View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
scorpio
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-05-2010, 03:31 PM
Well I suppose I could find an overseas site that tells me my chosen breed need not be health tested and then tell all potential puppy owners that they needn't live in fear of their dogs being unable to walk or hear and point them to said site to confirm it.
mishflynn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-05-2010, 03:32 PM
non reg working, I'll post some later
SBL
yes please!!!!!
SBL
Dogsey Junior
Male 

26-05-2010, 03:33 PM
Well, as I say I agree that the American system and breeds differ from the UK and as such there are bound to be differences, however, I'm sure you'd agree the American systems of veterinary science and health checks are fairly comparable to ours, or perhaps not.
Jackie
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

26-05-2010, 03:35 PM
hey why cant i quote on here? How are you all doing it?
LOL!! you and me both , got it know.
labradork
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-05-2010, 03:37 PM
Love how SBL ignored what I said about HD and eye conditions!
SBL
Dogsey Junior
Male 

26-05-2010, 03:38 PM
I'm not sure I've ignored you, certainly not intentionally, but if you feel I have please repost and I'll answer.
scorpio
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-05-2010, 03:41 PM
ok SBL, I understand what you're getting at about vet science being comparable, but were your sire and dam american imports having been bred out of dogs that meet the requirements set on the site you have directed us to, or were they both uk bred from uk parents that would not have the benefit of these bloodlines in them? If they are imports then I take back all that I have said.
SBL
Dogsey Junior
Male 

26-05-2010, 03:42 PM
@labradork I assume you mean this

And for the record, hip dysplasia is a polygenic condition (influenced by environment), but it is still 100% genetic. Over exercising a puppy won't CAUSE HD in a puppy that doesn't already have the condition. It WILL make the condition worse in a puppy that already HAS the condition. HD doesn't often make itself clear until the puppy is past 6 months old.
Please see the links posted earlier

As for eye conditions, without testing your Collie or your Spaniel, you have no idea if your dogs are carriers. For all you know, both your dogs are carriers. It is IMPOSSIBLE for you to say what your dogs are unless you have certifications for both your dogs parents stating that they are clear not carriers of whatever eye conditins affect each breed. Only then could you determine whether your dogs are clear by parentage.
collie eye anomaly is a rescevie gene, meaning you'd need two collies carrying the gene to effect the dog. A breeder wouldn't not breed from a carrier, they wouldn't breed from two carriers.
Jackie
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

26-05-2010, 03:43 PM
I'm not sure I've ignored you, certainly not intentionally, but if you feel I have please repost and I'll answer.
Did you also answer the question regarding the age of your bitch and stud dog..
SBL
Dogsey Junior
Male 

26-05-2010, 03:45 PM
@scorpio. The question in hand was whether collies and springers get tested, well clearly in America they do, as I make clear that does not mean the figures are the same in Britain, but it's suggestive none-the-less as our systems are not dissimilar.
Page 7 of 16 « First < 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 > Last »