View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Sosha
Almost a Veteran
Female 

02-06-2011, 09:14 AM
In all seriousness (teehee) Platz is an easier word to say consistently and pick out of the general mumble. Plus "down" tends to accidently get used a lot for other stuff. Or it does if your dog is spring loaded.

Actually I like it. Going to teach it to the JRT.

Disclaimer: I know nothing
GSD-Sue
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-06-2011, 12:44 PM
I have used platz for down with some of my GSDs because they were used to the command down meaning don't jump up. Have to constantly remind myself with current dogs to say off not get down when I want them off the furniture. I did have one bitch who was trilingual as she picked out words in a converation. She responded to words in a sentence even if you weren't talking to her & after exhausting 10 synonyms both said as a word & spelt for the word walk we resorted to other languages but it didn't stop her for long. She also learnt to respond to the stewards instructions & anticipate commands even though I ensured I didn't use the same word for a command. Fortunately she is the only dog I've owned who was that bright.
one.eyed.dog
Dogsey Senior
Female 

02-06-2011, 12:45 PM
My dog understands English and Gaelic. Only as my ex taught my last dog Gaelic which I picked up and then carried on with my current dog.

My pal uses tennis players names for the commands. Sit is CASH and down is AGGASSI etc etc.
bint
Dogsey Senior
Female 

02-06-2011, 01:19 PM
Originally Posted by Rubster View Post
my dogs know a 2nd language too..

howay man-means come inside/outside
c'mon pet-come here please
Ta - means leave it

Ahhh the joys of the geordie language

Bev x

The Ute that we rescued as a 3yr old came from Sussex and didn't seem to understand our geordie accent. Took him a few weeks to even respond to his name, I thought he was deaf
smokeybear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-06-2011, 01:40 PM
Originally Posted by GSD-Sue View Post
She also learnt to respond to the stewards instructions & anticipate commands even though I ensured I didn't use the same word for a command. Fortunately she is the only dog I've owned who was that bright.

Lots of dogs do this, I just train for it.
Murf
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

02-06-2011, 02:05 PM
Originally Posted by GSD-Sue View Post
I have used platz for down with some of my GSDs because they were used to the command down meaning don't jump up. Have to constantly remind myself with current dogs to say off not get down when I want them off the furniture. I did have one bitch who was trilingual as she picked out words in a converation. She responded to words in a sentence even if you weren't talking to her & after exhausting 10 synonyms both said as a word & spelt for the word walk we resorted to other languages but it didn't stop her for long. She also learnt to respond to the stewards instructions & anticipate commands even though I ensured I didn't use the same word for a command. Fortunately she is the only dog I've owned who was that bright.
Platzz is a bit to much like Catzzz lol
Cassius
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-06-2011, 02:19 PM
My Son did ask why we didn't use different languages for our dogs about 12 months ago. Firstly, I don't speak German, although I don't suppose it would be too hard to learn a few commands if I felt the need. Secondly, I wouldn't do for one dog what I couldn't do for another. Tashi is half Afghan, half Whippet. So which language(s) should I use for her commands?

My Son also suggested using the languages of our families which would be impossible as in my family we have Italian/Neopolitan, Spanish, Arabic, Bengali and in my Son's paternal family there is Jamaican, Trinidadian, Patois, Portuguese. Of course, in both families there is English too so maybe we should just stick to that - makes life a lot easier.

With my dogs, for formal training I use part of their registered KC name rather than their pet name. They seem to concentrate more. For Zane if I call him Zane he takes no notice of training reinforcement. If I call him Ganjak then he concentrates and does really well - maybe because he gets more treats when he behaves and does as he's told too.
smokeybear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-06-2011, 02:36 PM
I have one or two friends who have children/grandchildren and who compete at top level in a couple of disciplines who have a "house" name for their dog ie what everyone calls them, but a "competition" name.

this is in order that the name is not devalued and becomes like "lift music" which dogs then ignore as of course you cannot control how many times a small child calls a dog's name.

Many people have never thought that far ahead and thus why many gundog people in particular, keep their dogs in kennels.

(It has never occurred to them to think outside the box)
GSD-Sue
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-06-2011, 01:21 PM
Originally Posted by Murf View Post
Platzz is a bit to much like Catzzz lol
Ah but in our house cats were look Poo-oo-oosy cats quite a different sound & squirrels are always sqirrelly wirrel.
Tegs_mum
Almost a Veteran
Female 

03-06-2011, 02:37 PM
Originally Posted by TabithaJ View Post
I realise that any "labradoodle" could favour the Lab parent - has anyone else seen one that literally looks just like a young/small Lab??
Yes! I was talking to a woman with a standard labradoodle and (I guessed) a terrier cross, she said she had two labradoodles and I thought she ment she had one at home and asked about the "terrier"! She said was a small lab crossed with a mini poodle, she was very smooth short coated and quite lab in temprament. She was lovely and I'd consider having one if it would be like that!
Page 4 of 4 < 1 2 3 4