscess on her incision where she had her spaying surgery, she already had it drained several times and again yesterday, he said if it didnt get better he was going to do surgery, he said he wasnt sure if this was what was causing her not to eat or if she has something else wrong with her, the vet said if she didnt get better he was going to do exploratory surgery. Sometimes she will act like she wants to eat food I am eating but then she will throw it up, but now she just gags and spits everything out. The vet said not to give her any people food, he said to put her food in her bowl and give her 30 minutes to eat and then take the bowl up, he said maybe she will get hungary. She worries me so much because she will not eat and she just lays down all day. Any suggestions on what I can do to get her to eat.
Dobermonkey
Almost a Veteran
Female 

16-01-2013, 09:19 AM
how long has this been going on for?

Has he checked for obstructions?

Is she on antibiotics for the abscess? that might make her feel sicky?
Azz
Administrator
Male 

16-01-2013, 02:42 PM
Carb intake results in an insulin rush so a species appropriate diet could help there.

Take a look at our guide on dog food:

Dog Food

Sometimes surgery is required to remove an abscess, and they can return if the dog is not fit and healthy, so I can't stress a good diet enough - it is often the key to such ailments.
kimw30
New Member!
Female 

16-01-2013, 06:19 PM
Originally Posted by Dobermonkey View Post
how long has this been going on for?

Has he checked for obstructions?

Is she on antibiotics for the abscess? that might make her feel sicky?
This has been going on since august off and on. Yea she has had xrays and barium study, she gets blockages in her intestines often. She has had 4 since august, I took her yesterday and he did a xray and gave her a enema and suppose to go back tomorrow for another xray to make sure everything cleared, He isnt sure why she keeps getting these blockages, he is talking about maybe doing surgery, but got to get her build up before we can do it, trying to get her to eat. She been getting antibiotic shots.
kimw30
New Member!
Female 

22-01-2013, 01:24 AM
I have a dog who is 4 years old and her name is Prissy and she was spayed in september and she been having alot of problems since then, she been vomiting and wont hardly eat and been running fever, which she has done this before because she has inflammatory bowel and pancreatic insufficiency, so the vet said maybe that was causing ehr problems, but she kept getting a abscess on her incision and the vet kept draining it but it wouldnt get better, but friday she started running a high fever and her stomach got really hot and red, so I called her vet and he said to just wait and see if it got better, but I didnt think it needed to wait any longer so I carried her to another vet and he said what happened was the sutures under her skin that was suppose to dissolve didnt and it caused her to get a infection, so he had to drain the place and dig out the sutures. The vet I been carrying her too and the one that did the spaying didnt tell me that the sutures didnt dissolve, he just been draining the abscess. Anybody ever had this to happen to there dog, that the sutures didnt dissolve. I just dont understand why this happens.
Fivedogpam
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-01-2013, 07:55 AM
In my experience (here in the UK) the vets use the type of stitches that have to be removed. I assume this is partly so that they can check up that the wound is healing well. I would expect to be given a follow-up appointment in about ten days. Did you not take Prissy back for her check up?
Velvetboxers
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-01-2013, 09:34 PM
Dissolveable stitches are often used when spaying feral cats. Our last female kitten we got done had them - rescue told us to ask them them as it made for quicker recovery & no collar was meeded

Our vet insisted on the collar for 14 days, the stitvhes did not dissolve after two weeks. However by the end of the day on 15th day when the collar came off, there was not a stitch in sight, the kitten had renoved them herself! This was despite our watching her. Cats are resourceful creatures. However they were outside stitches

If i were you i would ring you first vet & explain what happened & ask for an explanation. Just be matter of fact but very firm & explain going to another vet was upsetting & stressful & costly. Just hold your ground without getting angry & see what they say. I had to complain recently & this is how i handled the situation
Jenny
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-01-2013, 11:30 PM
What a worry for you and your poor little dog must have been in a lot of discomfort. Just as well you had the foresight to take her to a different vet.

I don't know about dissolvable stitches in dogs, but I had some that had to be removed weeks and weeks after having them, so I presume it can happen in a dog as well.

I hope she recovers quickly.
Bitkin
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-01-2013, 11:38 PM
Poor you and your dog, and thank goodness you decided to go to another vet because clearly the first one was not getting to the bottom of things.

I have not heard of these sutures causing problems, but can quite see how they could.

I really hope that the new vet sorts it all out for you, and that you can get some recompense from the original one - he/she will probably never admit to being wrong though.

Good luck
kimw30
New Member!
Female 

23-01-2013, 12:02 AM
Thanks everyone, I talked to the new vet today and he said the vet that did the spaying put in the wrong sutures, he put in ones that wasnt dissolvable instead of the ones that were dissolvable. I dont know if I should call the old vet or not, he probably will say that isnt true.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >