Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
chaz
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-05-2011, 09:03 AM

Poor Diesel got attacked.

And not just in a little way, my precious boy, whose so gentle that he needed rescueing from a ragdoll cat who was stood in his way in the kitchen door has been left with a puncture wound on his throat and air in his chest, which spread to his neck area.

The walk started out ok, everything was fine, and then I heard someone shout my name, which sounded like someone I knew, so I turned around to see if it was them, the dogs must of thought that it was the same person as they turned round too and started wagging their tails, and then a brown and white staffy came out from behind a tree, the dogs ran around in a greeting for a few seconds, then all hell broke loose, I have to say though at this point Diesel was muzzled because of when he bit that other dogs face, but even without the muzzle I don't think he would of stood a chance, or even tried to fight back, as when the Staffie got hold of him all he tried to do was run back to me, Honey did, so I grabbed hold of her, Diesel was screaming, when me and the owners were all next to the dogs, my mind was going through what to do now, when the girl looked at me and simply said 'you wont get him off, he has a lock jaw', and tbh at that point in time I wasn't about to argue with her, so I asked her to hold Honey, who was terrified, but I told her because both the girl and Honey looked scared that Honey wouldn't bite, as I knew now that at that point in time I was on my own in saving my dog, and I went straight for the dogs mouth, as I know some people say to pull it by its back legs, but at that point all I could think of was that if I did just pull what other damage would be done? I put my finger on the Staffies tounge, and felt the grip loosen a bit, but everytime I went to pull one or the other dog moved, Diesel to try and run away, and the Staffie to get him again, it happened twice, so I moved myself, grabbed hold of the harness the staff was wearing, went for its mouth, putting pressure on its jaw and trying to open it with one hand, while having the other ready to pull him back, when I heard the boy that was with there ask outloud 'why do dogs always fight' at this point I was thinking ffs, this isn't a fight at all, its your dog attacking mine, but again wasn't ready to argue, and when the girl goes 'she wont get him off' the boy finally stepped into action, and this time when I got the mouth open he pulled and the dog was off, at this point though I noticed that my hands had blood all over, and at this point, no matter how callious it sounds, I didn't care whether I hurt the other dog, or even myself, I've done worse rescueing Honey, but I could see blood all over Diesel's neck, straight away I looked around, the Staffies owners were already walking away, and they had let Honey go, which after getting Diesel on a lead meant that because of how scared she was she was hard to catch, and I went straight to the vets, picking up a friend on the way to come with me, as I hadn't cried at this point, but I knew that there would be a chance at the vets that I might do if I went on my own.

At the vets Diesel was fantastic, he let people see his neck, I was stroking him in the waiting room and could feel something move when I got to his ribs, and I have to say, I was so worried that he had broken a rib or two, but when we got into the vets room I told her, and she said that she doesn't think that its a fracture, but air, but she couldn't see an injury there, and its too far away from the puncture wound, but something must of happened that I didn't see as it was too fast, but I have to say, I've always thought Diesel was a whimp, he's anything but, he even wagged his tail when he thought he was getting a treat, but £60 later I left with some synulox and a bandaged dog, both bandages there just to put pressure on his injuries really, and he even wagged his tail on the way home at a few passing dogs, so I think in that respect, we might be in the clear, but when it got around seven Diesel couldn't move, he didn't even lift his head up, or wag his tail, but the vets said to keep an eye on him, and if he gets worse to bring him in, I had already been told to keep an eye on his breathing because of where the puncture wound is, so I stayed with Diesel all night, and Honey slept in the living room, but thankfully when I woke up he had moved, and was cuddling into me, with a wagging tail, so I called Honey in, and we had a massive cuddle all of us, I have to say though, when I saw Diesel on my bed like that, I did cry, and I'm not ashamed to admit either.

