View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Kerryowner
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-05-2011, 04:02 PM
By the way you could also try asking local dog owners-they may know the dog's name and address. This is how I found out the Rottweiller's details that attacked Cherry, other dog walkers I saw knew about this dog and knew its name and that it was unpredictable with other dogs and had bitten before. One of the regular dog walkers I meet gave me their address and I was able to reoprt it to the police and dog warden.

I do agree with SB that you should do as much as possible in cases like this. After all, if this dog has been in fights before (as seems likely from their conversation), if other victims had pursued it the dog may not have been free to attack yours.
k9paw
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-05-2011, 04:12 PM
Am so sorry to read this, hope Diesel is better soon and there are no lasting effects for any of you. Irresponsible, thoughtless people have no consideration for the consequences their disregard and arrogance(in many cases) brings including their own dog/s.
Thinking of you all
H.
2Greys
Dogsey Junior
Female 

27-05-2011, 04:14 PM
Poor Diesel, glad he's feeling perky apart despite his injuries. Its disgusting that they didn't at least try to help to get their dog off and then just leave endangering Honey too, no doubt to get out of trouble. They perhaps live local to the park and maybe someone will recognise them/the dog & be able to give more info.
monster hunter
Dogsey Junior
Male 

27-05-2011, 05:25 PM
I spoke to the vets, and asked them whether Diesel wearing his leather Greyhound collar saved him any further damage, and she said yes, she thinks because of how much neck it covers, and its a decent amount of leather that it more then likely did,
All I can think of after I read that.

http://www.dogsey.com/showthread.php?t=144943&page=4

Sorry your dog was attacked, hope there's no permanent damage.
chaz
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-05-2011, 08:59 AM
I've now got a number to ring, and meeting two different people about this aswell, I spoke to someone who knows of two dogs, a staffie and a staffie cross, one of the is brown and white, but she said that if it was them they'd be together, but now I'm wondering whether the owners have started walking them separetly if they have been having problems with them or something like that.

Originally Posted by boxergoggins View Post
how awful for you and the poor woofs. Hope Diesal carries on getting better...sending healing hugs your way...

Hope everything goes ok with the Police...I have my fingers crossed for you
Thank you, Diesel is better today, and I'm so pleased that since this has happened hes been fine with other dogs, I'm also talking to the town clerk asap too, as there have been problems of dogs being attacked in that area, so they are involved as well as police already, so I'm hopeful.

Originally Posted by Kerryowner View Post
So sorry to hear about this-how awful for you and what selfish, inconsiderate owners. Same with me when Cherry got attacked by the Rottweiller on the heath but I made such a scene calling for somone to call the police that the owner stopped moving away with his dog and came with me to the vets to pay the bill. This was because this dog had bitten before (although he awore to me it hadn't) and he was concerned re a report to the dog warden. He kept telling me it wasn't his dog and he was walking it for his Mum who had breast cancer. I am afraid I said I don't care about that-you are the one walking it and you are responsible. I wasn't going to let him get away with it-I was fuming.

We have had a lot of issues with Staffies and now I carry a Helix personal alarm and a pet corrector spray. The pet corrector spray I use in situations where people let their dogs charge at Cherry from one end of the field to another and she is on-lead, and the Helix alarm spray I use if the dog looked aggressive and I thought it was going to bite her. I will not let either of my dogs be put in the situation again where they get attacked by other dogs.

The Helix alarm emits an extremely loud piercing noise, an obnoxious smell and would mark the dog (or owner should you so wish!) for a week. It is perfectly legal too. I got mine in our local stationery shop but they probably sell them on e-bay. It is only small and I hope I never have to use it but I want to be prepared.

You don't always have time to get the alarm out-last time Cherry had a dog go for her it was in an area in Norwich where there are signs displayed every few hundred yards saying "All dogs MUST be on leads" and we just turned the corner and an off-lead Bearded Collie flew at her. I am afraid it met my foot first as she had just been released from Newmarket Animal Health Trust after an eye operation and was vulnerable. I had to kick it a few times as it came back for more. I really had a go at the owner for letting her aggressive dog fly at Cherry when all dogs were supposed to be on-lead anyway-some people are absolute "bottomholes" to put it politely!

