Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Jenn~n~Luke
Dogsey Senior
Female 

01-06-2011, 06:29 PM

Understanding Your Dog's Limitations

I felt much better once I realised that Cherry was never going to be the agility competition dog I wanted her to be because of her temperament and the fact that I would never be able to relax with her being off-lead and other dogs around. Yes it was a shame as she was so good at agility and I loved watching her jump as she was so graceful and accurate with the equipment but it wasn't to be.

I have had to accept that Cherry is on a lead most of the time but she can mix with some other dogs and be "normal" a lot of the time so that is progress.

I am also blessed with having Parker who is very sociable and friendly.
In keeping with the theme of this comment and the one I had made, I thought I'd start a new thread and share what I had posted in my dane group on the subject of accepting our dogs for who they are as indivduals. Hopefully it will help someone out there who is struggling with their own dog.

~~~~~~~~~~~~
This is something I've thought of often, and have had my share of debates with other dog owners and members in other forums I've belonged to. It's something I feel passionately about.
Basically, what I'm talking about...is when the line between the competetive nature of the human, and what's best for the dog, is blurred.
No matter what breed of dog we have...no matter what the "typical" temperments, learning abilities and working abilities for that breed may be...I think it's important for us to always see our dog as an individual at the core. To realize, that while he or she may be a member of what is considered a super smart, highly trainable breed...he/she may not have the exact same qualities or capablilities as the rest.
I find some dog owners get incredibly frustrated when they find out they have a dog that doesn't seem as smart, or as capable as they had hoped...or as they'd counted on when picking that particular dog. Or they are somehow discontent and dissapointed when their dog, doesn't learn at the same rate as, or know as much as the dog next door. Then it becomes almost a matter of personal pride or lack thereof in the HUMAN'S abilitiy to train the dog. That frustration, can lead to pushing your dog beyond their limitations. Not giving as much time as he or she may need in order to "get it". Not accepting, that maybe, just maybe he will never quite "get it" at all. And being perfectly fine with that fact.
We all can be guilty of this from time to time, to varying degrees...even unintentionally. We might come across a youtube video of a dane that can do a dozen or more tricks at five months old. Or perhaps we've watched the dancing danes, agility danes, obedience danes...and wanted OUR danes to be just like the ones we see. And we may try...we might decide, "hey! That looks like fun..I want to teach Fido that". The important thing to always keep in mind, is that your dane, might not take to that activity or learn as quickly or as easily. And that we CANNOT take it personally....we cannot see it as a competition for US as people, and let that state of mind be taken out on our dog. It's not fair. Just like some kids will be A+ students, while others can only get C's...so it is with our dogs.
Perhaps your dane is more stubborn than your friend's dane. Perhaps he/she might not like to play fetch. Maybe they prefer to have YOU fetch the ball. Maybe they will never be a "dancing dane"...maybe they will. The trick is, to try not to compare your individual dog to any other. And to TRY not to let that dissapointment show, or take it personally, if the activity or trick you want him to know, doesnt quite work out.
We should never let our lives with our danes become a constant game of "who's the better trainer"...the only thing that does is cause you frustration and stress, as well as your dog.
It is fine and a good thing, to challenge yourself as well as your dog. Always try new things...that's what life is about after all. No one wants to stagnate. But always understand what motivates your individual dog...and love them, be proud of them, even if they're not the brightest tool in the shed.
Luke is never going to be like those top notch trained dogs on tv...he will never dance, he will never be the dog who's every movement mirrors what I demand. But you know...I adore him for just who and what he is. For his quirks, his stubborn moments, the ways in which he IS smart, and obedient. I cherish every part of him. I don't ask him for more than he can give. I don't put him in situations that will make him uncomfortable, just so I can feel good about myself, feel l ike that awesome dog trainer. I don't push him beyond his l imits so I can prove to everyone how smart I am. My expectations for him coincide with what I know he is. And because of that...he is a happy, confident boy who never has to hang his head, never feel like hes not good enough, or that he couldn't please me. Because just by being alive...he pleases me more than anyone or anything ever could.

Velvetboxers
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-06-2011, 07:00 PM
Lovely post.

rueben
Dogsey Senior
Female 

01-06-2011, 07:47 PM
What do I expect from my dog! Nothing out of the ordinary really. She has a fairly undemanding life as I don't show or breed or work her.It's more about what she can expect from me. Ruby is well exercised fed and cared for. I think I am moderate in my wants so I am not disappointed in what I get in return. I believe I am fortunate to have a healthy happy balanced dog who accompanies me on my love of the outdoor life.Ruby bonds well with me and is a great pleasure. Don't be unreasonable in your expectations and you will not be disappointed.
k9xxb
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-06-2011, 07:49 PM
A lovely post
Luthien
Dogsey Senior
Female 

01-06-2011, 07:59 PM
Sorry for not reading all your post, my eyes are old, my nose is grey, my hair is old and bent....

I have a dog that has issues with some stuff. I have tried everything I know to help this. It hasn't helped much.

He is what he is. I love him to bits. As I said to OH last night, we focus on what he can't do, but just look at what he can do! He is not DA. He has superb recall. He loves learning. He loves his brother and his cat. He loves snuggles! He is my baby and I loves him
Kerryowner
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-06-2011, 09:37 PM
Parker is quite thick compared to Cherry; we call him "nice but dim"!

One thing he does which is really sweet though is if I get upset and am crying he goes to my husband and keeps touching him with his paw whilst turning his head towards me. We call it the "Lassie complex"
Ben Mcfuzzylugs
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-06-2011, 10:43 PM
Lovely post I agree totaly

Mia was shown to me as a potential agility dog
and she is smarter and faster than Ben
But I doubt that she will ever be in a place where being in a ring surronded by dogs is going to be a safe thing for her

I am restricted to the places where I can let her off lead

I will never stop trying to help her - but when people tell me they would have 'fixed her quicker' or stuff like that I have given up caring
I am trying to help her so she can have a better life

So OK yes she has her flaws (who dosent) but she makes Ben and me happy every day. SHe is cute, affectionate, smart, loves all people especially kids

She dosent need to be anything different for me to think she is an amazing dog
Hevvur
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-06-2011, 10:44 PM
Teagan has a lot of issues with walking and other dogs, walks are very stressful, and have to be carefully planned, and we have limits to what we can do and where we can go (also as she has HD/arthritis and cancer), but do you know what, I wouldn't change her for the world
ClaireandDaisy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-06-2011, 07:50 AM
It took me a while to accept that Shamus, bless him, was `the kid that tripped over his own laces and daydreamed through lessons` of the Gundog world.
But he`s fun and affectionate and friendly and can find a pheasant in the most unlikely places - even though he does keep looking for it ages after he`s seen it fly away.
He is the Clown of the family, and keeps my back warm at night. Who could want more?