View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
cravencraven
Dogsey Senior
Female 

01-06-2011, 02:25 PM
We didn't have any issues last year,this is Craven saying hello to a hedgehog.

We haven't had any in the garden this year yet.
Losos
Fondly Remembered
Male 

01-06-2011, 03:27 PM
Originally Posted by Phil View Post
Anybody else have hedgehog problems ??
Yes Phil, 'tho touch wood this year has been hog free

With ours they usually don't kill them, just bounce them around like a football and so far I've never found any spines in the mouth.

OH makes me put them over the wall but they usually come back so now I have to walk down the road half a mile and deposit them near a stream
inkliveeva
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-06-2011, 03:38 PM
None in my garden, but I think thats cause they know Inka and Toros there, had a great bloomin badger in the other night though, 3 o clock in the morning the wood pile falls over, wish they were a wee bit quieter ! x
Moon's Mum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-06-2011, 03:38 PM
Moon was running around in a dark park two winters ago and I heard him yelp. I ran over and he's staring at this spot on the grass with total surprise. It's a hedgehog! I think he'd sniffed it and it prickled his nose. Poor Moon looked ao confused He never tried to touch it again. I picked it up in my jumped and popped it over the fence into the childrens area so that it could snuggle away
sarah1983
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-06-2011, 03:44 PM
Yup, Rupert will kill them given the chance. I can always tell he's found one simply by the way he acts with them, it's completely different to how he acts with any other animal. I've rescued several from him, thankfully have never had to remove spines from him though.

Wolf used to fetch them to us, drop them at our feet and bounce back asking us to throw them. He never hurt them as far as we could tell, he just seemed to think they were a toy.
Elaine
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-06-2011, 06:03 PM
We have them in our garden and get bloody noses and then I spend the next few days de-fleaing the dogs form hedgehog fleas

So what do I do???? go round and catch them and put flea powder on them!!

But I do love to see them and I do put them over the fence into the field.
suecurrie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-06-2011, 07:29 PM
Haven't seen any this year yet but usually get one or two. Last year when Meggie went out for her last wee I realised she had been out for rather a long time. When I called her she came in with her paws absolutely caked in mud. Went out with torch and saw hedgehog unscathed but sitting in the middle of a big round muddy hole. (used to be lawn). Obviously Meggie didn't touch but tried to 'dig it out'. Love hedgehogs as they keep garden free of slugs.
Bitkin
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-06-2011, 08:02 PM
Originally Posted by suecurrie View Post
Haven't seen any this year yet but usually get one or two. Last year when Meggie went out for her last wee I realised she had been out for rather a long time. When I called her she came in with her paws absolutely caked in mud. Went out with torch and saw hedgehog unscathed but sitting in the middle of a big round muddy hole. (used to be lawn). Obviously Meggie didn't touch but tried to 'dig it out'. Love hedgehogs as they keep garden free of slugs.
You have brought back memories! Our last dog used to dig vast craters around the hedgehogs that she found out and about late at night, and although she was thankfully unable to harm the adults there was one dreadful year when she killed all the babies. I felt terrible about that for a very long time.
EgyptGal
Almost a Veteran
Female 

03-06-2011, 01:56 PM
We had one in our front garden a few nights ago they can't get into the back one though. so safe from my mutts! I have been told that they are having problems finding water beacause of how dry it's been and are dehyrating and dieing So popped a bowl of water out the front.
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2