However, should this dog had a hold on Cherry I would then have got the alarm out and used it near the dog's ears and nose to make it let go. I owuld certainly not want to get my hands anywhere near a fighting dog-especially not a Staffy with their jaw-power.
Poor Cherry, and I'll be looking out for one of them alarms, they sound great, so thank you.

Just checked-none on e-bay but if you go on to the internet and Helix website it is called a "Triple action areosol alarm"
I think this is much better than one that just emits a noise as I accidentally set mine off in my pocket once and you had to experience the smell to believe it! Dogs obviously have a much better sense of smell than us too.
Thanks, I'll go off and have a look now and will probally order one if I can.

Originally Posted by TabithaJ View Post
WELL SAID!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

My brother's dog was attacked in a very similar way to Diesel; ghastly. The owners of the other dog vanished after they finally managed to haul their dog away and my bro and his girlfriend were too shocked to ask for their details.

But I drove them mad to phone the police and they then found out there is an investigation going on into several vicious dogs in that particular park.

If people do not report these attacks then the ba$tards who let their dogs attack get away with it!

To the OP - how horrible for you and your dog, ghastly, ghastly experience. Sending all best wishes to you both!
Thanks, I've got a few people to meet about this, but fingers crossed something will be done about these owners.

Originally Posted by Wysiwyg View Post
Yes, people around my area have done this a few times when there have been dog on dog attacks that were pretty bad, with the attacked dog needing stitches and vet treatment.

And contact the police and the dog warden.

Poor Diesel, he looks like such a lovely boy. My dog also got jumped on today, whilst on lead, by a standard poodle, who charged across to us, but that's another story.

Wys
x
I will do, both things, poor old Diesel is a lovely boy, I was speaking to the people in the nursery who have met him, and even they couldn't believe it, but they are based in the area where it happened, so they will be looking out for a brown and white staffy for me.

Originally Posted by Wysiwyg View Post
By the way, I don't think this has been mentioned yet, but no dog has a "lock jaw" - they just have lots of muscle strength in their jaw and hang on, ever so much - so you certainly can get them off, but it's just very hard to do so and without damaging the other dog.

What you can try, is to get the collar if they have one on, and just twist it and twist it - either the dog will let go, or it will end up unconscious and you can then get the dog off. Very unpleasant to have to contemplate doing, though, and you do have to be careful of your own safety.

Wys
x

ETA: Oops, I see Brundog has mentioned about the lock jaw myth!
I already know that the lock jaws a myth, but at that point in time I wasn't really ready to argue with anyone about the stupidity that just come out of their mouth

By the way you could also try asking local dog owners-they may know the dog's name and address. This is how I found out the Rottweiller's details that attacked Cherry, other dog walkers I saw knew about this dog and knew its name and that it was unpredictable with other dogs and had bitten before. One of the regular dog walkers I meet gave me their address and I was able to reoprt it to the police and dog warden.

I do agree with SB that you should do as much as possible in cases like this. After all, if this dog has been in fights before (as seems likely from their conversation), if other victims had pursued it the dog may not have been free to attack yours.
I'm doing all I can right now, and I'm really hoping that something will come out of it.

Originally Posted by k9paw View Post
Am so sorry to read this, hope Diesel is better soon and there are no lasting effects for any of you. Irresponsible, thoughtless people have no consideration for the consequences their disregard and arrogance(in many cases) brings including their own dog/s.
Thinking of you all
H.
I must admit I do feel for the Staff, as I do feel that it may become the scapegoat in all of this, I've already had people telling me that I should of laid into it, and everything, but I'm thinking that even if I was like that, that would probally put Diesel in more danger, but some say that they would of carried on after they got it off, I do hope that the people who know whats happened do know whose really to blame though.

