Our sister sites
Our sister sites
MichaelM
Dogsey Senior
Male 

09-05-2011, 01:53 PM
Thread resurrection.

Originally Posted by DevilDogz View Post
A puppy farm is anyone that breeds from a number of dogs a year to supply demand, for self gain/profit. Some will health test and breed every other season doesnt make them any less of a puppy farmer.
There is no need for any one breeder to have so many litters in one year - It would seem they are breeding for profit - nothing more.
Just the half of it.

I stumbled across an ad for GSD pups and followed the link back to the same site/breeder to which I refered in the OP.

As well as the previously mentioned litters, now on their website:

Sky - litter due 9/02/11 (not a kennel dog, but relative's dog).
Riha - gave birth on 04/04/11
Gypsy - Due 27/06/11
Blue - Due 29/06/11
Zara - Due 05/07/11

I didn't name the Kennel last time, but here it is: Celtacastus

I honestly can't imagine why anyone who genuinely cares about GSD's would breed so many litters. I'm genuinely saddened by this.
GSD-Sue
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-05-2011, 02:41 PM
I can see why that many litters may be planned in some ways because looking at their web-site the dogs all live in close proximity so they will probably come in season together. However these people are NOT breeding to improve the breed. Yes they are registered accreditted breeders by he Kennel Club but that just means they do the required tests & pay their money. Personally I'm not interested in acredited breeder status. I want to see dogs hip & elbow scored & breed surveyed. Then I want to see they are improving the breed in some way. Either doing well at shows, breed or obedience, or have working trials qualifications This web-site put me off immediately when she said she bred for unusual colours & one of the dogs was champagne coloured. She also said she deliberately bred long & short coats. Now most breeders do have both coats in a litter but they don't deliberately set out to do so. In my opinion these are just pet people who have got acredited status from the KC & a licence from the council to help sell their dogs.
x-clo-x
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-05-2011, 03:10 PM
5 litters is far too many!! keeping track of who belonged to who is going to be a mission in itself!

im glad youre not anti breeder, as there as so many good ones out there, its just a case of digging deep and finding them which is a shame really
rueben
Dogsey Senior
Female 

09-05-2011, 03:56 PM
Appalling !! There is no way this breeder is interested in anything other than lining his/her pocket. When is some thing constructive going to be done about this.More legalized power needs to be given to the bodies who controll animal welfare to be able to clamp down on this problem.It may not stamp it out but tighter laws would enable them to clamp down when a situation is reported.
JoedeeUK
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-05-2011, 06:02 PM
Originally Posted by rueben View Post
Appalling !! There is no way this breeder is interested in anything other than lining his/her pocket. When is some thing constructive going to be done about this.More legalized power needs to be given to the bodies who controll animal welfare to be able to clamp down on this problem.It may not stamp it out but tighter laws would enable them to clamp down when a situation is reported.
There are already enough legal powers to stop people like this & I know one local EHO get the local papers & check the internet for people breeding & the number of litters, they do follow up when they find peope breaking the law, by breeding too many litters & not being LA Licensed
MichaelM
Dogsey Senior
Male 

09-05-2011, 06:22 PM
Originally Posted by JoedeeUK View Post
There are already enough legal powers to stop people like this & I know one local EHO get the local papers & check the internet for people breeding & the number of litters, they do follow up when they find peope breaking the law, by breeding too many litters & not being LA Licensed
I'm not sure there's anything that can be done here. The dogs are all (I think ) hip scored, though can't see any mention of elbows/haemophilia. They're licensed, there doesn't seem to be any law being broken. But the number of pups being produced is to my mind simply immoral.
jimg
New Member!
Male 

19-11-2016, 08:25 AM
Originally Posted by MichaelM View Post
Thread resurrection.

Just the half of it.

I stumbled across an ad for GSD pups and followed the link back to the same site/breeder to which I refered in the OP.

As well as the previously mentioned litters, now on their website:

Sky - litter due 9/02/11 (not a kennel dog, but relative's dog).
Riha - gave birth on 04/04/11
Gypsy - Due 27/06/11
Blue - Due 29/06/11
Zara - Due 05/07/11

I didn't name the Kennel last time, but here it is: Celtacastus

I honestly can't imagine why anyone who genuinely cares about GSD's would breed so many litters. I'm genuinely saddened by this.
Totally disagree. I bought a beautiful GSD from Celtacastus 4 years ago. Her name is Bonnie. Father Scooby and Mother Cassie. My dog is healthy, super smart and a huge part of my family. Keep up the good work Celtacastus.
Moobli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-11-2016, 10:36 AM
Originally Posted by jimg View Post
Totally disagree. I bought a beautiful GSD from Celtacastus 4 years ago. Her name is Bonnie. Father Scooby and Mother Cassie. My dog is healthy, super smart and a huge part of my family. Keep up the good work Celtacastus.
There are bound to be differences of opinion on what constitutes a good and ethical breeder. It is great to hear you are so happy with your dog. Welcome to Dogsey by the way. Do you have photos of Bonnie to share?
jimg
New Member!
Male 

19-11-2016, 12:17 PM
Originally Posted by Moobli View Post
There are bound to be differences of opinion on what constitutes a good and ethical breeder. It is great to hear you are so happy with your dog. Welcome to Dogsey by the way. Do you have photos of Bonnie to share?
Here is Bonnie
Attached Thumbnails (Click to enlarge)
Click image for larger version

Name:	Bonnie.jpg
Views:	279
Size:	27.2 KB
ID:	5305  
Moobli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-11-2016, 12:41 PM
Beautiful photo and she looks to be a very gorgeous girl.
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2