But what is there I can do, the vet receptionist said to inform the police, people I know said to do that, but I don't think that they will be able to do anything, I am though gonna ask the guy who walks in the park if I can put some posters of Diesel in bandages, saying what injuries he has, and asking them, if they do anything, to either muzzle or keep their dog on a lead, as because the guy said 'always fight' I don't think that this is the first time its happened, Diesel though did get lucky, I spoke to the vets, and asked them whether Diesel wearing his leather Greyhound collar saved him any further damage, and she said yes, she thinks because of how much neck it covers, and its a decent amount of leather that it more then likely did, so I'm thanking my lucky stars he was wearing it, and also that he's not a smaller dog either, but I'm still so angry that a dog was able to do this, and the owners stood around, because he had a lock jaw.

Heres a few photos of him, and I'm sorry for the long post,

SDC11311 by Charlie Jade., on Flickr

This is the wound on his throat, thank god for Greyhound collars.

SDC11315 by Charlie Jade., on Flickr

SDC11313 by Charlie Jade., on Flickr
Ben Mcfuzzylugs
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-05-2011, 09:12 AM
Oh I am so sorry, how scary for you all
I hope everything heals nice and quick and there is no lasting damage from this

I think I would have a word with the police anyway - you never know you might fing a good one!
Lynn
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Gold Supporter 

27-05-2011, 09:15 AM
Poor Diesel I hope he feels better soon.

So many irresponsible people out there lately. I am beginning to wonder if it is worth owning another dog again.

I would have a word with the Police
rune
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-05-2011, 09:19 AM
Etta sends licks and I send hugs. He'll feel better soon.

Good luck with finding the culprit.

rune
grommit
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-05-2011, 09:22 AM
Oh how awful, your post has made me cry. Poor diesel. I do hope his wounds heal soon. Like the others have said i think you need to let the police know, even if they havent heard anything before this, it may help their case if it ever happens to someone elses doggy in the future. Take care all of you, it sounded like a very traumatic experience for you all. Greyhound shaped hugs on their way from Phil and Paris xxx
lisa01uk87
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-05-2011, 09:24 AM
oh no poor diesel, gentle hugs to him and a big one for you too xxx

idiot owners, id report it, if nothing else they will have it on record what this dog has done
kirsty_
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-05-2011, 09:29 AM
Just reading that upset me, you and diesel must have been terrified. Hope diesel recovers soon.
smokeybear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-05-2011, 09:31 AM
Originally Posted by chaz View Post
But what is there I can do, the vet receptionist said to inform the police, people I know said to do that, but I don't think that they will be able to do anything,
Right I am going to sound harsh here but ALL the time people take the defeatist attitude of "I don't think they will be able to do anything" NOTHING will get done!

People ARE prosecuted for dog on dog attacks whatever may be said about it here or anywhere else; so report it to both the police and dog warden.

Insist on an incident number; and pursue it.

I am not sure if everyone is aware of the organisation Justice for Dogs? It is worth EVERYONE joining for legal advice and help is at the end of the phone.

http://www.collienet.com/justicefordogs.htm

Why should ANYONE be at risk from this sort of behaviour? There is no need to and if this had happened to me, there would be no avenue I would not pursue.
Elaine
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-05-2011, 09:32 AM
Poor Diesel. Hope he soon feels better.
You really must tell the police and the dog warden, OK they might not do anything, but if it happens again to you or someone else at least they have a record.
People like this make me sick!!!! I am so lucky as where I live they are all responsible people and where we often walk, we very rarely see any one else.

Sending gentle hugs to Diesel, I have a special place in my heart for lurchers and greyhounds.
xx
Insomnia
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-05-2011, 09:32 AM
Poor poor Diesel, he looks so forlorn in the picture. I can't believe not only did they not try and help, but they walked away and left Honey! It's made me think about putting a leather Greyhound collar on Axel instead of his martingale, sounds safer.
I hope he heals quickly, such a trooper. I know I've never met them, but I feel like I know Honey and Diesel, send him hugs from me and Axel please
Please keep us posted
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 > Last »