Originally Posted by 2Greys View Post
Poor Diesel, glad he's feeling perky apart despite his injuries. Its disgusting that they didn't at least try to help to get their dog off and then just leave endangering Honey too, no doubt to get out of trouble. They perhaps live local to the park and maybe someone will recognise them/the dog & be able to give more info.
I do wonder if they do, as the way that they left leads into some of the roads away from the town, and where there isn't really any parking, so I would of thought that unless their being clever they way that they started disapearing probally leads to where they live, but at that time once they started dispearing I was going to the fastest way to the vets with poor Diesel.

Originally Posted by monster hunter View Post
All I can think of after I read that.

http://www.dogsey.com/showthread.php?t=144943&page=4

Sorry your dog was attacked, hope there's no permanent damage.
Thanks, Diesel's is doing better, and the great thing is that I've managed to make him think that his tablets are treats, and even have to give Honey a treat after, as their both sitting down straight away and Honey's trying to give me her paw whenever I have to give them to Diesel bless them.
chaz
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-06-2011, 09:07 AM
I'm not sure how well this shows, but I found this Saturday, the vet did mention finding a red area, but I didn't think much of it, its hidden right under his armpit, theres also another wound, and I'm pretty sure that thats from the attack, and maybe what caused the air in his chest area.

SDC11325 by Charlie Jade., on Flickr

I also spoke to the guy who works in the park, who knows most of the dogs, and as he works for the council, and there is I found out a bye-law, that allows any out of control dogs to be fined £50, he's giving the owners of the dog a warning, and after now everytime the dog manages to attack another dog, thus being out of control, they will be faced with the fine, and police action if the owners want too. So he's telling them to keep the dog on the lead, and also informing them about how Staffords don't have lock jaw, so it seems right now that I wont be getting my money back, but maybe the threat of a fine and everything might make the owners think twice about letting their aggressive dog off lead, also I'm hoping that as the meadows I walk are owned by the council if the people ever bother going there that the same rules apply there too, as that area is great, and I don't want them moving from one area I walk straight to an even better one. But now I am a bit happier that maybe they will take notice and other dogs will be safer now.
scorpio
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-06-2011, 09:18 AM
Well at least something is being done about this dog, and any others that are allowed to attack others.

Did you have any luck with the details I gave you?

Hope Diesel is recovering well xx
chaz
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-06-2011, 09:22 AM
Yeah I did, thank you, I contacted the numbers I was given, and had a house visit yesterday, and its been reported, but I don't think much will come out of that, I think though that as they have it on record they are looking into whether the descriptions are the same, and are gonna try and get in contact with the owners, but I don't know where they live, so I think that the best bet now is the guy who works for the council.

Must say though, all the dog walkers I've spoken too are now on the lookout for the dog and owners, so if they go to the park again they will be seen, and hopefully someone will be able to get more info from them.
scorpio
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-06-2011, 09:33 AM
Originally Posted by chaz View Post
Yeah I did, thank you, I contacted the numbers I was given, and had a house visit yesterday, and its been reported, but I don't think much will come out of that, I think though that as they have it on record they are looking into whether the descriptions are the same, and are gonna try and get in contact with the owners, but I don't know where they live, so I think that the best bet now is the guy who works for the council.

Must say though, all the dog walkers I've spoken too are now on the lookout for the dog and owners, so if they go to the park again they will be seen, and hopefully someone will be able to get more info from them.
I'm glad that they took it seriously enough to come and visit you, a lot of people aren't even being given that sadly.

Hopefully, as you say, more and more people are on the look out and it may be that the information needed is obtained.

It all sounds a lot more positive than it did
chaz
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-06-2011, 09:38 AM
Originally Posted by scorpio View Post
I'm glad that they took it seriously enough to come and visit you, a lot of people aren't even being given that sadly.

Hopefully, as you say, more and more people are on the look out and it may be that the information needed is obtained.

It all sounds a lot more positive than it did
Well I was told by your friend to make sure that I rang up and requested one, so I made sure that I got one lol, I don't know what will come out of the police visit, but I know the guy who works in the park is a good one, he's the one who always gives out treats, and the love that him and every dog in the park has for each other is mutual, as he likes Diesel, so is really wanting to meet these people .
Page 5 of 6 « First < 2 3 4 5 6 >